High end JDM rod recommendations

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: High end JDM rod recommendations

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:05 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=80154
Yeah..I knew I was repeating myself from somewhere, but new member need to be welcomed by this type of information. :D

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:27 pm

fishes wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:54 pm
steez racing design. There are rods that are close to as good as racing designs but nothing better
I would tend to agree with this statement. Materials, Component, Fit, and Finish as good as you can get in a production rod. But...These are all bottom contact centric rods, read the suitable baits for each rod, all bottom contact. The OP is looking for a versetile rod.
Now, never having the pleasure of owning one (yet), I can't personally speak for the effective use of these as a versitile rods. With that said, Daiwa is one of the better brands at acutly laying out the intention and effective lure presentations of rods.
Always worth the OP checking out for himself..I'd start with the 6'10 ML+

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

If the OP were looking for something to throw 3/8th to 5/8th I would have been chomping at the bit to suggest the Evergreen Stallion RS Limited. Can't say enough good things about the high end versitility of that rod.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:05 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Yeah..I knew I was repeating myself from somewhere, but new member need to be welcomed by this type of information. :D
It just has all the links to those crazy sounding rods. Walnuts.
This is the way.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Aside from how amazing the rod looks, i'm sure the extra $$$ is just for the name alone. :shock:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:33 pm

They look freakin' sweet and I bet they fish spectacularly. They're not just over the top expensive, either. If you could source them, that is. I'd probably go with the Spanky myself, lol. Seriously, though.
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:55 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Aside from how amazing the rod looks, i'm sure the extra $$$ is just for the name alone. :shock:
Yeah, I'd say all considered, they are not overpriced. No clue if they are made in Japan or not, probobly not at that price point. Like PN said..hard to source. I have no clue if that shop in the link ships or not. Honestly, wouldnt be my first choice of what your looking for. PN and I were just marveling at the names. My only hesitation with that rod line-up is the ACS reel seats on all but 2, not for me.

If you don't mind losing a couple of inches on the rod, the other one I would suggest is the Luxxe Efreet 6'7M-RF. Again, Made in Japan, Torayca 1100G Blank, build quality 2nd to none. TI/SIC guides, very light. Built to be a versetile stick. I've got the 7'MH-F and that is too crispy to be a good versitile stick. Should be reletivly easy to source at around $500. But in all honesty the Designo would be my first choice.

http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/client/produ ... Code=24408

It's sacreligious to put a Steez on a Shimano Product, so those are out of the question.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Really appreciate all the suggestions guys, I think I have a relatively good list now. Problem is I have to debate which rod to pick. I was going to go with another poison series rod because I've had mine for several years and it survived all my abuse without an issue. If I was to pull the trigger on any of these rods will I have to be extra careful not to snap a tip or bang it on a rock? :oops:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Yes. They'll be good quality, though, so unless you're just extremely careless you'll be fine. I don't think they have the same long term warranties over there that we do, anyway. They sure don't advertise it very much if they do, at least from what I've seen.
This is the way.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53 pm
Yes. They'll be good quality, though, so unless you're just extremely careless you'll be fine. I don't think they have the same long term warranties over there that we do, anyway. They sure don't advertise it very much if they do, at least from what I've seen.
Okay, good to know. Because i know one rod can't have everything strength, durability, sensitivity, light weight etc... Unless there is one, where do I sign my soul off for one? :lol:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm
Really appreciate all the suggestions guys, I think I have a relatively good list now. Problem is I have to debate which rod to pick. I was going to go with another poison series rod because I've had mine for several years and it survived all my abuse without an issue. If I was to pull the trigger on any of these rods will I have to be extra careful not to snap a tip or bang it on a rock? :oops:
If you don't feel comfortable taking a bit of a risk then you might want to stick with your poison series rods and a rod that you purchase from a dealer in the US. The 6'10 versions of the Ultima and Glorius look to be fantastic rods. (not sure if these can be bought in the US) Even the Adrena looks great. If I owned a Shimano baitcaster, I would be all over the Ultima. Both rods I suggested are top quality rods, with top of the line quality control. But stuff happens, rods break. If your worried about a warranty, don't buy a rod from Japan. Although most rods bought directly from a Proshop will have a warranty, you are looking at shipping costs both ways, communication issues, ect.. Plus, in Japan abusing a warranty policy by claiming you broke the rod while setting the hook on a 10 inch bass, when you really slammed it in the car door is virtually non exsistant. There are alot less fake claims, and warranty issues are scrutinized for actual manufacturer defects. I pretend that I don't have a warranty and take care due care of the rods I buy from Japan. There is nothing wrong with giving a high quality rod a little respect with some TLC. There is also nothing wrong with throwing your rod around, banging it on rocks or using it as a pole vault. To each his own on that subject.
Plenty of good options from Megabass of course, and with warranty, even if you pole vault.

