Alphas 2019 vs 2017 model

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas 2019 vs 2017 model

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:46 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Does anyone have a good schematic for the sv 105? I'm adding bearings and can't find a clear schematic online as a PDF, only grainy JPEG files.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/index.html
This is the way.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:46 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:09 pm
Does anyone have a good schematic for the sv 105? I'm adding bearings and can't find a clear schematic online as a PDF, only grainy JPEG files.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/index.html
Thanks, didn't think the alphas would be listed on the us site but its the same one listed as plat.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 pm

I have two of the alphas ct’s and let me tell you they are smoother than any other previous alphas version I have ever used. The casting is effortless and the smooth cranking power surprised me. I have been using them with 20 lb braid , throwing topwater , chatterbaits , spinnerbaits and bottom contact. It’s truly one of my favorite reels I have ever used.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 pm
I have two of the alphas ct’s and let me tell you they are smoother than any other previous alphas version I have ever used. The casting is effortless and the smooth cranking power surprised me. I have been using them with 20 lb braid , throwing topwater , chatterbaits , spinnerbaits and bottom contact. It’s truly one of my favorite reels I have ever used.
And moreover to that, in case of putting only half a spool of line (to avoid line mass/inertia), it’s practically BFS capable as well. I have half a spool of line and lures of 3 grams are easy to cast. It’s truly versatile and nice reel and it feels really solid.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:23 am

The CT reels get a lot of love here. That is good. I will say, as an owner and user of many baitcasters, that I am no huge fan of the CT reels. If I want BFS capabilities, my BFS reels perform better and my “old” Alphas SV with DIY spool does as well. The Steez CT and Millionaire CT are OK with 4-5 gram lures, but they could be better, and several reels outperform them below that lure weight class. If I am not in BFS territory, say 5-10 gram, which may/may not be called power finesse, then I have several other reels that outperform them as well or do as well for less USD. I do not feel that my CT reels are any more smooth or with tighter tolerances than so many of my other high end reels. The have good tolerances, yes indeed, and they should at that price point. That is maybe just me, but you need both sides of the story before making your decision. I have not tried the Alphas CT, which is not very expensive, gets good reviews, and may be just what you are looking for. It is worth a try IMO. The Steez CT on the other hand - IMO you should look for something cheaper and decide what you will be targeting most (what style of fishing). Good luck with your purchase.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:37 pm

The big advantage of CT SV is the versatility. I have Steez CT SV TW, and I'm using it from 3 to15g. I have Alphas Air with Ray Studio spool, with this reel I by far prefer a softer rod than the one I use with CT SV when casting 3-4g. It feels like the CT SV is extending the casting weight range both upwards and downwards for the rod I use it with compared to other reels (the rod is a MC Volkey 6'8" BFS). Previously I would carry three setups when fishing, one with Alphas Air or Aldebaran BFS 16, one with Steez with a Ray Studio spool and one with T3 SV. With CT SV I only bring one rod and one reel. The other reels are casting as well or better than CT SV, but only for a very limited range of casting weights, CT SV will handle it all the casting weights with one single rod. Combining this with the small form factor and low weight we have a winner. My other reels all have different HH Air bearings and most have tuning spools, the CT SV is 100% original.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:24 pm

I get that small size and low weight may be a big bonus for some (even though low weight can be had in other reels).

I almost always only carry one setup when fishing, but bring an extra spool (or extra reel) in case I have a bad backlash. I very rarely swap the spool/reel (like 1:300 trips). I still honestly cannot see that the stock CTs are unique in their casting weight range or extend it meaningfully what can be achieved in some other stock reels. And IF I could: This is TackleTour - whoever cares about stock... nobody uses any reel in stock form 8-) :lol: Heck, I do not use my CTs stock because I do not like them that way ;) ...slap a ZPI NRC001M in any 34mm Daiwa and you get as good or better performance (perfect for 3-15g weight range and beyond etc) as with stock Steez CTs. For fewer USDs.