Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm

domthewon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm
RISE wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:01 am
domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm
RISE wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 pm
domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm
I had to do it. Just got my 701MH/HXB-ST. Even though this is my 5th RD it's impressive. Definitely has some added sensitivity compared to the other 7' models and even compared to the 641 SMT although different feeling. It is slightly more clear than the others almost like they turned the bass down and added some treble which makes it easier to differentiate between types of substrate instead of being slightly muffled. The taper is awesome and similar to the Evergreen Rapid Gunner with slightly less power and a more of a Ferrari like feel rather than Rolls Royce, and I'm not just talking about color schemes. For those who have fished and love the MB X7 extreme mission like me. It's a shorter, similar taper with more balls, sensitivity, and a less fragile feeling. Definitely gonna be throwing tungsten on this bad boy and move the hustler technical tune to moving baits as it has the more versatile tip. Initially I was debating another of the EG Inspirare over this RD because they are also some of the best fishing rods period, but I really wanted to see what this rod was all about. In my head i was like how the hell is Daiwa gonna come out with another hustler in 2020, and have me go buy two 7' rods with with nearly the same specs except weight and taper? ](*,) . Well it ate at me and I had to know how it would fit in their line-up and stack-up to the rest and I took the "red pill" again. It definitely stacks up and fits in, but I just wish this came out when the other hustler was released. Of the two models I prefer the action of the Finesse version for bottom contact. It's faster than the Technical tune, and the added clarity to the sensitivity in my hands is noticeable with identical baits. The Technical tune is more of a vote for One rod challenge that can do everything pretty well including bottom contact techniques. This will be my 3/8 weight + plastic texas rig special although it can handle more, I have the RSR for those duties. I am gonna need more time, but I'm really happy with my choice, and would highly recommend any of these rods. A special shot out to Gary and the TT guys for working with me and getting it in my hands during these tough times Thank You.
BBD7DDE1-0C34-4460-B1D9-E9884D840649.jpeg
Here are a couple of pics of the taper of the 3 rods I mentioned. In doing this back to back I could feel that the tips on the Extreme mission and Hustler were more similar in feel and the extra power the RSR has. Also the RSR is slightly faster and has 12 guides including the tip compared to 11 on the other 2. These are not high stick hook sets FYI this is slightly out and away more natural.
Extreme mission
AD6B0A98-F21C-4108-9917-D79CC816F48D.jpeg
Steez Hustler Finesse Tune
3FE86999-2C39-45A1-B619-73FA5A0B165A.jpeg
Evergreen RSR Rapid Gunner
B26AE797-7C55-4E65-8268-9DD0EB62E9D8.jpeg
Congrats on the new stick, Dom. So you are saying the 701MH/HXB-ST is more sensitive than the one piece blank of the RD 701MH/HFB ? That’s quite surprising as solid tip designs (aside from the Oltres which are different animals IMO) are usually less sensitive by nature (being its two pieces vs. one continuous blank) and are usually designed more for handling lighter weights/imparting action/allegedly helping to capitalize on light bites. The Oltres are different as they don’t sport that x-fast taper that most solid tip builds do. Of course...as manufacturers such as Designo, EG and others have started mastering solid tip builds, many of them sport that “dual taper” to alleviate stress at the junction between the two parts of the blank, and hence the slower taper of the Oltres due to the lack of any actual “soft” tip section, being that Ti tip is quite stout as you know, again making them a separate breed altogether...JMO. I had somewhat decided to pass on the RD ST as I love my Torque Tunes, EGs and other ST builds so much, but if you are saying it’s truly more sensitive than similar length and power one piece blanks, in the same class, I may have to re-visit that decision, and grab one. Color me surprised, to say the least.
