Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez Racing Design 701MH / HXB-ST

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm

I had to do it. Just got my 701MH/HXB-ST. Even though this is my 5th RD it's impressive. Definitely has some added sensitivity compared to the other 7' models and even compared to the 641 SMT although different feeling. It is slightly more clear than the others almost like they turned the bass down and added some treble which makes it easier to differentiate between types of substrate instead of being slightly muffled. The taper is awesome and similar to the Evergreen Rapid Gunner with slightly less power and a more of a Ferrari like feel rather than Rolls Royce, and I'm not just talking about color schemes. For those who have fished and love the MB X7 extreme mission like me. It's a shorter, similar taper with more balls, sensitivity, and a less fragile feeling. Definitely gonna be throwing tungsten on this bad boy and move the hustler technical tune to moving baits as it has the more versatile tip. Initially I was debating another of the EG Inspirare over this RD because they are also some of the best fishing rods period, but I really wanted to see what this rod was all about. In my head i was like how the hell is Daiwa gonna come out with another hustler in 2020, and have me go buy two 7' rods with with nearly the same specs except weight and taper? ](*,) . Well it ate at me and I had to know how it would fit in their line-up and stack-up to the rest and I took the "red pill" again. It definitely stacks up and fits in, but I just wish this came out when the other hustler was released. Of the two models I prefer the action of the Finesse version for bottom contact. It's faster than the Technical tune, and the added clarity to the sensitivity in my hands is noticeable with identical baits. The Technical tune is more of a vote for One rod challenge that can do everything pretty well including bottom contact techniques. This will be my 3/8 weight + plastic texas rig special although it can handle more, I have the RSR for those duties. I am gonna need more time, but I'm really happy with my choice, and would highly recommend any of these rods. A special shot out to Gary and the TT guys for working with me and getting it in my hands during these tough times Thank You.
BBD7DDE1-0C34-4460-B1D9-E9884D840649.jpeg
BBD7DDE1-0C34-4460-B1D9-E9884D840649.jpeg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
Here are a couple of pics of the taper of the 3 rods I mentioned. In doing this back to back I could feel that the tips on the Extreme mission and Hustler were more similar in feel and the extra power the RSR has. Also the RSR is slightly faster and has 12 guides including the tip compared to 11 on the other 2. These are not high stick hook sets FYI this is slightly out and away more natural.
Extreme mission
AD6B0A98-F21C-4108-9917-D79CC816F48D.jpeg
AD6B0A98-F21C-4108-9917-D79CC816F48D.jpeg (29 KiB) Viewed 9266 times
Steez Hustler Finesse Tune
3FE86999-2C39-45A1-B619-73FA5A0B165A.jpeg
3FE86999-2C39-45A1-B619-73FA5A0B165A.jpeg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 9266 times
Evergreen RSR Rapid Gunner
B26AE797-7C55-4E65-8268-9DD0EB62E9D8.jpeg
B26AE797-7C55-4E65-8268-9DD0EB62E9D8.jpeg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 9266 times
Last edited by domthewon on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm

domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm
I had to do it. Just got my 701MH/HXB-ST. Even though this is my 5th RD it's impressive. Definitely has some added sensitivity compared to the other 7' models and even compared to the 641 SMT although different feeling. It is slightly more clear than the others almost like they turned the bass down and added some treble which makes it easier to differentiate between types of substrate instead of being slightly muffled. The taper is awesome and similar to the Evergreen Rapid Gunner with slightly less power and a more of a Ferrari like feel rather than Rolls Royce, and I'm not just talking about color schemes. For those who have fished and love the MB X7 extreme mission like me. It's a shorter, similar taper with more balls, sensitivity, and a less fragile feeling. Definitely gonna be throwing tungsten on this bad boy and move the hustler technical tune to moving baits as it has the more versatile tip. Initially I was debating another of the EG Inspirare over this RD because they are also some of the best fishing rods period, but I really wanted to see what this rod was all about. In my head i was like how the hell is Daiwa gonna come out with another hustler in 2020, and have me go buy two 7' rods with with nearly the same specs except weight and taper? ](*,) . Well it ate at me and I had to know how it would fit in their line-up and stack-up to the rest and I took the "red pill" again. It definitely stacks up and fits in, but I just wish this came out when the other hustler was released. Of the two models I prefer the action of the Finesse version for bottom contact. It's faster than the Technical tune, and the added clarity to the sensitivity in my hands is noticeable with identical baits. The Technical tune is more of a vote for One rod challenge that can do everything pretty well including bottom contact techniques. This will be my 3/8 weight + plastic texas rig special although it can handle more, I have the RSR for those duties. I am gonna need more time, but I'm really happy with my choice, and would highly recommend any of these rods. A special shot out to Gary and the TT guys for working with me and getting it in my hands during these tough times Thank You.

