Rod with power between Leben C71MH+RST2S TT & Leben C71H+TT / Jigga Stick

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod with power between Leben C71MH+RST2S TT & Leben C71H+TT / Jigga Stick

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm

I have the Leben C71MH+RST2S TT and the Leben C71H+TT

They are both absolutely fantastic rods! However while the MH is unbelievable for lighter texas rigs and lighter jigs it's got a little less power than id like for when texas rigging creature baits and most jigs. The C71H torque tune is also unbelievable but its a little more heavy powered than I prefer for casting texas rigs or 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs. I also got the Steez RD Jigga Stick which is awesome but very similar in power to the C71H torque tune. Are their any Designo or Steez RD rods that are kind of right in the middle of these in terms of power?

I love the power of the Megabass F5 rods like the Nautilus or Javelin but prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the Designo & Steez rods. The ones I have are either lighter or heavier in power so looking for one that would more closely match up.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod with power between Leben C71MH+RST2S TT & Leben C71H+TT / Jigga Stick

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:05 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm
I have the Leben C71MH+RST2S TT and the Leben C71H+TT

They are both absolutely fantastic rods! However while the MH is unbelievable for lighter texas rigs and lighter jigs it's got a little less power than id like for when texas rigging creature baits and most jigs. The C71H torque tune is also unbelievable but its a little more heavy powered than I prefer for casting texas rigs or 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs. I also got the Steez RD Jigga Stick which is awesome but very similar in power to the C71H torque tune. Are their any Designo or Steez RD rods that are kind of right in the middle of these in terms of power?

I love the power of the Megabass F5 rods like the Nautilus or Javelin but prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the Designo & Steez rods. The ones I have are either lighter or heavier in power so looking for one that would more closely match up.
Of that same caliber and jdm style of rod; if you don’t mind something slightly under 7ft, I might suggest the oltre 69mh. Challenging to find, yes, but for some reason there’s been a lot of them floating around of late. If you already have an RD, I know you’d like both hustler models, which are just awesome rods. The technical tune might fit your preference.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:13 pm

I don't want to go below 7ft. Would I be correct to understand the Technical Tune is the better all around rod but the Finesse tune is better if its only for bottom contact? The Leben C71MH+RST2STT is a pretty awesome all around rod for how I fish but a hair under powered for allot of my bottom contact while the Leben H torque tune & Jigga Stick are a bit overpowered for what I prefer for the majority of my bottom contact.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:43 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:13 pm
I don't want to go below 7ft. Would I be correct to understand the Technical Tune is the better all around rod but the Finesse tune is better if its only for bottom contact? The Leben C71MH+RST2STT is a pretty awesome all around rod for how I fish but a hair under powered for allot of my bottom contact while the Leben H torque tune & Jigga Stick are a bit overpowered for what I prefer for the majority of my bottom contact.
I think either RD hustler would fit pretty well in the middle of those two. Both are 7’, and both are excellent fishing. I would agree finesse tune is better for bottom contact, but the tech tune is no slouch either, and more versatile. Both handle the same weight baits and fish their full range well also. You may even wanna check out the new 72h ultima as well since it fishes lighter than a heavy rod.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:46 pm

The MH+ is rated to 1.5 oz, the H+ is rated to 4oz (if I am not mistaken)

The 2020 DV7-CHRS4 is rated 3/8th-2oz. You can get it in a 7'1 or a 7'4. If you want to get fancy, you can dictate what kind of guides are on it, which will dictate the action (ala EG)

I don't speak from personal experience on this rod...(yet)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:22 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:13 pm
I don't want to go below 7ft. Would I be correct to understand the Technical Tune is the better all around rod but the Finesse tune is better if its only for bottom contact?

This is a fair interpretation. I think the finesse tune can do more than bottom contact in a pinch, however. I haven’t done enough back and forth testing between the two with the same baits, but the TT has fallen into those smaller jig duties for me, while I’ve liked the FT for t-rigs and c-rigs of all sorts, particularly big worms. Really get a good sense if anything feels off with this rod when fishing those. The big girls can sometimes slurp those things up ever so delicately and I like to set my hook fast so I’m not doing deep extractions from behind the gills.

As for the TT, I’ll usually switch between slooow bouncing and gently swimming the same 3/8 oz + trailer jig as I’m figuring out what the fish want that day and that rod does it particularly well for me.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:46 pm

The 2020 DV7-CHRS4 is rated 3/8th-2oz. You can get it in a 7'1 or a 7'4. If you want to get fancy, you can dictate what kind of guides are on it, which will dictate the action (ala EG)

This actually sounds like it might be exactly what I want! I do prefer the looks and ergonomics of the Designo rods just a bit more than the RD. I feel I have a more solid grip and their is less movement and loss of power on the hookset which is totally personal but a real thing with hooksets on bottom contact. It seems pretty complicated though to actually order one and some of the options I worry I would't be selecting exactly what I wanted.

