Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am

Anyone have one of these and willing to offer a detailed review? Appears to have almost the identical specs as the Super Stallion but is XH rated instead of MH?

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:37 am

Cranky wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:15 am
Anyone have one of these and willing to offer a detailed review? Appears to have almost the identical specs as the Super Stallion but is XH rated instead of MH?
If your looking at an upper end Evergreen and are dedicated to spending that kind of bank, it would do you well to read the in-depth nuances between the rods.

There are 4 current variations of Super Stallions and 2 variations of the Rapid Gunner.

Read the detailed descriptions/material-component make-up of each and also read any of the blogs assigned to the rod. It's very in-depth and somewhat confusing. You might want to create a flow chart..

https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... =2&s_no=66

These are complex rods, or they make them out to be anyway. With that said, I'm a proud owner of a Stallion RS Limited, and can't say enough good things about it.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Lots of good info there on the materials and builds. I guess I’m mostly interested in how a Rapid Gunner RSR would fish differently than a nearly identical spec Super Stallion. It’s clearly evolved from a different model lineage but they really highlight them both as jig/worm rods with additional versatility... with the identical specs at 3/8-3oz and similar rod lengths of 7’0” and 7’1” the only significant difference is in the XH vs MH rating and the rod weight itself. Looks like on paper the Rapid Gunner RSR would be an interesting EG rod that I’ve never really heard anything at all about and it’s surprisingly close in specs to one of the most loved EG rods of all time.

...it’s probably a long shot that someone has this rod to compare given how rare they are but you never know with TT!!!

User avatar
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:30 am

Cranky wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm
Lots of good info there on the materials and builds. I guess I’m mostly interested in how a Rapid Gunner RSR would fish differently than a nearly identical spec Super Stallion. It’s clearly evolved from a different model lineage but they really highlight them both as jig/worm rods with additional versatility... with the identical specs at 3/8-3oz and similar rod lengths of 7’0” and 7’1” the only significant difference is in the XH vs MH rating and the rod weight itself. Looks like on paper the Rapid Gunner RSR would be an interesting EG rod that I’ve never really heard anything at all about and it’s surprisingly close in specs to one of the most loved EG rods of all time.

...it’s probably a long shot that someone has this rod to compare given how rare they are but you never know with TT!!!
I have the Super Stallion GT and the MH notation is in fact a MH+ which is a new concept in Japan. Therefore the 3oz maximum rate. The action is a traditional fast. Great rod, great sensitivity and very versatile. If you can only take one rod.... take the Super Stallion

The Rapid Gunner is a completely different animal as it aims at rapid hook set with a faster taper and a blank with more tension.

When I say rapid hook set I mean rapid to the point of fractions of a second. No preparation, just reflex reaction. This is a tournament rod for difficult situations where bass spit the lure quickly.

Blank tension is something difficult to explain and you have to hold the rod in hand to understand. It's like having a glass rod and then you buy a carbon rod. The carbon one returns to its strait form faster than the glass one. Well, with some high end carbon rods you get that same impression as passing from glass to carbon.

I know that a forum user has the Rapid Gunner. Lets see if he has time to give his impression.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 am

Thanks for the extra insight. That makes a lot of sense. I do have a SS (TKIC series) also and I agree on the MH+ concept. If the RG RSR has a similar power profile but the quick react property I’m thinking this might be a great complimentary rod for super hard impact hooksets like on large bulky T-rigged plastics or frogs. Need something that’s going to cast well but still have that *THWACK* hookset power to really turn their head.

Might make a really wicked 1-2 punch rod combo.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am

Based on the differences in rod blank construction and specifically how much further toward the tip the 30-degree Quattro extends (roughly only 18” from the tip) versus all the other Kaleido/Inspirare/RS/GT variants, it certainly looks like the RG RSR would have a significantly faster action and noticeably stronger hookset power on a slack line. The transition is very very quick from Toray 1100G in the tip to the reinforced 30-degree backbone.

