Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Post Reply
User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:41 am

Was finally able to locate one of these gems at a price point I could afford that wasn't terribly abused. Just curious on if anyone has ever used one of these rods? What was your favorite technique for it? Trying to get an idea of what reel to by as I feel like this rod deserves more than just ANY reel. :lol:
4513473324819-sp1.jpg
4513473324819-sp1.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 896 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3258
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by goldrod » Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Is it a cranking rod?
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 am

I would think so considering they released a limited edition knuckle with it. The only information I've found is specs on the rod not really a typed out description which is why I made a post on here to see if anyone has used one.

User avatar
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by 389Maverick » Fri May 24, 2019 5:35 am

I do know of someone that has this exact rod, or should I say, this exact gorgeous rod!
Let me get a hold of him, and maybe he can chime in shortly. ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqXtWLZgYAg/
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am

Saw this post on instagram and was a previous member of TP but got purged for not adding a picture when requested :crying: My instagram is mason_crouthamel if that method of contact is easier- thank you in advance!

User avatar
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by 389Maverick » Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am

MCROUT14 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am
Saw this post on instagram and was a previous member of TP but got purged for not adding a picture when requested :crying: My instagram is mason_crouthamel if that method of contact is easier- thank you in advance!
You're dead to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 am

389Maverick wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am
MCROUT14 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am
Saw this post on instagram and was a previous member of TP but got purged for not adding a picture when requested :crying: My instagram is mason_crouthamel if that method of contact is easier- thank you in advance!
You're dead to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4844
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Central Washington
Contact:

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 am

I have the non crane version, so same thing just not as fancy. I have it paired with a TD-Z and use it for lipless cranks. This rod was one of Amarts favorite jerkbait rods.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 am
I have the non crane version, so same thing just not as fancy. I have it paired with a TD-Z and use it for lipless cranks. This rod was one of Amarts favorite jerkbait rods.
Thanks for the info Teal! It seems like it would set up perfect for any 3/8-1/2oz moving bait. Given that I’m not a very tall person I doubt jerkbaits will be my go-to but I’ll definitely have to try it out! I swear I have this “fishing” thing figured out and then I get told a pro uses a 7’2” rod for jerkbaits :-k :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Pssh... To a certain extent they'll use whatever they have to in order to sell rods.

You do you, brother.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
MCROUT14
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by MCROUT14 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:04 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Pssh... To a certain extent they'll use whatever they have to in order to sell rods.

You do you, brother.
In the present, yes but during the year this came out I’d like to think other wise. Given that it’s a 1 of 99 I would think money was the last thing they were looking for.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 pm

I mean using the standard version without the awesome cranes as a jerkbait stick. This limited version you have just has to exist to sell.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4844
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Central Washington
Contact:

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Pssh... To a certain extent they'll use whatever they have to in order to sell rods.

You do you, brother.
Considering he had a plethora of other JB sticks he could have used and he didnt push this rod, I'd say he had a legit reason to use it as such. MB hasnt had much of an issue selling rods for nearly two decades now and well before this rod came onto the scene. :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

User avatar
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4844
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Central Washington
Contact:

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:12 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 pm
Teal101 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 am
I have the non crane version, so same thing just not as fancy. I have it paired with a TD-Z and use it for lipless cranks. This rod was one of Amarts favorite jerkbait rods.
Thanks for the info Teal! It seems like it would set up perfect for any 3/8-1/2oz moving bait. Given that I’m not a very tall person I doubt jerkbaits will be my go-to but I’ll definitely have to try it out! I swear I have this “fishing” thing figured out and then I get told a pro uses a 7’2” rod for jerkbaits :-k :lol:
I've run up to 3/4oz on it and it does those fine as well. LV500, one knockers, red eyes. It fishes better on its upper end, 1/2-3/4oz imo.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Megabass F5-72XRC-ACL

Post by poisonokie » Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 am

Teal101 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Pssh... To a certain extent they'll use whatever they have to in order to sell rods.

You do you, brother.
Considering he had a plethora of other JB sticks he could have used and he didnt push this rod, I'd say he had a legit reason to use it as such. MB hasnt had much of an issue selling rods for nearly two decades now and well before this rod came onto the scene. :lol:
I'm just saying a healthy amount of cynicism is good when it comes to pros and their sponsorships. I mean, whatever rods he used to catch 50 fish and come in first on Table Rock yesterday probably weren't his favorites but something still in production. I get what you're saying, but every company has a marketing department. It's not like Daiwa has it has ever had any trouble selling reels, but they sell a lot more when the plaster their name on some guy's Jersey and tell him which reel he'll be using/promoting for the weekend.

No reason a guy can't fish jerkbaits on a 7'2" rod. And that's a nice tidbit of info that you threw in there. I'm not saying you or A Mart is full of crap. I just think most people would have trouble and that rod in particular was designed with other purposes in mind.
Still waters run deep.

Post Reply