Cosugi Works Spool bearing

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Cosugi Works Spool bearing

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 am

I just picked up a cosugi works spool and it didn't come with the palm plate bearing. Does anyone know what bearings came with those spools? Or did that company make their own? If not I'll just buy a new set of bearings I guess.

Thanks

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cosugi Works Spool bearing

Post by SSS » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 pm

It came with a 3x8x4 bearing for the sideplate as well. Great bearings. You don't need to use the same brand of bearings for spool and sideplate, so you can buy any quality ceramic hybrids for the sideplate, no need to purchase a pair if you have one on the spool already.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:01 pm
It came with a 3x8x4 bearing for the sideplate as well. Great bearings. You don't need to use the same brand of bearings for spool and sideplate, so you can buy any quality ceramic hybrids for the sideplate, no need to purchase a pair if you have one on the spool already.
Yeah it came with one on the spool that looks like it is in good condition. I'm just used to getting matching bearings but not sure if it matters that much. Thanks for the size and info on the bearing.

It seems like a nice spool. I put it in an alphas finesse special but haven't taken it out yet.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Pics, we want pics.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:09 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Pics, we want pics.

Think I just want to change out the handle and drag star on this one and be done. I pulled out the stock spool to put the cosugi in and I like the look of the factory spool too. I just got this reel but anyone know how the stock finesse special spool does?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Just got the alphas sv and px68L back from Ian and while they are both very smooth the px68L is ridiculously smooth. I don't feel a thing when turning the handle (not while fishing, just holding the reel in my hand). It's crazy smooth.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Sweet, now you have to do a casting comparison and let us know the results.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 am

spencerinstl wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 pm
Finally got to try out the cosugi works spool. This is what I got (didn't throw the zonda honeycomb, stock alphas/Sol spool, or sv105 which I regret but it was last minute)

I had the cosugi in a alphas finnese custom, the megabass zonda bfs spool in a alphas sv, and the i'ze finnese special spool in a PX68L. All had 4lb p-line fluoroclear and I put them all on the same majorcraft finetail area FAX-B642UL rod. I threw a 1/16 oz rapala original, a 1/8 oz mepps, and a 1/6oz thomas buoyant spoon. So I probably should have used the two alphas spools in the same reel to be fair I guess.

For me (could be different in someone else hands with more experience in bfs or UL trout fishing). The px68l with finesse special spool cast the 1/16 oz rapala the best, followed by the megabass zonda bfs, cosugi was last. They were all able to throw the 1/8oz mepps well. I'd probably have to list them cosugi, then zonda, then ize finesse at 1/8 but they were close enough that I would have been fine with either of them. Then I moved up to the 1/6oz Thomas buoyant spinner. All of the reels casted the best with the 1/6 oz weight obviously but I found that the cosugi was getting the most distance and it was the least likely to overrun or backlash if I really through the lure hard on the cast. The zonda and ize finesse spools were not far behind in distance but if I really whipped the i'ze spool if would blow up. Once I got the zonda bfs spool setup right it was super smooth and had no issues but if I dialed the mag breaks down one click it would fluff up pretty good. Again it could be different in someone more experienced hands.

Ive never used that line before. It was the only one I could find in under 6lb at my local store. The lures I just grabbed based on the werghts. First time using baitcast for trout fishing but I feel it went well and most important, it was a lot of fun.

Also the px68l and sv105 were both tuned by Ian and I was shocked at how smooth they were both on the cast and retrieve. Id recommend his work to anyone looking to get the most out of their reel.

I may pick up a reel that was meant for light lures like the ASC or alphas air just to see how much of a difference there is.

Anyway thanks for all the help

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 am

spencerinstl wrote:
What rods to you use your cosugi spools with? What lure weights? Thanks

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:42 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 am
spencerinstl wrote:
I have several rods that I have fished with the cosugi spool. Megabass PopX Stick, X4 Cyclone, X4 Super Mirage, X7 Super Cliffhanger, Daiwa Presso AGS 60L-B, and a G loomis 802C JWR. I have fished from 1/16 oz to 1/4 oz jigs, 1/4 oz poppers, and small crankbaits on the Cosugi Works Spool.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 am
spencerinstl wrote:
Finally got to try out the cosugi works spool. This is what I got (didn't throw the zonda honeycomb, stock alphas/Sol spool, or sv105 which I regret but it was last minute)

I had the cosugi in a alphas finnese custom, the megabass zonda bfs spool in a alphas sv, and the i'ze finnese special spool in a PX68L. All had 4lb p-line fluoroclear and I put them all on the same majorcraft finetail area FAX-B642UL rod. I threw a 1/16 oz rapala original, a 1/8 oz mepps, and a 1/6oz thomas buoyant spoon. So I probably should have used the two alphas spools in the same reel to be fair I guess.