Since this is TT and I’m already that far down the rabbit hole, I have a feeling a Rapid Gunner RSR is in my future.

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 am

Do it Cranky! And post a lot of pictures when it you get it!

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm
Location: California

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by RISE » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:18 pm

I'm your huckleberry...
I own one, and have plenty of info to offer you on it, if you'd like. I've fished it for several months, now, and heavy T-rigs/Jigs are where this rod shines. I am actually in the process of writing up a detailed review.
And...the 30* quattro axis weave stops at 13.75" from the tip.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:17 am

Thanks man, a detailed review would be awesome. It looks like a very interesting rod on paper. This is what I’m thinking... I do a lot of heavy cover power fishing and typically like rods with ex-fast tapers with rigid backbone and nice crisp, sharp hooksets. For those applications that butter smooth Super Stallion taper down to the backbone doesn’t feel like it gives you as strong of an impact hookset. In and around cover I want to hit them hard and get them moving up/out. It looks like it’s going to have a much more firm/solid *THWACK* hookset than the Super Stallion with almost identical lure/line rating because of the construction?

How is the cast-ability with 3/4-2 oz baits? I know it’s going to zip jigs/T-rigs on short casts but could a person load it up and launch a big hollow frog, oversized guarded swimjig, or 8/0+ beast-hook swimbait? I know most ppl prefer a fast taper for those casting applications but I’d like to be able to make quick aggressive roll casts and not a traditional long sweeping cast motion.

How’s the feel for working heavy jigs and detecting bites? I know it’s going to be sensitive in general but is that tip super soft/flexy or is it more firm to manipulate the bait and clear weeds? What’s your take on how it compares to say a Luxxe Oltre with the magic *ting* tip?

As a Super Stallion owner I’m looking at the Rapid Gunner (or maybe a Luxxe Oltre B70H or Steez Racing Design 7011) to fill a more dedicated niche of heavy cover power fishing. Am I crazy or is this right on the money?

Any info and review is much appreciated!

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm
Location: California

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by RISE » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:17 am
Thanks man, a detailed review would be awesome. It looks like a very interesting rod on paper. This is what I’m thinking... I do a lot of heavy cover power fishing and typically like rods with ex-fast tapers with rigid backbone and nice crisp, sharp hooksets. For those applications that butter smooth Super Stallion taper down to the backbone doesn’t feel like it gives you as strong of an impact hookset. In and around cover I want to hit them hard and get them moving up/out. It looks like it’s going to have a much more firm/solid *THWACK* hookset than the Super Stallion with almost identical lure/line rating because of the construction?

How is the cast-ability with 3/4-2 oz baits? I know it’s going to zip jigs/T-rigs on short casts but could a person load it up and launch a big hollow frog, oversized guarded swimjig, or 8/0+ beast-hook swimbait? I know most ppl prefer a fast taper for those casting applications but I’d like to be able to make quick aggressive roll casts and not a traditional long sweeping cast motion.

How’s the feel for working heavy jigs and detecting bites? I know it’s going to be sensitive in general but is that tip super soft/flexy or is it more firm to manipulate the bait and clear weeds? What’s your take on how it compares to say a Luxxe Oltre with the magic *ting* tip?

As a Super Stallion owner I’m looking at the Rapid Gunner (or maybe a Luxxe Oltre B70H or Steez Racing Design 7011) to fill a more dedicated niche of heavy cover power fishing. Am I crazy or is this right on the money?

Any info and review is much appreciated!