RISE,
Thank you. In my opinion and hands yes the sensitivity on the Hustler finesse tune feels at least as clear as the Hustler tech tune if not better. I was only comparing it to others in the RD line up not other brands. I'm not sure if it's the solid tip feel, or the way the tip bounces with the bait as you drag/work it around with the X-fast/Fast tip, but something about it is very satisfying. I really like how it fits in with the rest of the line up of Racing Designs I own. It is so light and powerful for being 7' and 2 piece ST. I think its only 3.7 ounces or so. It's definitely the best suited RD model for lower to mid weighted Texas rigs and fun to fish. I know what you mean about the different ways companies put their solid tips on the rods and am learning the differences between how they act from brand to brand the more I get to fish them. Some are more dull feeling in the sensitivity department but really shine in visual bite detection and working the bottom topography of your lake. This rod has both features the sensitivity, and the tip in one. The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way, and no the RD's just aren't as sensitive, or are most rods from any other brand that I own. I still think it's an excellent rod and they fish comparably and i like the RD backbone a little better. Neither really fish like an Oltre or even the RD SMT. It feels like fishing the RSR with its solid backbone that just seems to shut down after that Xfast/Fast tip gets enough load on it. Except with a lighter thinner walled, slightly less powered, feel of the Hustler tech tunes blank. It also doesn't feel as cushioned on the loadup as the RSR which is one of the reasons I compared them as a Ferrari and Rolls Royce in my first review, although maybe Bently would be a closer car comparison. It's not a knock on either just a different feeling between blanks which I'm sure you get. I also believe the RSR is more sensitive than any of the RD's and just above my B70H, and is just below my Leben C71H+TT limited which in my opinion is a cattle prod. It's the most sensitive rod I own, and definitely more sensitive than the mh/h st mentioned above. It's 1 piece non ST. Which is why I get your confusion about how it can be more sensitive being 2 piece and solid tip compared to 1 piece design. All I can say is that's what impressed me about the Hustler finesse tune. It's a total package ST rod and every bit as sensitive as the hustler tech tune and might be slightly more sensitive than the jigga stick due to it being the heavier rod of the 3. If you like the feel of the racing designs and solid tip rods you will really like this rod. I really hate putting sensitivity comments out there just cause it's all my opinion and not fact but you know they feel to you so it will help you judge for yourself. Plus at this level all these rods sensitivity is just ridiculous and becomes more of what other factors do you prefer. I am not partial to any brand of rod, but only partial to the best rods each brand has to offer and this rod is one of them. Being you are probably one of the few people even in the TT universe that have had the privilege to fish many of the finest rods in the world, and own more than one ST, Oltre, RD, an RSR, and Leben you will be able to figure out if this is a rod for you.
I hope this helps brother.