For me (could be different in someone else hands with more experience in bfs or UL trout fishing). The px68l with finesse special spool cast the 1/16 oz rapala the best, followed by the megabass zonda bfs, cosugi was last. They were all able to throw the 1/8oz mepps well. I'd probably have to list them cosugi, then zonda, then ize finesse at 1/8 but they were close enough that I would have been fine with either of them. Then I moved up to the 1/6oz Thomas buoyant spinner. All of the reels casted the best with the 1/6 oz weight obviously but I found that the cosugi was getting the most distance and it was the least likely to overrun or backlash if I really through the lure hard on the cast. The zonda and ize finesse spools were not far behind in distance but if I really whipped the i'ze spool if would blow up. Once I got the zonda bfs spool setup right it was super smooth and had no issues but if I dialed the mag breaks down one click it would fluff up pretty good. Again it could be different in someone more experienced hands.

Ive never used that line before. It was the only one I could find in under 6lb at my local store. The lures I just grabbed based on the werghts. First time using baitcast for trout fishing but I feel it went well and most important, it was a lot of fun.

Also the px68l and sv105 were both tuned by Ian and I was shocked at how smooth they were both on the cast and retrieve. Id recommend his work to anyone looking to get the most out of their reel.

I may pick up a reel that was meant for light lures like the ASC or alphas air just to see how much of a difference there is.

Thanks for the comparison. Fluoro can be fussy and have a tendency to fluff up, line conditioner helps. You should try Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting, it may not be as sensitive but it behaves better when casting. Also, you should give the ZPI MG RC-301 spool a try in the pixy. Seeing how light you can cast with a baitcaster can be fun, but can get expensive fast. I usually cast 1/8 oz and above and reserve 1/16 oz and below for spinning gear. With that said, I usually use the 1/8 oz Jackall flick shake jig for better casting distance.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:39 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:42 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
I have several rods that I have fished with the cosugi spool. Megabass PopX Stick, X4 Cyclone, X4 Super Mirage, X7 Super Cliffhanger, Daiwa Presso AGS 60L-B, and a G loomis 802C JWR. I have fished from 1/16 oz to 1/4 oz jigs, 1/4 oz poppers, and small crankbaits on the Cosugi Works Spool.

I'll have to look up some of those rods. Have you ever done over 1/4 oz? Like 3/8? Is it too much

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:

Thanks for the comparison. Fluoro can be fussy and have a tendency to fluff up, line conditioner helps. You should try Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting, it may not be as sensitive but it behaves better when casting. Also, you should give the ZPI MG RC-301 spool a try in the pixy. Seeing how light you can cast with a baitcaster can be fun, but can get expensive fast. I usually cast 1/8 oz and above and reserve 1/16 oz and below for spinning gear. With that said, I usually use the 1/8 oz Jackall flick shake jig for better casting distance.
I wanted mono but everything I read says mono can expand and damage certain spools like the honeycomb and I was worried about damaging the cosugi. You've done it though? I'd like to use mono on a lot of my light setups if it won't damage the spools

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:37 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:

I wanted mono but everything I read says mono can expand and damage certain spools like the honeycomb and I was worried about damaging the cosugi. You've done it though? I'd like to use mono on a lot of my light setups if it won't damage the spools
I use mono in all my finesse reels. Mono won't damage the cosugi spool as long as your using light line and not trying to pull free from a snag etc. I would think braid would be more likely to damage a finesse spool especially with a hard hookset or pulling against a snag.
Last edited by spencerinstl on Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:44 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:39 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:42 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:

I'll have to look up some of those rods. Have you ever done over 1/4 oz? Like 3/8? Is it too much
It can be done, but there are better choices for above 1/4 oz. 3/8 oz and above, you're going to cast all the line out of the spool. I like the G loomis 802C JWR for 1/8 oz jigs or trigs where you have to set the hook with plastics. Softer rods you have to use open hooks.