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:27 pm
heyitzpetah wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm
If you don't feel comfortable taking a bit of a risk then you might want to stick with your poison series rods and a rod that you purchase from a dealer in the US. The 6'10 versions of the Ultima and Glorius look to be fantastic rods. (not sure if these can be bought in the US) Even the Adrena looks great. If I owned a Shimano baitcaster, I would be all over the Ultima. Both rods I suggested are top quality rods, with top of the line quality control. But stuff happens, rods break. If your worried about a warranty, don't buy a rod from Japan. Although most rods bought directly from a Proshop will have a warranty, you are looking at shipping costs both ways, communication issues, ect.. Plus, in Japan abusing a warranty policy by claiming you broke the rod while setting the hook on a 10 inch bass, when you really slammed it in the car door is virtually non exsistant. There are alot less fake claims, and warranty issues are scrutinized for actual manufacturer defects. I pretend that I don't have a warranty and take care due care of the rods I buy from Japan. There is nothing wrong with giving a high quality rod a little respect with some TLC. There is also nothing wrong with throwing your rod around, banging it on rocks or using it as a pole vault. To each his own on that subject.
Plenty of good options from Megabass of course, and with warranty, even if you pole vault.
thanks for the insight, it was just a slight worry. I'm sure even without warranty I should be fine, I've never broken a rod (knock on wood).

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 am

Shimano Poison Ultima 66M (Versatile).

This rod is "it" in terms of versatility which the OP asked about. I will literally start with a topwater bait, switch over to a swimming senko/MB Dark Sleeper and finish with something texas rigged/jig as the sun gets higher. I have little doubt that it would "win" the search for one if TT ever reviewed the rod. FWIW, I have other search for one candidates--MD Evo Elseil ('14 model), Evergreen Black Racer, etc. while those are great rods, the Ultima edges them for me. The sensitivity of the rod is up there w/the Gloomis NRX's and the taper allows for an incredible range of techniques/lures in the 1/4 - 3/4 oz range.

I'm a big fan of the Ultima line of rods, period, but the Versatile model is a really, really strong candidate for doing everything within its weight range.

Also, these rods (as you would expect) balance perfectly with the Metanium reels and the new Antares reels.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:53 am

jmb27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 am
Shimano Poison Ultima 66M (Versatile).

This rod is "it" in terms of versatility which the OP asked about. I will literally start with a topwater bait, switch over to a swimming senko/MB Dark Sleeper and finish with something texas rigged/jig as the sun gets higher. I have little doubt that it would "win" the search for one if TT ever reviewed the rod. FWIW, I have other search for one candidates--MD Evo Elseil ('14 model), Evergreen Black Racer, etc. while those are great rods, the Ultima edges them for me. The sensitivity of the rod is up there w/the Gloomis NRX's and the taper allows for an incredible range of techniques/lures in the 1/4 - 3/4 oz range.

I'm a big fan of the Ultima line of rods, period, but the Versatile model is a really, really strong candidate for doing everything within its weight range.

Also, these rods (as you would expect) balance perfectly with the Metanium reels and the new Antares reels.
Preach! That goes for a lot of JDM rods, I think. Versatility is King. My beloved Major Crafts are the same way, especially the 66M/R, 610M/R, 67MH/RF, & 70MH/RF. Really, every rod in the series is as adept with moving baits as it is bottom contact baits within its rating and they're all lightweight and perfectly balanced.

How is the action classified on the Ultima you're talking about? It's really more of a progressive taper, isn't it? That's key to a rod's versatility and the magic of JDM rods. It should continue to smoothly flex with increasing pressure beyond the point at which the hook set occurs. They are more sensitive to the gauge and sharpness of the hook being used, it seems, so that and the right line should be taken into account for optimal results. The only real barrier for these types of sticks becoming TSFO heavyweights are price and availability.
This is the way.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 am

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:53 am

Preach! That goes for a lot of JDM rods, I think. Versatility is King. My beloved Major Crafts are the same way, especially the 66M/R, 610M/R, 67MH/RF, & 70MH/RF. Really, every rod in the series is as adept with moving baits as it is bottom contact baits within its rating and they're all lightweight and perfectly balanced.

How is the action classified on the Ultima you're talking about? It's really more of a progressive taper, isn't it? That's key to a rod's versatility and the magic of JDM rods. It should continue to smoothly flex with increasing pressure beyond the point at which the hook set occurs. They are more sensitive to the gauge and sharpness of the hook being used, it seems, so that and the right line should be taken into account for optimal results. The only real barrier for these types of sticks becoming TSFO heavyweights are price and availability.
I have the Major Craft MS-X BFS rod and I've been impressed with the rod, especially for the price point.

The action of the 66M Versatile is fast. Yes, the taper transitions into the backbone in a progressive fashion. I believe that is how the sensitive tip can still handle treble hooked baits/topwater well and be a "shock absorber" so to speak so that you don't rip the bait out of the fish's mouth. I have some NRX rods and I don't feel that I'm missing anything when I use a t-rig/jig w/the Ultima vs. say the NRX 853c. It should be noted that within the Shimano Ultima line, there is a 70M composite rod designed for all things treble hooked, but I haven't had any issues using smaller cranks/squarebills w/the Versatile. I am intrigued by the 610M, which looks like a 4 inch longer version of the Versatile.

On a related side note, the wrap on the blanks looks similar (and I suspect some of the models have similar technical specs) to the Conquest rods, which makes sense as the Conquest are billed as a Shimano/Gloomis collaboration. The Ultima rods are billed as a Jackall/Shimano collaboration.

Sure, if the Ultima rods had US distribution (as well as Evergreen's higher end offerings), thetackletrap would get even more money from me. :lol: ;)

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 pm

You guys are seriously not making it any easier to decide lol.. ultima was definitely one of my top choices a long side either major craft, daiwa, and mega bass. But now I see all these new suggestions, tough decisions...