I appreciate the clarification, Dom. Couldn’t agree more about the sensitivity at this level of rods and personal preferences. Almost splitting hairs these days. There really are just so many outstanding offerings out there. I’ve got so many rods backed up in line, waiting to be fished, yet I can’t stop buying, and now it looks like I’ll have to add the Finesse Tune based on the comments you and Polkfish have made. Still tough to justify when the EGs/RSR, Oltres, Designo Vantage Semi Order, Super Techna TZ, Designo Leggera Ltd, Fragment Jig Game, Torque Tunes and others are so damn good. But you know how it goes... 1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough.

Funny thing is when a rod shows up that you didn’t expect to be THAT impressive (due to price point or other factors), but ends up outperforming sticks that cost twice, sometimes 3 times as much.
Being that I am also NOT brand loyal, and always seeking to acquire the upper echelon of as many different/obscure rod offerings as possible, I fish/own other models from many manufacturers that would be considered “mid-upper level“ enthusiast rods (based on price alone) but are the top of the line from those companies. I have been blown away by some sticks along the way, especially the Fragment Factory Jig rod. Coming in at roughly 500.00, it’s power/taper are similar to the Jigga Stick (it’s meaty) but it is outstanding in the sensitivity department, which is quite a surprise. I honestly did not expect that. The 6’8” length, of course plays a role in this, but it just goes to show you, that there are plenty of amazing rods out there that won’t cost you 750-1k per stick. Another honorable mention has to go out to the Yamaga Blanks Acrobas. These were Yamaga’s Bass rods, costed half of what the RDs will set you back, and were (the Acrobas are discontinued) made completely in-house, in Japan, by Yamaga, who has been building their own blanks/rods since 2008. Their “Bottom Snipe” is another H-powered jig rod measuring in at 6’8” long, completely MIJ and and tuned in house. Not as “feather light” as some others out there but quality and performance match/surpass other rods that cost 2 times as much. Simply outstanding. There’s also the Tiemco JDM Fenwick Super Techna S-TAV610CMHP + J TZ thats a 900.00, “made in China” stick, but puts many MIJ rods to shame. So many others out there as well. Anyways, end of that rant. Sorry to hijack the thread and get off topic, Polkfish. Beautiful acquisitions you guys. Enjoy!
Rise, To be honest I never really considered the price point of the Hustler Finesse Tune when comparing to the other rods I listed. You are right it is one of the most expensive rods out there. I was just comparing it to the other top offerings I actually own from those companies, and how they perform. I'm a junkie for rods with T1100G blanks, and they have been my main target for the most part for a little while now. Also I've been sticking to more of the bigger companies because I'm still building my 1100G collection, most are very reputable, and I have an idea of what to expect from their builds. That being said I've already cherry picked most of my desired rods from their lineups. Now I will be able to check out some of the more obscure rods like some that you have mentioned. I totally agree it's hard to justify buying due to price compared to some of those other rods when sensitivity among the upper echelon really is like splitting hairs. I have fished the Hustler F.T. twice since I wrote the response to you. I have between 9-11 hours on the water with just that rod in my hands now, and much more with the rest of the RD's. I guess having a ST rod built with T1100G that is pretty well balanced, 7 foot, MH/H powered, a slightly more rigid backbone than my Designo of similar specs, and all in a 3.6oz package really appeals to me. Texas rigs are my favorite and most used technique and i have many overlapping rods for it. Also I was not expecting this model at all from Daiwa in the RD line, and was expecting the ST to feel more dull than it does. Plus I personally just like how the other RD's fish. To me the price is worth it, but if I owned some of those masterpieces you own and the shear number of rods of that caliber it would be hard to say. I guess you would just have to consider how much you actually like fishing your other RD rods compared to your other rods, and factor in the solid tip. When you post here I never consider the thread hijacked. It's always a great learning experience for me, and now have some things that I should consider when purchasing and even reviewing rods. I also appreciate you throwing those other random rods you mentioned up there hopefully it will breathe some new life into this enthusiast section and we will get some great reviews from some of the other members on a few of them in the near future. Being one of the few to write random reviews in this section on new equipment that costs as much as it does can be tough for me. Not many people are willing to step up and be one of the first to go out and buy a $1000 rod in the first place. Secondly I never want to steer someone into making a purchase on something that they may, or may not like as much as I do. That they may regret, or feel like they spent too much of their hard earned money on when they could have gotten something of similar performance at half the cost. Especially when there are so many great rods out there if you are willing to make that leap. The thing is I'm fortunate to own the number and variety of rods that I do, and am happy I can make some of these comparisons while others can't, won't, or don't. Believe me if I knew of some of the other rods you listed even existed, and how they stack up they would definitely be getting a shot from me over some of the more expensive options. Unfortunately the info isn't always out there when you're looking. In the end I buy what I like and want. I work hard for my money, and want to get the most bang for my buck just like the rest. In many instances it's difficult finding info without just buying one for yourself. I just hope more members with this awesome stuff will step up and speak out. This site needs more member contributions all around especially in the enthusiast realm from people with higher level gear. We are some of the few people in the world who actually care to own this equipment and talk about it. The Tackle Tour name is synonymous with enthusiast equipment in comparison to any other fishing forum i frequent. I appreciate everyones thoughts, knowledge, time, and opinion which is why I choose to contribute what I can here, and give back like some of the others who have taught, and revealed this amazing gear to me over the years such as yourself. I always appreciate your input, and giving me more rods to look into. Thanks man!
Both of you money bags need to stop waxing each others backs, your making us poor people feel poorer :lol:
jk..jk...good stuff!
I'm still waiting on one of you to get off of your wallet and spring on a DRT Artex Hacker