Yes sir! It’s like custom made surgeons knife. As you’ve already surmised, the two hustlers behave very differently. In addition to the blank differences, the different guide trains seems to change the action quite a bit. I love them both equally. Sadly, I never did get one of those TNs. That’s a killer combo.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Yes sir! It’s like custom made surgeons knife. As you’ve already surmised, the two hustlers behave very differently. In addition to the blank differences, the different guide trains seems to change the action quite a bit. I love them both equally. Sadly, I never did get one of those TNs. That’s a killer combo.
Thanks for putting your initial thoughts out there. It made it easier buying one since you had 2 other RDs before this one also. I love the Steez TN. I’m really glad the ZPI PG plays well with it. It’s not the lightest steez reel but the rod is only 103g. 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Thats a beautiful stick and reel combo there man..
I have a fist full of dollars but I may have to Paint Your Wagon to get a Few Dollars More. I hope that this purchase doesn't go Unforgiven because I will not tell the wife. If the wife finds out I may have to be a High Plains drifter or a Pale Ride but no matter what the Good, Bad and the Ugly is I will just Beguile my way back to being my wifes HonkyTonk Man because I have it narrowed down to get one for my retirement.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm
I have a fist full of dollars but I may have to Paint Your Wagon to get a Few Dollars More. I hope that this purchase doesn't go Unforgiven because I will not tell the wife. If the wife finds out I may have to be a High Plains drifter or a Pale Ride but no matter what the Good, Bad and the Ugly is I will just Beguile my way back to being my wifes HonkyTonk Man because I have it narrowed down to get one for my retirement.
That was a mouth full of country western movie mash up there brother. Congrats on your retirement , and don't worry most of that stuff you will have to do for your wife will be worth it for one... I think. ;)
P.S. If she looks at your equipment there is no way she won't notice this one amongst the rest. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ :big grin: 8-[ 8-[

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:51 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm
That was a mouth full of country western movie mash up there brother. Congrats on your retirement , and don't worry most of that stuff you will have to do for your wife will be worth it for one... I think. ;)
P.S. If she looks at your equipment there is no way she won't notice this one amongst the rest. 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ :big grin: 8-[ 8-[

Man I see you got my western tribute. \:D/
Thanks man. So much is uncertain due to the impact of this covid-19 going on
Towit retirement may not happen or at least as planned.
But I’ve got to get my hands on a racing design and I have a window of opportunity coming up. :-$
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 pm

simply gorgeous

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:11 pm
simply gorgeous
Thank you sir.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm

RISE wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 pm
domthewon wrote:
Here are a couple of pics of the taper of the 3 rods I mentioned. In doing this back to back I could feel that the tips on the Extreme mission and Hustler were more similar in feel and the extra power the RSR has. Also the RSR is slightly faster and has 12 guides including the tip compared to 11 on the other 2. These are not high stick hook sets FYI this is slightly out and away more natural.
Extreme mission
Congrats on the new stick, Dom. So you are saying the 701MH/HXB-ST is more sensitive than the one piece blank of the RD 701MH/HFB ? That’s quite surprising as solid tip designs (aside from the Oltres which are different animals IMO) are usually less sensitive by nature (being its two pieces vs. one continuous blank) and are usually designed more for handling lighter weights/imparting action/allegedly helping to capitalize on light bites. The Oltres are different as they don’t sport that x-fast taper that most solid tip builds do. Of course...as manufacturers such as Designo, EG and others have started mastering solid tip builds, many of them sport that “dual taper” to alleviate stress at the junction between the two parts of the blank, and hence the slower taper of the Oltres due to the lack of any actual “soft” tip section, being that Ti tip is quite stout as you know, again making them a separate breed altogether...JMO. I had somewhat decided to pass on the RD ST as I love my Torque Tunes, EGs and other ST builds so much, but if you are saying it’s truly more sensitive than similar length and power one piece blanks, in the same class, I may have to re-visit that decision, and grab one. Color me surprised, to say the least.
RISE,
Thank you. In my opinion and hands yes the sensitivity on the Hustler finesse tune feels at least as clear as the Hustler tech tune if not better. I was only comparing it to others in the RD line up not other brands. I'm not sure if it's the solid tip feel, or the way the tip bounces with the bait as you drag/work it around with the X-fast/Fast tip, but something about it is very satisfying. I really like how it fits in with the rest of the line up of Racing Designs I own. It is so light and powerful for being 7' and 2 piece ST. I think its only 3.7 ounces or so. It's definitely the best suited RD model for lower to mid weighted Texas rigs and fun to fish. I know what you mean about the different ways companies put their solid tips on the rods and am learning the differences between how they act from brand to brand the more I get to fish them. Some are more dull feeling in the sensitivity department but really shine in visual bite detection and working the bottom topography of your lake. This rod has both features the sensitivity, and the tip in one. The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way, and no the RD's just aren't as sensitive, or are most rods from any other brand that I own. I still think it's an excellent rod and they fish comparably and i like the RD backbone a little better. Neither really fish like an Oltre or even the RD SMT. It feels like fishing the RSR with its solid backbone that just seems to shut down after that Xfast/Fast tip gets enough load on it. Except with a lighter thinner walled, slightly less powered, feel of the Hustler tech tunes blank. It also doesn't feel as cushioned on the loadup as the RSR which is one of the reasons I compared them as a Ferrari and Rolls Royce in my first review, although maybe Bently would be a closer car comparison. It's not a knock on either just a different feeling between blanks which I'm sure you get. I also believe the RSR is more sensitive than any of the RD's and just above my B70H, and is just below my Leben C71H+TT limited which in my opinion is a cattle prod. It's the most sensitive rod I own, and definitely more sensitive than the mh/h st mentioned above. It's 1 piece non ST. Which is why I get your confusion about how it can be more sensitive being 2 piece and solid tip compared to 1 piece design. All I can say is that's what impressed me about the Hustler finesse tune. It's a total package ST rod and every bit as sensitive as the hustler tech tune and might be slightly more sensitive than the jigga stick due to it being the heavier rod of the 3. If you like the feel of the racing designs and solid tip rods you will really like this rod. I really hate putting sensitivity comments out there just cause it's all my opinion and not fact but you know they feel to you so it will help you judge for yourself. Plus at this level all these rods sensitivity is just ridiculous and becomes more of what other factors do you prefer. I am not partial to any brand of rod, but only partial to the best rods each brand has to offer and this rod is one of them. Being you are probably one of the few people even in the TT universe that have had the privilege to fish many of the finest rods in the world, and own more than one ST, Oltre, RD, an RSR, and Leben you will be able to figure out if this is a rod for you.
I hope this helps brother.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:11 am

Chode wrote:
simply gorgeous
Here is a pic of the balance point with my steez 103 Ltd. It’s right between the sticker and end of the lockdown nut. The reel is 159g or 5.6oz. The rod is 103g or 3.63 on my scale with the blank itself only weighing 45g and the handle section making up the rest. The pm wouldn’t allow attachments so I posted it here for you. I don’t think Polkfish would mind me adding this info.
9A6EF24C-AA4D-4DA3-90A8-644743321429.jpeg
9A6EF24C-AA4D-4DA3-90A8-644743321429.jpeg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 8840 times
4BE83653-FB8A-4963-A212-EE1DD4C4C908.jpeg
4BE83653-FB8A-4963-A212-EE1DD4C4C908.jpeg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 8840 times
A6B2A788-912D-441E-9028-C05803254CF9.jpeg
A6B2A788-912D-441E-9028-C05803254CF9.jpeg (72.95 KiB) Viewed 8840 times
54728614-0190-43EF-ADA5-C352662BB441.jpeg
54728614-0190-43EF-ADA5-C352662BB441.jpeg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 8840 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:17 am