I was also looking at the DV6-C71HR AVANT rated 3/8 to 3 oz but not sure if it would in practice fish any less powerfully than the Heavy Torque Tune or Jigga Stick.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:

This actually sounds like it might be exactly what I want! I do prefer the looks and ergonomics of the Designo rods just a bit more than the RD. I feel I have a more solid grip and their is less movement and loss of power on the hookset which is totally personal but a real thing with hooksets on bottom contact. It seems pretty complicated though to actually order one and some of the options I worry I would't be selecting exactly what I wanted.

I was also looking at the DV6-C71HR AVANT rated 3/8 to 3 oz but not sure if it would in practice fish any less powerfully than the Heavy Torque Tune or Jigga Stick.
I have the DV6-C611HR AVANT and it fishes noticeably lighter than the 71h leben torque tune. I’ve only been out with it a 2-3 times, but I lucked into some good fish with it on one of those occasions. It’s somewhere between the RD hustlers and jigga stick for sure. Not as easy to place because of its sweet taper. That is a gem of a rod. The 71 version has to be pure gold. Now, if you can find one, hats off brother.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm

I have the DV6-C611HR AVANT and it fishes noticeably lighter than the 71h leben torque tune. I’ve only been out with it a 2-3 times, but I lucked into some good fish with it on one of those occasions. It’s somewhere between the RD hustlers and jigga stick for sure. Not as easy to place because of its sweet taper. That is a gem of a rod. The 71 version has to be pure gold. Now, if you can find one, hats off brother.
I sent you a PM of one I saw currently for sale. However I wasn't interested as it seemed to have a plain matte black ECS reel seat rather than the DSCS or DRCS ones on mine that I am in love with and I was unsure if spiral wrapped or not.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:20 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:14 pm

I sent you a PM of one I saw currently for sale. However I wasn't interested as it seemed to have a plain matte black ECS reel seat rather than the DSCS or DRCS ones on mine that I am in love with and I was unsure if spiral wrapped or not.

Thanks and good find. I realize I actually had seen that one. I dismissed it at the time and it didn’t end up in my memory bank for similar reasons. Why buy designo with a bunch of fuji parts on it? Also, I thought it had looked more used than I’d ever bother with an auction rod. Upon more careful inspection, it’s a helluva rod that price, which appears to have come down.

I recall that website and order form that Aquaftm had posted indicated many options for semi-orders including Fuji seats for those so inclined. I’m with you on that one; the designo rod parts are part of the entire allure of the rod for me; even though the blank is the main reason.

Regarding your feelings about ordering one directly from Designo; I feel the same way. I’m just not sure I could pull that off without having a Japanese speaking third party go between to submit that order form. Also, I’m not sure I’ve wrapped my head around the when and where’s; in one case it appears like rolling order, while in other cases I see specific dates. I have a feeling Aquaftm has the process figured out.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:18 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 am

Regarding your feelings about ordering one directly from Designo; I feel the same way. I’m just not sure I could pull that off without having a Japanese speaking third party go between to submit that order form. Also, I’m not sure I’ve wrapped my head around the when and where’s; in one case it appears like rolling order, while in other cases I see specific dates. I have a feeling Aquaftm has the process figured out.
Not in the slightest. Although, I think I mentioned what path I would try.
I don't think your going to need to do a special order for the H versions. I assume at some point this year, they will release production models that utilizes the 6 and 7 versions of the blank.
Reviewing the order form I posted, looks like the new king of the hill is the "RANDAULE" with versions of the 6 and 7 blank. yummy..

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:32 am

Here you go Hungry, should arrive at your door COD via Proshop K in about 2 months.
I went with the purple trim to match your Voilet Monoblock. Full TI/Tor guides w/ 5mm at the top so you can pass braid to leader. Full cork. I'm not sure what that fourth option is, but at $60 why not? Thank me later :lol: :lol:
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 10.26.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 10.26.38 AM.png (78.59 KiB) Viewed 6714 times

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:

Within the current Designo Lineup on hand, I also own a Semi Order DV7 71CHRS4 (Outstanding rod) and have a Semi Order DV7-C71MH+RS4 (rated up to 1.5oz) with Cork/all black accents being made for me right now. Although it’s a couple of inches shorter, I also have a brand new 10th Anniversary Torque Tune (DL7) DLT-C611H+R4S LTD (rated up to 3oz along with other Designos) on their way to me. All 3 should be fantastic BC sticks. My suggestion is to not be afraid of the slightly shorter 611 sticks. It’s much more about the taper/level 6-7 blanks/ST-vs-Non-St rods than anything. There’s plenty of power in the shorter blanks. I used to gravitate towards only longer sticks, but that has changed DRASTICALLY. Side note...“H+“ can be rated to 3 OR 4 oz depending on blank/taper. For example...The DLT- C74H+R2S-B I have is a Level 6 blank, rated to 4oz, while the DLT-C611H+R4S is a level 7 blank rated to 3oz. 8 Designos total in the stable, which is plenty for me to continue familiarizing myself with over the coming months. I need to stop buying....🤦🏻‍♂️