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm
domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:
domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:

Congrats on the new stick, Dom. So you are saying the 701MH/HXB-ST is more sensitive than the one piece blank of the RD 701MH/HFB ? That’s quite surprising as solid tip designs (aside from the Oltres which are different animals IMO) are usually less sensitive by nature (being its two pieces vs. one continuous blank) and are usually designed more for handling lighter weights/imparting action/allegedly helping to capitalize on light bites. The Oltres are different as they don’t sport that x-fast taper that most solid tip builds do. Of course...as manufacturers such as Designo, EG and others have started mastering solid tip builds, many of them sport that “dual taper” to alleviate stress at the junction between the two parts of the blank, and hence the slower taper of the Oltres due to the lack of any actual “soft” tip section, being that Ti tip is quite stout as you know, again making them a separate breed altogether...JMO. I had somewhat decided to pass on the RD ST as I love my Torque Tunes, EGs and other ST builds so much, but if you are saying it’s truly more sensitive than similar length and power one piece blanks, in the same class, I may have to re-visit that decision, and grab one. Color me surprised, to say the least.
RISE,
Thank you. In my opinion and hands yes the sensitivity on the Hustler finesse tune feels at least as clear as the Hustler tech tune if not better. I was only comparing it to others in the RD line up not other brands. I'm not sure if it's the solid tip feel, or the way the tip bounces with the bait as you drag/work it around with the X-fast/Fast tip, but something about it is very satisfying. I really like how it fits in with the rest of the line up of Racing Designs I own. It is so light and powerful for being 7' and 2 piece ST. I think its only 3.7 ounces or so. It's definitely the best suited RD model for lower to mid weighted Texas rigs and fun to fish. I know what you mean about the different ways companies put their solid tips on the rods and am learning the differences between how they act from brand to brand the more I get to fish them. Some are more dull feeling in the sensitivity department but really shine in visual bite detection and working the bottom topography of your lake. This rod has both features the sensitivity, and the tip in one. The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way, and no the RD's just aren't as sensitive, or are most rods from any other brand that I own. I still think it's an excellent rod and they fish comparably and i like the RD backbone a little better. Neither really fish like an Oltre or even the RD SMT. It feels like fishing the RSR with its solid backbone that just seems to shut down after that Xfast/Fast tip gets enough load on it. Except with a lighter thinner walled, slightly less powered, feel of the Hustler tech tunes blank. It also doesn't feel as cushioned on the loadup as the RSR which is one of the reasons I compared them as a Ferrari and Rolls Royce in my first review, although maybe Bently would be a closer car comparison. It's not a knock on either just a different feeling between blanks which I'm sure you get. I also believe the RSR is more sensitive than any of the RD's and just above my B70H, and is just below my Leben C71H+TT limited which in my opinion is a cattle prod. It's the most sensitive rod I own, and definitely more sensitive than the mh/h st mentioned above. It's 1 piece non ST. Which is why I get your confusion about how it can be more sensitive being 2 piece and solid tip compared to 1 piece design. All I can say is that's what impressed me about the Hustler finesse tune. It's a total package ST rod and every bit as sensitive as the hustler tech tune and might be slightly more sensitive than the jigga stick due to it being the heavier rod of the 3. If you like the feel of the racing designs and solid tip rods you will really like this rod. I really hate putting sensitivity comments out there just cause it's all my opinion and not fact but you know they feel to you so it will help you judge for yourself. Plus at this level all these rods sensitivity is just ridiculous and becomes more of what other factors do you prefer. I am not partial to any brand of rod, but only partial to the best rods each brand has to offer and this rod is one of them. Being you are probably one of the few people even in the TT universe that have had the privilege to fish many of the finest rods in the world, and own more than one ST, Oltre, RD, an RSR, and Leben you will be able to figure out if this is a rod for you.

I appreciate the clarification, Dom. Couldn’t agree more about the sensitivity at this level of rods and personal preferences. Almost splitting hairs these days. There really are just so many outstanding offerings out there. I’ve got so many rods backed up in line, waiting to be fished, yet I can’t stop buying, and now it looks like I’ll have to add the Finesse Tune based on the comments you and Polkfish have made. Still tough to justify when the EGs/RSR, Oltres, Designo Vantage Semi Order, Super Techna TZ, Designo Leggera Ltd, Fragment Jig Game, Torque Tunes and others are so damn good. But you know how it goes... 1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough.

Funny thing is when a rod shows up that you didn’t expect to be THAT impressive (due to price point or other factors), but ends up outperforming sticks that cost twice, sometimes 3 times as much.
Being that I am also NOT brand loyal, and always seeking to acquire the upper echelon of as many different/obscure rod offerings as possible, I fish/own other models from many manufacturers that would be considered “mid-upper level“ enthusiast rods (based on price alone) but are the top of the line from those companies. I have been blown away by some sticks along the way, especially the Fragment Factory Jig rod. Coming in at roughly 500.00, it’s power/taper are similar to the Jigga Stick (it’s meaty) but it is outstanding in the sensitivity department, which is quite a surprise. I honestly did not expect that. The 6’8” length, of course plays a role in this, but it just goes to show you, that there are plenty of amazing rods out there that won’t cost you 750-1k per stick. Another honorable mention has to go out to the Yamaga Blanks Acrobas. These were Yamaga’s Bass rods, costed half of what the RDs will set you back, and were (the Acrobas are discontinued) made completely in-house, in Japan, by Yamaga, who has been building their own blanks/rods since 2008. Their “Bottom Snipe” is another H-powered jig rod measuring in at 6’8” long, completely MIJ and and tuned in house. Not as “feather light” as some others out there but quality and performance match/surpass other rods that cost 2 times as much. Simply outstanding. There’s also the Tiemco JDM Fenwick Super Techna S-TAV610CMHP + J TZ thats a 900.00, “made in China” stick, but puts many MIJ rods to shame. So many others out there as well. Anyways, end of that rant. Sorry to hijack the thread and get off topic, Polkfish. Beautiful acquisitions you guys. Enjoy!
Rise, To be honest I never really considered the price point of the Hustler Finesse Tune when comparing to the other rods I listed. You are right it is one of the most expensive rods out there. I was just comparing it to the other top offerings I actually own from those companies, and how they perform. I'm a junkie for rods with T1100G blanks, and they have been my main target for the most part for a little while now. Also I've been sticking to more of the bigger companies because I'm still building my 1100G collection, most are very reputable, and I have an idea of what to expect from their builds. That being said I've already cherry picked most of my desired rods from their lineups. Now I will be able to check out some of the more obscure rods like some that you have mentioned. I totally agree it's hard to justify buying due to price compared to some of those other rods when sensitivity among the upper echelon really is like splitting hairs. I have fished the Hustler F.T. twice since I wrote the response to you. I have between 9-11 hours on the water with just that rod in my hands now, and much more with the rest of the RD's. I guess having a ST rod built with T1100G that is pretty well balanced, 7 foot, MH/H powered, a slightly more rigid backbone than my Designo of similar specs, and all in a 3.6oz package really appeals to me. Texas rigs are my favorite and most used technique and i have many overlapping rods for it. Also I was not expecting this model at all from Daiwa in the RD line, and was expecting the ST to feel more dull than it does. Plus I personally just like how the other RD's fish. To me the price is worth it, but if I owned some of those masterpieces you own and the shear number of rods of that caliber it would be hard to say. I guess you would just have to consider how much you actually like fishing your other RD rods compared to your other rods, and factor in the solid tip. When you post here I never consider the thread hijacked. It's always a great learning experience for me, and now have some things that I should consider when purchasing and even reviewing rods. I also appreciate you throwing those other random rods you mentioned up there hopefully it will breathe some new life into this enthusiast section and we will get some great reviews from some of the other members on a few of them in the near future. Being one of the few to write random reviews in this section on new equipment that costs as much as it does can be tough for me. Not many people are willing to step up and be one of the first to go out and buy a $1000 rod in the first place. Secondly I never want to steer someone into making a purchase on something that they may, or may not like as much as I do. That they may regret, or feel like they spent too much of their hard earned money on when they could have gotten something of similar performance at half the cost. Especially when there are so many great rods out there if you are willing to make that leap. The thing is I'm fortunate to own the number and variety of rods that I do, and am happy I can make some of these comparisons while others can't, won't, or don't. Believe me if I knew of some of the other rods you listed even existed, and how they stack up they would definitely be getting a shot from me over some of the more expensive options. Unfortunately the info isn't always out there when you're looking. In the end I buy what I like and want. I work hard for my money, and want to get the most bang for my buck just like the rest. In many instances it's difficult finding info without just buying one for yourself. I just hope more members with this awesome stuff will step up and speak out. This site needs more member contributions all around especially in the enthusiast realm from people with higher level gear. We are some of the few people in the world who actually care to own this equipment and talk about it. The Tackle Tour name is synonymous with enthusiast equipment in comparison to any other fishing forum i frequent. I appreciate everyones thoughts, knowledge, time, and opinion which is why I choose to contribute what I can here, and give back like some of the others who have taught, and revealed this amazing gear to me over the years such as yourself. I always appreciate your input, and giving me more rods to look into. Thanks man!
Both of you money bags need to stop waxing each others backs, your making us poor people feel poorer :lol:
jk..jk...good stuff!
I'm still waiting on one of you to get off of your wallet and spring on a DRT Artex Hacker
:lol:
I'll never pay 2-3X's retail for anything, and don't throw big swimbaits too often. Right now I'm having a tough time just getting bites on a senko. ](*,) I'd love to own one though.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:14 pm