domthewon wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:11 am
Chode wrote:
simply gorgeous
Here is a pic of the balance point with my steez 103 Ltd. It’s right between the sticker and end of the lockdown nut. The reel is 159g or 5.6oz. The rod is 103g or 3.63 on my scale with the blank itself only weighing 45g and the handle section making up the rest. The pm wouldn’t allow attachments so I posted it here for you. I don’t think Polkfish would mind me adding this info.
9A6EF24C-AA4D-4DA3-90A8-644743321429.jpeg
4BE83653-FB8A-4963-A212-EE1DD4C4C908.jpeg
A6B2A788-912D-441E-9028-C05803254CF9.jpeg
54728614-0190-43EF-ADA5-C352662BB441.jpeg
=D> =D>

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Rapid gunner must be much more sensitive rod than RD

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Fran87 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:28 pm
Rapid gunner must be much more sensitive rod than RD
Not necessarily. At this level all these rods are outstanding. I can easily see how someone could think the RD's, Oltre, Designo, or EG rods are the most sensitive, and I wouldn't, and couldn't argue it. None of it is based on fact, and sensitivity is as much opinion as what politics you're into. Also conditions come into play such as wind, current, depth, type of bait, etc. from day to day. I'm very fortunate to own many of what I consider some of the best rods ever produced and fish them side by side. To be honest they all still blow me away when I pick them up, and I would be happy to own any one of my recent purchases. The other factors are much more important in helping me consider my next rod such as taper, balance, weight, length, power, and technique. I already know the sensitivity will be top notch with rods of this caliber, and I won't miss a bite due to it. Everything else has to be right to be successful on the water and actually land the fish.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:15 pm

domthewon wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:27 pm
RISE wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:26 pm
domthewon wrote:
Extreme mission
Congrats on the new stick, Dom. So you are saying the 701MH/HXB-ST is more sensitive than the one piece blank of the RD 701MH/HFB ? That’s quite surprising as solid tip designs (aside from the Oltres which are different animals IMO) are usually less sensitive by nature (being its two pieces vs. one continuous blank) and are usually designed more for handling lighter weights/imparting action/allegedly helping to capitalize on light bites. The Oltres are different as they don’t sport that x-fast taper that most solid tip builds do. Of course...as manufacturers such as Designo, EG and others have started mastering solid tip builds, many of them sport that “dual taper” to alleviate stress at the junction between the two parts of the blank, and hence the slower taper of the Oltres due to the lack of any actual “soft” tip section, being that Ti tip is quite stout as you know, again making them a separate breed altogether...JMO. I had somewhat decided to pass on the RD ST as I love my Torque Tunes, EGs and other ST builds so much, but if you are saying it’s truly more sensitive than similar length and power one piece blanks, in the same class, I may have to re-visit that decision, and grab one. Color me surprised, to say the least.
RISE,
Thank you. In my opinion and hands yes the sensitivity on the Hustler finesse tune feels at least as clear as the Hustler tech tune if not better. I was only comparing it to others in the RD line up not other brands. I'm not sure if it's the solid tip feel, or the way the tip bounces with the bait as you drag/work it around with the X-fast/Fast tip, but something about it is very satisfying. I really like how it fits in with the rest of the line up of Racing Designs I own. It is so light and powerful for being 7' and 2 piece ST. I think its only 3.7 ounces or so. It's definitely the best suited RD model for lower to mid weighted Texas rigs and fun to fish. I know what you mean about the different ways companies put their solid tips on the rods and am learning the differences between how they act from brand to brand the more I get to fish them. Some are more dull feeling in the sensitivity department but really shine in visual bite detection and working the bottom topography of your lake. This rod has both features the sensitivity, and the tip in one. The closest rod that I have to compare is a Designo Leben C71MH+RST2S TT Kamiya tuned except it's one piece. The tips are similar on these models but the dual taper on the Designo is ever so slightly more moderate. The Designo Lebens are flat out some of the most sensitive rods I own or have ever fished. They are extremely clear and dragging tungsten on rocks is almost like the nails on a chalkboard in a good way, and no the RD's just aren't as sensitive, or are most rods from any other brand that I own. I still think it's an excellent rod and they fish comparably and i like the RD backbone a little better. Neither really fish like an Oltre or even the RD SMT. It feels like fishing the RSR with its solid backbone that just seems to shut down after that Xfast/Fast tip gets enough load on it. Except with a lighter thinner walled, slightly less powered, feel of the Hustler tech tunes blank. It also doesn't feel as cushioned on the loadup as the RSR which is one of the reasons I compared them as a Ferrari and Rolls Royce in my first review, although maybe Bently would be a closer car comparison. It's not a knock on either just a different feeling between blanks which I'm sure you get. I also believe the RSR is more sensitive than any of the RD's and just above my B70H, and is just below my Leben C71H+TT limited which in my opinion is a cattle prod. It's the most sensitive rod I own, and definitely more sensitive than the mh/h st mentioned above. It's 1 piece non ST. Which is why I get your confusion about how it can be more sensitive being 2 piece and solid tip compared to 1 piece design. All I can say is that's what impressed me about the Hustler finesse tune. It's a total package ST rod and every bit as sensitive as the hustler tech tune and might be slightly more sensitive than the jigga stick due to it being the heavier rod of the 3. If you like the feel of the racing designs and solid tip rods you will really like this rod. I really hate putting sensitivity comments out there just cause it's all my opinion and not fact but you know they feel to you so it will help you judge for yourself. Plus at this level all these rods sensitivity is just ridiculous and becomes more of what other factors do you prefer. I am not partial to any brand of rod, but only partial to the best rods each brand has to offer and this rod is one of them. Being you are probably one of the few people even in the TT universe that have had the privilege to fish many of the finest rods in the world, and own more than one ST, Oltre, RD, an RSR, and Leben you will be able to figure out if this is a rod for you.
I hope this helps brother.