All good questions, and lots for me to respond to. I will start by saying that I own all 4 rods you’ve mentioned, within many others, and while those 4 could all serve you well for intended purposes, they are all different in many ways. A few sticks stand out for me, but before I say more...just a few questions. 1) Which Super Stallion are you referring to? TKIC or TKLC? They are different rods, in both aesthetics and characteristics. 2) What is the heaviest/specific offerings you plan to toss on that 8/0 beast hook? 3) You mentioned “niche” but from what I’m reading, it sounds like you’re looking for more of a versatile stick. Are you wanting versatility, or something focused on t-rigged/guarded hook offerings? I own over 200 rods, and I’m completely obsessive when it comes to specific combos for specific tasks, and that’s why I’m asking.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:20 am

The SS I own is the TKIC. Absolutely love it but want something additional with more/faster hookset power. If that makes sense.

To a guy that owns 200+ rods I can see why that implies versatility but to me it doesn’t. I’m not a collector and having a $1000+ combo to throw probably only 2-3 total baits is very niche to me. I love the TKIC but am looking for something like that with a harder and faster impact hookset capability.

The bulk of the work would be casting 3/4-1.5 oz total weight jig/plastic size range but I still want a rod I can make long casts with.

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:48 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by j2015 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:02 am

How does the torray 1100 blanks compare to the blank on the tkic ss black?

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm
Location: California

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by RISE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 am

TKIC is the faster of the two, and that’s why I was asking just in case you were talking about the TKLC. You did mention 5 different baits (jigs, t-rigs, frogs, swim jigs, and 8/0 owner/swim bait), and that’s why I interpreted your statement as leaning towards “versatile”. Many people have different rods for those apps, myself included, but that’s just part of our “disease”...right?...😉

I have fished most of the rods I own, and there are many great options out there for what you are wanting to do, but if you prefer a true fast taper for everything you’ve mentioned, we can just keep this simple. Grab the Rapid Gunner, and enjoy! It will make long casts with the right reel/weight on it and it’s plenty sensitive. The 7011HRB and Oltre B70H will do it, but won’t like the 1.5oz upper end you’re mentioning, as much. The SS or RG will handle those weights and like the SS, the Steez/Oltre also have slower tapers than the RG. The Oltre is a different rod altogether, and the taper is more of a dual taper which is common these days in solid tip/separate tip builds to alleviate stress at the junction point where the main blank meets the tip section. The Steez also sports a slower taper but is more stout. It does a great job up close, but I’ve been underwhelmed by its long range performance. Still an awesome rod that’s fun to fish once you are dialed in on its strengths.
Little rant...this is just my experience, and we all have our own preference when it comes to what we like in a rod for any given technique/situation. No judgments here and TO EACH THEIR OWN.
I myself, prefer a slightly slower (med/fast) taper when I’m making close range pitches/short roll casts to heavy cover, but I will fish a slightly heavier powered stick when doing so to compensate for the slower taper. My reasoning?...an fast-exfast taper is great for those “thwack” hooksets, I agree, and trust me, I get it...but I prefer fast-exfast tapers for longer casts with more line out. At close range, while utilizing heavier line around cover and with less line out, you are stressing that fast/ex-fast blank out a great deal more on the hook set and definitely shortening the life/chancing failure of that blank. Aside from that, you also have a better chance of ripping a hook from a mouth. At close range, with heavier line, a slightly slower taper distributes the load more evenly throughout the blank and prolongs the rod’s life...not to mention, does a great job of keeping fish pinned.
You don’t see a ton of fast/ex-fast tapers when it comes to JDM offerings, aside from solid tips that usually have more of a “dual taper” to, as mentioned, alleviate stress at the junction point where that separate/solid tip section is integrated into the blank, and for good reason. Most of these builders/designers really know what they are doing, and if you look at rods like the X7 Amart 71 (pitching/flip)”, Super Rekkai, BJ Punch and Swimbait, Super Stallion, Steez RD 7011 HRB (touted as a jig rod), Zenaq B5-74, Sedition Hooligan and many others...you’ll notice that these rods all sport slower/unique tapers. Many of the rods I’m referring to are stated to do very well in heavy cover/grass/close/long range/pitching duties and that has been my experience with those and many other JDM sticks. That’s just my 2 cents.
If you’ve fished the Oltre B70H you’re probably familiar with its unique dual taper. It’s one of my absolute favorite sticks, period...but it’s not what I’d choose first, 2nd or 3rd if fishing close range, heavy cover. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pitched/skipped/roll-casted jigs, t-rigged plastics and 6-7” senkos around some sparse-moderate brush/tulles and have a blast doing so, but there are other sticks I’d rather utilize for what you are describing (unless I’m misunderstanding you). When things get hairier and I’m int the 3/4-1.5oz range, I’m reaching for the X7 Amart 71, or something similar. The slower taper and power come into play very well, and again, that powerful, slower taper would also allow you toss some big single hook baits. Froggin...would be a different stick IMO as the Amart’s tip is just a bit too stout for working a frog properly. Also consider that some of these sticks will tap out before that 1.5oz slot. The Grand Cobra RS could also do very well as a multi-tasker in this “niche”, and is rated to handle much heavier weights than the 7011 and B70H. It’s stout, med-fast taper is powerful and sensitive as well, but again, not what you want for froggin.

