TDZ guys...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TDZ guys...

Post by Cali » Sat May 25, 2019 7:24 pm

I have a TDZ Type R+. As we all know Daiwa goofed it up with the paint on all TDZ variants. I paid about $230 for my Type R+, and it has a small blemish as you'd expect. I have been going over the idea of cerakoting it in a chameleon colorway. This would be about $150. I would send it to Ian afterwards, obviously :big grin:. Would this be like slamming a hemi in an old Ferrari? I'm just curious if this would help the value or be a giant waste. Opinions, or options are much appreciated. Thanks TT, Sean.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TDZ guys...

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat May 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Only you can judge "value". Its very personnal. Just with what you list you will be over $400 in an old reel, which will be far from NIB condition.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:05 am

With custom painting you can expect to add very little market value to your reel imo. Its more for personal taste.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am

you know,"slamming a hemi in an old Ferrari" sounds pretty awesome. tell me /us more. you could get to a fishing hole pretty quick and be in style, too.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Value adding by corrosion, wear resistancy / durability yes absolutely.

Value adding by way of increasing value - Most see it as a patch job or cover up - most people here are too sceptical / scared of buying a recpated reel for the "unknown" factor of a reels life. So I would ultimately say no in that category - by most only paying market value of a reel regardless of exterior finish either being OE or aftermarket respray.

If you were going to keep the reel for a very long time I would say that $150 is a reasonably high price to pay for a upper crust coating compared to automotive finish which can scratch and peel easily.

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Tue May 28, 2019 4:56 am

If you love the reel intend to keep and use it you will be welled served getting it painted and tuned by Ian, it should come back to you as a true performance reelbetter than new. But if you are not sure how much you like it, leave as is and fish it.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm

For a beat up reel like a TDZ I think a fresh coat of paint will increase the value. I bought a TDZ 103h recently that some marks, rash, and beat up chrome nose pieces for about $80. If I took that reel and slapped a new coat of paint on it by a reputable painter while keeping the internal function in perfect working order I would venture to say the reel could draw around $150 to someone that could appreciate the work. Like with anything custom, don’t expect to get back 100 percent of what you put into the reel. I remember back when I joined TT there were a fair amount of Calfish painted reels. They would command a pretty penny because he was good at what he did and was reputable.

So if you had $230 in the reel now and $150 for paint and $40 worth of Ian’s work and everything comes back in good working order and reel parts and frame are near flawless with box and papers you could probably get $300-350 from the right buyer. But on the flip side how long will it take for the reel to sell especially if not many others share the same enthusiasm for the color of paint you chose. In that case you may have to settle for $250-300.

Some guys care about cosmetics, some guys collect and prefer original over altered, and some are only considered with function and not so much with looks.

That is why you will see guys customize reels but keep the stock parts to revert them back before selling and then list the aftermarket parts separate as rarely will get out of a reel what you put in.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am

Are there still replacement parts available for this platform?

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 am

nctrucker wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:43 am
you know,"slamming a hemi in an old Ferrari" sounds pretty awesome. tell me /us more. you could get to a fishing hole pretty quick and be in style, too.
I probably shouldn't knock it until I've tried it :lol:

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 29, 2019 12:22 pm

Nihility wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am
Not really. Best bet is to purchase ones that are cosmetically beat up, and tuck them for parts.
<")))><{

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Nihility wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:07 am
Some parts yes, others no. For the most part like said above, buying a donor reel is your best bet.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm