Cosugi Works Spool bearing

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cosugi Works Spool bearing

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:57 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:52 am
spencerinstl wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 pm
Sweet, now you have to do a casting comparison and let us know the results.
Finally got to try out the cosugi works spool. This is what I got (didn't throw the zonda honeycomb, stock alphas/Sol spool, or sv105 which I regret but it was last minute)

I had the cosugi in a alphas finnese custom, the megabass zonda bfs spool in a alphas sv, and the i'ze finnese special spool in a PX68L. All had 4lb p-line fluoroclear and I put them all on the same majorcraft finetail area FAX-B642UL rod. I threw a 1/16 oz rapala original, a 1/8 oz mepps, and a 1/6oz thomas buoyant spoon. So I probably should have used the two alphas spools in the same reel to be fair I guess.

For me (could be different in someone else hands with more experience in bfs or UL trout fishing). The px68l with finesse special spool cast the 1/16 oz rapala the best, followed by the megabass zonda bfs, cosugi was last. They were all able to throw the 1/8oz mepps well. I'd probably have to list them cosugi, then zonda, then ize finesse at 1/8 but they were close enough that I would have been fine with either of them. Then I moved up to the 1/6oz Thomas buoyant spinner. All of the reels casted the best with the 1/6 oz weight obviously but I found that the cosugi was getting the most distance and it was the least likely to overrun or backlash if I really through the lure hard on the cast. The zonda and ize finesse spools were not far behind in distance but if I really whipped the i'ze spool if would blow up. Once I got the zonda bfs spool setup right it was super smooth and had no issues but if I dialed the mag breaks down one click it would fluff up pretty good. Again it could be different in someone more experienced hands.

Ive never used that line before. It was the only one I could find in under 6lb at my local store. The lures I just grabbed based on the werghts. First time using baitcast for trout fishing but I feel it went well and most important, it was a lot of fun.

Also the px68l and sv105 were both tuned by Ian and I was shocked at how smooth they were both on the cast and retrieve. Id recommend his work to anyone looking to get the most out of their reel.

I may pick up a reel that was meant for light lures like the ASC or alphas air just to see how much of a difference there is.

Anyway thanks for all the help
Thanks for the comparison. Fluoro can be fussy and have a tendency to fluff up, line conditioner helps. You should try Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting, it may not be as sensitive but it behaves better when casting. Also, you should give the ZPI MG RC-301 spool a try in the pixy. Seeing how light you can cast with a baitcaster can be fun, but can get expensive fast. I usually cast 1/8 oz and above and reserve 1/16 oz and below for spinning gear. With that said, I usually use the 1/8 oz Jackall flick shake jig for better casting distance.
If I can find a Zpi mg rc-301 for a decent price in excellent condition I would love to give it a try.

You might be able to help me out. I have too much finesse gear so part of my testing is to narrow it down. Would you rather have a alphas (any variant) with the cosugi spool or a pixy (any variant) with the Zpi spool?

Or if you were narrowing it down to two would it be two alphas with cosugi spools or one alphas/cosugi and one pixy/Zpi? (Im wanting to narrow it down to one reel/spool for my bass bfs and one reel/spool for my UL trout setup)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:24 pm

For ultralight trout rod, alphas air stream custom.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am

I agree with Spencer, with those options the ASC spool would be best for UL trout type lures and drops right in to the pixy. With the HH air bfs bearing the ASC spool weighs just under 7.9g but starts up much easier than the cosugi spool when both filled with line.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:08 am

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am
I agree with Spencer, with those options the ASC spool would be best for UL trout type lures and drops right in to the pixy. With the HH air bfs bearing the ASC spool weighs just under 7.9g but starts up much easier than the cosugi spool when both filled with line.
Didn't realize the ASC spool fit the Pixy. That's pretty neat. I can't find a spool for a good price though. Also are the magnets different in the two platforms? (alphas and pixy)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Yep, ASC spools are expensive. But when I was lastly checking, I found ASC reel in low price but there was Pixy spool... :D

Maybe that's cheapest way to get ASC spool to pixy reel to buy ASC reel and swap spools and then sell ASC reel with pixy spool...