All this talk of torque tunes is driving me crazy. I finally found a DLT-C71H+R2S I’ve been looking for. When I started my hunt, I had not realized these were discontinued. I’m always a day late...Anyway, I’m excited about seeing what these are all about. I’ve never fished a designo of any flavor. I’ve read so much about the special taper of the torque tunes and that was what I’ve been so excited about, but I did not realize they were also so exceptionally sensitive. Who knows how long it will be shipping under the current circumstances, but I’m in zero hurry at the moment. Will report back when I have some experience with it.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:15 pm

All this talk of torque tunes is driving me crazy. I finally found a DLT-C71H+R2S I’ve been looking for. When I started my hunt, I had not realized these were discontinued. I’m always a day late...Anyway, I’m excited about seeing what these are all about. I’ve never fished a designo of any flavor. I’ve read so much about the special taper of the torque tunes and that was what I’ve been so excited about, but I did not realize they were also so exceptionally sensitive. Who knows how long it will be shipping under the current circumstances, but I’m in zero hurry at the moment. Will report back when I have some experience with it.
Very Cool! The whole torque tune thing was confusing at first and I didn’t know what I was buying or what I was going to use it for til I got it. it’s a pretty powerful rod rated 3/8-4oz. I’ve never loaded up over an ounce on it to be honest, but it is able to cast great but give you the power you need at any moment. it’s a real progressive taper, but doesn’t wimp out on hook sets. It’s very light weight and the blank is simple matte black in design. It’s super versatile also. I’ve thrown Texas, jigs, chatter, top water, blades, cranks, and others. I thought long and hard recently if I had to give up all my rods except for 3. It would be one of the few i will keep. It’s a personal favorite of mine and like I mentioned before most likely my most sensitive rod. I don’t want to get your hopes up and disappoint you when you get yours. I’ve been real quiet about this rod for a while until now. I’m not sure what the difference between the limited and regular models is besides the purple accents, but the limited is for sure tuned by Kamaiya. I hope you’re experiences are close to mine because I don’t think you will be disappointed. I just got a grand stallion the other day to complete my stallion GT trilogy and shipping was pretty much the same as usual through fedex. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it even if they aren’t the same. Exciting bro.