I for one really appreciate everyone’s reviews, especially Dom and Rise’s and heavily respect their feedback on rod comparisons. I agree it would be great to see this section more active in general and there’s so many great offerings out there now it’s hard for the vast majority of us to keep up. There are lots of rods I’ve looking into, scoured the globe for reviews and feedback and come up with nothing. It’s amazing to me how often searches lead back to ONLY tackle tour having relevant info and it’s highly appreciated.

I agree it can be tough to buy rods that are basically 2x+ the highest USDM retail, effectively without warranty, sight unseen but there are some real gems out there.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:17 pm

Given all that, if i wanted THE rod for throwing jigs/trigs under 1/2oz what three rods would u guys recommend? Sensitivity of course it's paramount but I'm also big on balance. Anything that balance beyond the lock nut with a 6oz reel would be no good for me. I also like softer tips with a pretty strong backbone. Preferably 7ft. What would be your top three suggestions?

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Under 1/2oz and currently available I’d vote the topic rod Racing Design ST or the now discontinued Luxxe Oltre B69MH. If you’re willing to wait a little while the 2020 Evergreen Black Raven M40X would be top of my list but be aware it’s a little shorter at 6’6”. Not sure when the updated Luxxe Oltre will be released either.
Last edited by Cranky on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:26 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:14 pm
I for one really appreciate everyone’s reviews, especially Dom and Rise’s and heavily respect their feedback on rod comparisons. I agree it would be great to see this section more active in general and there’s so many great offerings out there now it’s hard for the vast majority of us to keep up. There are lots of rods I’ve looking into, scoured the globe for reviews and feedback and come up with nothing. It’s amazing to me how often searches lead back to ONLY tackle tour having relevant info and it’s highly appreciated.

