20 Shimano Exsence DC SS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

20 Shimano Exsence DC SS

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:34 pm

I was trying to search and see if anyone's created a thread yet regarding the 2020 Shimano Exsence DC SS, but could not find one.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on one yet and what they're using it for?

I was in the market of picking up another Bantam MGL for frogging, but may opt for this instead, so just wondering how big the frame is how it's easy to palm.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/5924

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 20 Shimano Exsence DC SS

Post by Senkobass1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 pm

I believe the frame is the same as the curado dc frame. It’s a curado dc with a special tune for braid and bigger baits. I use my curado dc for frogging and it’s a nice reel overall. Pretty easy to palm. I have not fished the Bantam MGL yet so I can’t give my opinion on the difference between the two when fished. The bantam MGL to me is much easier to palm and is so much more compact.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:40 pm

I agree with Senkobass1 ... just looking at the reel's spec and photos, the new Exsence DC SS looks a lot like the Curado DC. Which is disappointing because the original Exsence was derived from the Chronarch D.

Zander has the 2017 model I believe, and that one is essentially a saltwater safe Antares DC.

Strange that they went backwards. Maybe Exsence is becoming its own line of saltwater DC reels. That was the intent of the original Exsence - a saltwater safe DC platform.

If you were considering a Bantam MGL originally, I'd stick with that. If you want something lighter, the new Metanium MGL would suit too.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:25 am

Cal wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:40 pm
I agree with Senkobass1 ... just looking at the reel's spec and photos, the new Exsence DC SS looks a lot like the Curado DC. Which is disappointing because the original Exsence was derived from the Chronarch D.

Zander has the 2017 model I believe, and that one is essentially a saltwater safe Antares DC.

Strange that they went backwards. Maybe Exsence is becoming its own line of saltwater DC reels. That was the intent of the original Exsence - a saltwater safe DC platform.

If you were considering a Bantam MGL originally, I'd stick with that. If you want something lighter, the new Metanium MGL would suit too.
The SS labels are on the lower cost aluminum framed saltwater reels based on the Curado frame. Stile and Stephano are labeled the same way. Stile/Stephano based on Aldebaran, Stile SS/Stephano SS based on Curado 70. Makes sense for them to use the 200 size frame for this platform.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:50 am

Ahhh... so it's the "SS" label that's the sub-lineup feature. Thanks! I'm beginning to miss the days when all Shimano spinning reels had names beginning with "S" and casting reels with names beginning in "C" :lol: :lol: ... then again, that was just a Shimano North America thing anyway. The JDM division has always been much more free spirited. :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 pm

There's another Exsence DC from a couple years ago that has the 4x8 DC system. It's like $550 though. The SS is the dumbed down version, though I'm sure it's a fine reel. I think it's like the BB, CI4+, and magnesium Exsence spinning reels, even though all have the same Exsence name.