That’s enough babbling on that...so back to the rod that this thread was about. The Rapid Gunner simply excels at heavy t-rigs, jigs, carolinas and would probably do well with a frog but I haven’t tried it as I absolutely love my XBD and Heartland 741HXHFB for those duties. Yes, It could also handle big single hook duties, and swim jigs. Plenty of power and that true fast taper does a great job of getting a hook into any fish’s jaw. Only question you have to answer for yourself is if you want to chance stressing a 7-800.00 rod out for close range, heavy cover duties. With that Quattro wrap running all the way up and around the T1100/Nanoalloy inner blank and ending 13.75” away from the tip, it’s very similar to a solid tip in design, and that’s something to consider IMHO, as those close range hook-sets will generate even more stress at that section where the wrap ends. Again, it WILL absolutely do what you are wanting it to do, and will load up beautifully with the weights you’ve mentioned, but just wanted to throw those “other things” out there for you to consider as I believe they are relevant.

Also...The Rapid Gunner HD (all double foot guides) might be a better fit and at least you know the guide train would be a bit more comfy with the heavier use.

In other words...just buy it...😆

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by Cranky » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:48 am

Thanks RISE, I actually already ordered the Rapid Gunner HD, ironically enough! I’ll report back next week once I get some time on it.

I also use a XBD for frogs right now, great rod for that too.

Most of my fishing would be considered longer range and I really prefer those heavier power F/XF rods when possible. Can’t stand that *BOING* type hookset at the end of a long cast. Really looking forward to it.

domthewon
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:49 am

Re: Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR

Post by domthewon » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:36 am

RISE wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:56 am
TKIC is the faster of the two, and that’s why I was asking just in case you were talking about the TKLC. You did mention 5 different baits (jigs, t-rigs, frogs, swim jigs, and 8/0 owner/swim bait), and that’s why I interpreted your statement as leaning towards “versatile”. Many people have different rods for those apps, myself included, but that’s just part of our “disease”...right?...😉

I have fished most of the rods I own, and there are many great options out there for what you are wanting to do, but if you prefer a true fast taper for everything you’ve mentioned, we can just keep this simple. Grab the Rapid Gunner, and enjoy! It will make long casts with the right reel/weight on it and it’s plenty sensitive. The 7011HRB and Oltre B70H will do it, but won’t like the 1.5oz upper end you’re mentioning, as much. The SS or RG will handle those weights and like the SS, the Steez/Oltre also have slower tapers than the RG. The Oltre is a different rod altogether, and the taper is more of a dual taper which is common these days in solid tip/separate tip builds to alleviate stress at the junction point where the main blank meets the tip section. The Steez also sports a slower taper but is more stout. It does a great job up close, but I’ve been underwhelmed by its long range performance. Still an awesome rod that’s fun to fish once you are dialed in on its strengths.
Little rant...this is just my experience, and we all have our own preference when it comes to what we like in a rod for any given technique/situation. No judgments here and TO EACH THEIR OWN.
I myself, prefer a slightly slower (med/fast) taper when I’m making close range pitches/short roll casts to heavy cover, but I will fish a slightly heavier powered stick when doing so to compensate for the slower taper. My reasoning?...an fast-exfast taper is great for those “thwack” hooksets, I agree, and trust me, I get it...but I prefer fast-exfast tapers for longer casts with more line out. At close range, while utilizing heavier line around cover and with less line out, you are stressing that fast/ex-fast blank out a great deal more on the hook set and definitely shortening the life/chancing failure of that blank. Aside from that, you also have a better chance of ripping a hook from a mouth. At close range, with heavier line, a slightly slower taper distributes the load more evenly throughout the blank and prolongs the rod’s life...not to mention, does a great job of keeping fish pinned.
You don’t see a ton of fast/ex-fast tapers when it comes to JDM offerings, aside from solid tips that usually have more of a “dual taper” to, as mentioned, alleviate stress at the junction point where that separate/solid tip section is integrated into the blank, and for good reason. Most of these builders/designers really know what they are doing, and if you look at rods like the X7 Amart 71 (pitching/flip)”, Super Rekkai, BJ Punch and Swimbait, Super Stallion, Steez RD 7011 HRB (touted as a jig rod), Zenaq B5-74, Sedition Hooligan and many others...you’ll notice that these rods all sport slower/unique tapers. Many of the rods I’m referring to are stated to do very well in heavy cover/grass/close/long range/pitching duties and that has been my experience with those and many other JDM sticks. That’s just my 2 cents.
If you’ve fished the Oltre B70H you’re probably familiar with its unique dual taper. It’s one of my absolute favorite sticks, period...but it’s not what I’d choose first, 2nd or 3rd if fishing close range, heavy cover. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pitched/skipped/roll-casted jigs, t-rigged plastics and 6-7” senkos around some sparse-moderate brush/tulles and have a blast doing so, but there are other sticks I’d rather utilize for what you are describing (unless I’m misunderstanding you). When things get hairier and I’m int the 3/4-1.5oz range, I’m reaching for the X7 Amart 71, or something similar. The slower taper and power come into play very well, and again, that powerful, slower taper would also allow you toss some big single hook baits. Froggin...would be a different stick IMO as the Amart’s tip is just a bit too stout for working a frog properly. Also consider that some of these sticks will tap out before that 1.5oz slot. The Grand Cobra RS could also do very well as a multi-tasker in this “niche”, and is rated to handle much heavier weights than the 7011 and B70H. It’s stout, med-fast taper is powerful and sensitive as well, but again, not what you want for froggin.

That’s enough babbling on that...so back to the rod that this thread was about. The Rapid Gunner simply excels at heavy t-rigs, jigs, carolinas and would probably do well with a frog but I haven’t tried it as I absolutely love my XBD and Heartland 741HXHFB for those duties. Yes, It could also handle big single hook duties, and swim jigs. Plenty of power and that true fast taper does a great job of getting a hook into any fish’s jaw. Only question you have to answer for yourself is if you want to chance stressing a 7-800.00 rod out for close range, heavy cover duties. With that Quattro wrap running all the way up and around the T1100/Nanoalloy inner blank and ending 13.75” away from the tip, it’s very similar to a solid tip in design, and that’s something to consider IMHO, as those close range hook-sets will generate even more stress at that section where the wrap ends. Again, it WILL absolutely do what you are wanting it to do, and will load up beautifully with the weights you’ve mentioned, but just wanted to throw those “other things” out there for you to consider as I believe they are relevant.

Also...The Rapid Gunner HD (all double foot guides) might be a better fit and at least you know the guide train would be a bit more comfy with the heavier use.

In other words...just buy it...😆
Great info, and thought out purposes for different rod actions and tapers. It’s always cool to see how others use the same rods in different ways. Thanks.

Post Reply