I agree it can be tough to buy rods that are basically 2x+ the highest USDM retail, effectively without warranty, sight unseen but there are some real gems out there.
Agree! The review, feedback, and opinions given by some of the posters on this board is literally the only way to learn about some of these exotic rods. I very appreciate everyone’s input......although it can end up making me spend $$$$! :D

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:22 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:32 pm
Not sure when the updated Luxxe Oltre will be released either.
You have a source saying that this is going to happen or just speculating? Either way, I hope your right!

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 am

Still speculation at this point but have been asking around. They aren’t going to leave the already-existing Efreet as their flagship and with the Oltre completely removed/scrubbed from the Luxxe website now, I feel like it can’t be long before they make an announcement. The verbiage I’ve also seen used on some of the discontinued Oltres for sale makes me think there’s likely a new generation coming. I alluded to it in another post but it wouldn’t be surprising if the new Oltre (or equivalent with a new name) uses the new Toray M40X since Gamakatsu has been an early adopter in those areas in the past (nanotechnology, titanium tips, etc). And YES that is pure unbridled speculation. 8-)

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:31 am

domthewon wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm

:lol:
I'll never pay 2-3X's retail for anything, and don't throw big swimbaits too often. Right now I'm having a tough time just getting bites on a senko. ](*,) I'd love to own one though.
I appreciate the input on higher end equipment because TT can only review some many rods/reels themselves and it's tough pulling the trigger on a rod you know little about from overseas when including shipping, you might be in for $700+. I am glad that I was able to try some Ultima rods "used." One of my favorite rods (the 66M Versatile) now. Even still, they weren't cheap by any means. However, now I fine w/buying more rods from that line as I know what to expect. If I could get the rest of the "range" I would be done buying rods for a while (maybe :lol: ).

A small suggestion---please use paragraphs. It is hard to follow your reviews/thoughts on a rod sometimes.
Last edited by jmb27 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:00 pm
domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:
domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:

RISE,

jk..jk...good stuff!
😆

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 am
Still speculation at this point but have been asking around. They aren’t going to leave the already-existing Efreet as their flagship and with the Oltre completely removed/scrubbed from the Luxxe website now, I feel like it can’t be long before they make an announcement. The verbiage I’ve also seen used on some of the discontinued Oltres for sale makes me think there’s likely a new generation coming. I alluded to it in another post but it wouldn’t be surprising if the new Oltre (or equivalent with a new name) uses the new Toray M40X since Gamakatsu has been an early adopter in those areas in the past (nanotechnology, titanium tips, etc). And YES that is pure unbridled speculation. 8-)
I’ve heard a few things as well, but I don’t want to mislead anyone, so I’ll keep my lips zipped on this. Something new is coming, regardless, and I can’t imagine it being anything less than amazing. IMO...The Oltres are going to be one of the toughest acts to follow in rod development, so to say I’m anxious/excited to see what evolution brings us...is a gross understatement.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 am

RISE wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 pm
Cranky wrote:
I’ve heard a few things as well, but I don’t want to mislead anyone, so I’ll keep my lips zipped on this. Something new is coming, regardless, and I can’t imagine it being anything less than amazing. IMO...The Oltres are going to be one of the toughest acts to follow in rod development, so to say I’m anxious/excited to see what evolution brings us...is a gross understatement.
Tell us something RISE !!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm

domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:
domthewon wrote:
RISE wrote:
domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm
I had to do it. Just got my 701MH/HXB-ST. Even though this is my 5th RD it's impressive. Definitely has some added sensitivity compared to the other 7' models and even compared to the 641 SMT although different feeling. It is slightly more clear than the others almost like they turned the bass down and added some treble which makes it easier to differentiate between types of substrate instead of being slightly muffled. The taper is awesome and similar to the Evergreen Rapid Gunner with slightly less power and a more of a Ferrari like feel rather than Rolls Royce, and I'm not just talking about color schemes. For those who have fished and love the MB X7 extreme mission like me. It's a shorter, similar taper with more balls, sensitivity, and a less fragile feeling. Definitely gonna be throwing tungsten on this bad boy and move the hustler technical tune to moving baits as it has the more versatile tip. Initially I was debating another of the EG Inspirare over this RD because they are also some of the best fishing rods period, but I really wanted to see what this rod was all about. In my head i was like how the hell is Daiwa gonna come out with another hustler in 2020, and have me go buy two 7' rods with with nearly the same specs except weight and taper? ](*,) . Well it ate at me and I had to know how it would fit in their line-up and stack-up to the rest and I took the "red pill" again. It definitely stacks up and fits in, but I just wish this came out when the other hustler was released. Of the two models I prefer the action of the Finesse version for bottom contact. It's faster than the Technical tune, and the added clarity to the sensitivity in my hands is noticeable with identical baits. The Technical tune is more of a vote for One rod challenge that can do everything pretty well including bottom contact techniques. This will be my 3/8 weight + plastic texas rig special although it can handle more, I have the RSR for those duties. I am gonna need more time, but I'm really happy with my choice, and would highly recommend any of these rods. A special shot out to Gary and the TT guys for working with me and getting it in my hands during these tough times Thank You.
BBD7DDE1-0C34-4460-B1D9-E9884D840649.jpeg
Here are a couple of pics of the taper of the 3 rods I mentioned. In doing this back to back I could feel that the tips on the Extreme mission and Hustler were more similar in feel and the extra power the RSR has. Also the RSR is slightly faster and has 12 guides including the tip compared to 11 on the other 2. These are not high stick hook sets FYI this is slightly out and away more natural.
Extreme mission
AD6B0A98-F21C-4108-9917-D79CC816F48D.jpeg
Steez Hustler Finesse Tune
3FE86999-2C39-45A1-B619-73FA5A0B165A.jpeg
Evergreen RSR Rapid Gunner
B26AE797-7C55-4E65-8268-9DD0EB62E9D8.jpeg
RISE,

You’re very welcome, Dom. It’s always a pleasure to chop it up with fellow tackle junkies. 🤜🏻💥🤛🏻

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Fran87 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 am
RISE wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:10 pm
Cranky wrote:
Tell us something RISE !!! :crying: :crying: :crying:
😆

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 pm

domthewon wrote:
The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way
Got my Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned today! Fished it a couple hours for first impressions. The first thing that struck me it is by far the most ergonomically comfortable reel seat and forenut combo ive ever fished in a rod! Exquisite build quality. The last 3 seasons ive fished bottom contact almost exclusively with a Nautilus or Javelin. This rod has a very similar power and taper but the shorter length makes skipping easier. Most of my rods are on the Megabass flagship level so not much experience with rods of this caliber but its a clear step above those rods in sensitivity. Notice it especially at the end of a long cast. Similar sensitivity to what I remember from my NRX 893 but hated the light XF tip on that rod that didn't mesh with the rest of it. But its been awhile so can't say if its more sensitive or not. A little heavy for a premium rod of this length and power at 4.7 oz. But very balanced and doesn't feel heavy in hand. Just doesn't make you think wow im fishing with a reel only with no rod attached like the lightest rods. But id rather have that reel seat than a lighter rod with a normal real seat. Get more of a wow factor from its ergonomics than I would from a sub 4oz rods weight if that makes sense.

Overall very very happy. Its the exact power and taper I like in a worm jig rod with off the charts sensitivity, comfort, and craftsmanship. And will also work fantastic as a do everything rod and handle any single hook moving bait great. Should make a nice jerkbait rod as well. Got a 3 and 4 pounder trying it out and handled them perfectly!