Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DetroitBassN
Angler
Angler
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by DetroitBassN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I’m looking for a good jerkbait. I fish a resivoir near me a lot and have had no success with the 110 or pointer and always just end up tying on a fluke to nail them. I’m looking for a good hardbate, any suggestions?

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:49 pm

DetroitBassN wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:31 pm
I’m looking for a good jerkbait. I fish a resivoir near me a lot and have had no success with the 110 or pointer and always just end up tying on a fluke to nail them. I’m looking for a good hardbate, any suggestions?
If your not getting hit on a 110 or Pointer, I'm not sure your going to get hit on a jerkbait. Possibly size down to a 110 jr, go deeper with a 110 +1,+2,+3. I have had very good luck with a MB IXI type R Shad, when I am not getting a jerkbait bite. It runs well straight retrieve or otherwise. I run the shallow version, but there are two other depth versions. Not sure how deep your reservior is, but the other hardbait that works for me is a Jackall TN series. I'm generally yo-yoin these off the bottom with great success depending on time of year.

domthewon
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:49 am

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by domthewon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:55 pm

I wouldn’t necessarily say better, but under different conditions I have nailed them on the jackall rerange. It’s a lot louder jerkbait, and works well when I want to pull bass up from below and a silent jerk isn’t doing it for me.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5639
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Jerkbait fishing is so much about so many things, other than the bait itself. Try a Jackall Squad Minnow 80. It's smaller than what you've been using, but it's what works best for me when I don't want to put a whole lot of thought into working the bait.

Fishing4Fun
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Lots of good jerkbaits on the market. The MB 110 and LC pointer are great. Have you tried the slender pointer (long slender profile) or the pointer 78? Both are little smaller in profile and seem to work great in cold water when fish are keying in on smaller prey.

The IMA stick is a nice jerkbait that also has a slender profile. The Spro McStick and 6th sense Provoke are great options as well and cheaper than pointers and 110s.

If you can get some of the Xcalibur jerkbaits they are good.

fishes
Angler
Angler
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by fishes » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 am

I use the evergreen FA jerkbait (specifically the FA 87). I really really like them.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by SSS » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm

For the last few years, every time i don't use a vision 110, i ask myself why am i wasting time. All the squadminows, reranges, shadow rap shads, etc are a no match for the vision 110's. I still use em because they're cheaper, but if i could, i'd use the 110's exclusively. The way they slash in the water during a jerk is just too good, and bass agrees :o

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1712
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm
For the last few years, every time i don't use a vision 110, i ask myself why am i wasting time. All the squadminows, reranges, shadow rap shads, etc are a no match for the vision 110's. I still use em because they're cheaper, but if i could, i'd use the 110's exclusively. The way they slash in the water during a jerk is just too good, and bass agrees :o
Have you tried the silent version? That thing literally looks like it's trembling with fear as it comes to a rest. Like it's ready to dart in any direction at the slightest provocation.

Shadow raps do have their time to shine. They shimmy as they slowly sink and I've never seen any other hardbait do that. Almost sorta kinda like a senko or something...
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm
For the last few years, every time i don't use a vision 110, i ask myself why am i wasting time. All the squadminows, reranges, shadow rap shads, etc are a no match for the vision 110's. I still use em because they're cheaper, but if i could, i'd use the 110's exclusively. The way they slash in the water during a jerk is just too good, and bass agrees :o
I once thought the same thing but the re-range has made a believer out of me this season. I'm catching more on it than the MB 110.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:22 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm
SSS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm
For the last few years, every time i don't use a vision 110, i ask myself why am i wasting time. All the squadminows, reranges, shadow rap shads, etc are a no match for the vision 110's. I still use em because they're cheaper, but if i could, i'd use the 110's exclusively. The way they slash in the water during a jerk is just too good, and bass agrees :o
Have you tried the silent version? That thing literally looks like it's trembling with fear as it comes to a rest. Like it's ready to dart in any direction at the slightest provocation.

Shadow raps do have their time to shine. They shimmy as they slowly sink and I've never seen any other hardbait do that. Almost sorta kinda like a senko or something...
Never tried the silent version because i mostly fish in stained to semi stained waters. But im sure they're excellent for clean water.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:25 am

njbasscat wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 pm
For the last few years, every time i don't use a vision 110, i ask myself why am i wasting time. All the squadminows, reranges, shadow rap shads, etc are a no match for the vision 110's. I still use em because they're cheaper, but if i could, i'd use the 110's exclusively. The way they slash in the water during a jerk is just too good, and bass agrees :o
I once thought the same thing but the re-range has made a believer out of me this season. I'm catching more on it than the MB 110.
Using em since early last year. While i do agree that they're good, to me, they're nowhere near as good as the 110's. The erratic slashing of the 110's is so good. I personally prefer the xrap from rapala over the rerange, these two have a really nice erratic slashing on a jerk.

User avatar
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

I'll also add that if you can't catch them on a 110 or pointer, I don't think switching to another bait will yield the results your looking for. Both are top notch and produce fish all year long at every lake I fish.

User avatar
dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 am
Location: SE FL

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by dhottle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:55 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am
I'll also add that if you can't catch them on a 110 or pointer, I don't think switching to another bait will yield the results your looking for. Both are top notch and produce fish all year long at every lake I fish.
This makes a lot of sense. Maybe your problem is depth control rather than bait selection. If you can replicate the action of the fluke (soft bait) with a hard jerkbait & the same depth you'll get bit.

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:44 am

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 am

Are the vision 110 durability issues for real?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Good jerkbait that’s better than a 110 or pointer?

Post by Revofisher » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:09 pm

i use a lot of mb 110 variants in winter through early spring with great success. I also catch a lot with the rerange as well both are great jerkbaits. Honestly there is one lake i fish that they really love the the rapala husky jerk in crome... sometimes it really is a match the hatch on your body of water to which will work best. as far as performance and castability mb 110 and jackal jerkbaits are great at that. I have only broken one vision 110 and it was due to hitting a dock piling with a high speed cast so im all for this being my fault it wold have broken any bait. I really dont think they have any durability issues with them.

Post Reply