Millionaire CT and Alphas CT

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Millionaire CT and Alphas CT

Post by rando » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:39 am

Hey all,

Anyone that owns both could point to major differences between the two (besides the frame of course)?
I noticed both are offered in exact same gear ratios so I am curious if they share the same guts.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Millionaire CT and Alphas CT

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 am

I'm interested as well. I would imagine that they do because I know the CVZs and pixy/alphas can swap several parts. I'm waiting on that Millionaire to go down in price. ](*,)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 am
I'm interested as well. I would imagine that they do because I know the CVZs and pixy/alphas can swap several parts. I'm waiting on that Millionaire to go down in price. ](*,)
Dave is correct. The guts are indeed the same. Daiwa took 2 of their proven platforms and re-introduced them as CT reels with smaller diameter spools. The only thing that was required to be changed from their respective og versions was a shorter stroke worm gear and a longer pinion gear. Heck, even the main gears with like ratios are the same from the Alphas SV105 to the new Alphas CT version.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am

I was expecting this answer. Thanks!
So it is simply a matter of which platform one prefers, but the package inside remains the same.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:41 am

Did they go back to the aluminum side plate on the alpha or is it still zaion?

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:27 pm

It feels like zion to me, I have not payed attention last time opened it.

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:50 pm

From Daiwa Scandinavia website regarding alphas CT, appears to be aluminijum side plate.
"A precision designed solid aluminium frame and gear side plates deliver maximum power, unrivalled durability and reliability, while the Alphas CT SV ergonomically designed profile fits beautifully in the palm of the hand for ultimate comfort and control."

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:50 pm
From Daiwa Scandinavia website regarding alphas CT, appears to be aluminijum side plate.
"A precision designed solid aluminium frame and gear side plates deliver maximum power, unrivalled durability and reliability, while the Alphas CT SV ergonomically designed profile fits beautifully in the palm of the hand for ultimate comfort and control."
It's typically the non handle side plate that's Zaion. I was under the impression that the Alphas has always been full aluminum.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Pastrmka wrote:
It's typically the non handle side plate that's Zaion. I was under the impression that the Alphas has always been full aluminum.
From Daiwa's website about the sv105.

Perfect for casting lightweight small lures on light line. Featuring aluminum frame and a Zaion side plate on the gear side.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 pm
Pastrmka wrote:
From Daiwa's website about the sv105.

Perfect for casting lightweight small lures on light line. Featuring aluminum frame and a Zaion side plate on the gear side.
Well damn...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:09 pm

It looks just like the old aluminum handle side plates from the Alphas reels. It definitely does not look like that weird edgy Zaion plate they used on some of the reels. +1 IMO. I don't need yet another Alphas but man do I want the new non-TWS one despite the stupid name. "Alphas 70 CT"

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:09 pm
It looks just like the old aluminum handle side plates from the Alphas reels. It definitely does not look like that weird edgy Zaion plate they used on some of the reels. +1 IMO. I don't need yet another Alphas but man do I want the new non-TWS one despite the stupid name. "Alphas 70 CT"
Stupid name not withstanding, it's a fantastic little reel. I bought one new, then sold it off due to unexpected bills. Then I bought another one, and I wont let this one go.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am
LowRange wrote:
Stupid name not withstanding, it's a fantastic little reel. I bought one new, then sold it off due to unexpected bills. Then I bought another one, and I wont let this one go.
What do you like about it Tim? Does it cast noticeably better with light baits than the standard Alphas SV? I'm really digging the SV Light Limited spool. Do you own one for comparison sakes?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 am
LowRange wrote:
What do you like about it Tim? Does it cast noticeably better with light baits than the standard Alphas SV? I'm really digging the SV Light Limited spool. Do you own one for comparison sakes?
I sold the SV Light I had. The Alphas CT does cast light stuff a hair better imho. It's honestly in my top 5 smoothest reels ever. It's right up there with my Steez SV TW in how enjoyable it is to use. It's not quite as smooth as the Steez CT, however. I've never had a reel even close to the Steez CT in smoothness.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks Tim