Questions about a td-ito baitcaster

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Questions about a td-ito baitcaster

Post by j2015 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:07 am

Hello,
I recently purchased a Daiwa td ito 103hl project reed from here in the forums.

After a quick clean up, I found that it is in pretty good condition and I am going to update it a bit but I am not sure if there are any internal differences between the 103m and 103hl.

The drag is not smooth and I was going to get some Carbontex, is the td103 Carbontex the same for all models of Daiwa td103?

Also, I like a swept handle. The stock drag star hits the handle.. Any ideas for a new drag star?

It there a bearing kit out there for the td reels?

Thanks in advance!!

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Questions about a td-ito baitcaster

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am

Is there a bearing kit out there?

Off hand I'd say no. Never heard of any bearing kits for any reels. Not how they do it from my experience.

Bearings are usually purchased separately upon need.

A good digital micrometer helps to identify measurements based on IDxODxW usually in mm.

And you can try any number of materials for drag washers. I have been experimenting with those for decades. Make your own. Heck, a lot of reels, usually cheap reels, have drag washers made from water pipe gasket material cut to fit. The blue drag washers are a prime example of this material. And it sticks to metal too and is not ideal. Cross fiber woven material would work better.

Carbontex is certainly one brand to consider, but often you can buy the sheets of it yourself and just make your own. I do. Carbontex is over priced in my opinion and I do not like the size and shape of some of their drag washers they claim fit my reels are often not dialed in as tightly accurate as I want them.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 am

The M and the H are different gear ratios, otherwise they are the same. As far as the handle, to add a swept handle, you are going to need a swept star drag. Daiwa Steeze, PX, and quite a few others will work as well. No kits, but you can get spool bearings as a kit, and then you will have to source the frame bearings separately. You can always contact the guys at Tackle Trap and they can guide you with what you need to complete your task. They have almost anything for Daiwa reels, and the TDZs are almost endless with the modifications.
<")))><{

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:54 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 am
The M and the H are different gear ratios, otherwise they are the same. As far as the handle, to add a swept handle, you are going to need a swept star drag. Daiwa Steeze, PX, and quite a few others will work as well. No kits, but you can get spool bearings as a kit, and then you will have to source the frame bearings separately. You can always contact the guys at Tackle Trap and they can guide you with what you need to complete your task. They have almost anything for Daiwa reels, and the TDZs are almost endless with the modifications.

Thanks, I just ordered a high speed gear set from them for it, maybe I’ll have to add to the order

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
are almost endless with the modifications.

Speaking of mods LMG, just today I purchased a sheet of cowhide leather to cut some drag washers out of it.

Leather is one material found in older reels for drag washers. I'm gonna experiment with it on spinning reels first and use it in place of felt and see how it works out.

I love experimenting with drag washer materials. Manufacturers do it. We can too.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 am

ShimanoFan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
are almost endless with the modifications.

Speaking of mods LMG, just today I purchased a sheet of cowhide leather to cut some drag washers out of it.

Leather is one material found in older reels for drag washers. I'm gonna experiment with it on spinning reels first and use it in place of felt and see how it works out.

I love experimenting with drag washer materials. Manufacturers do it. We can too.
No kidding!. Aint never heard of that, but Im curious as to what happens.
<")))><{

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 pm

If you do a google search on leather drag washers a thread on the alan tani website forum comes up. Good read, though there is some misinformation on there as well. One guy said leather hardens up. Not when it is soaked in oil or grease it won't. Glazing could be an issue, but I only bass fish with the reels I'd use it in. Glazing would take quite a while if it ever happens at all.

I am more concerned about drag friction ability compared with felt at this point. I have no concerns over hardening leather or glazing since bass do not heat up drag washers to any temps I'd be concerned with. Now if I were to use for saltwater reds and tarpon, that's a different story.

I have old saltwater reels that come with a leather thumb drag shield between thumb and spool. It worked for the old timers...

I plan on trying the leather as it comes with one side polished somewhat, and will compare with roughing up both sides and even try it in baitcast reels eventually if it works in spinning. Can't hurt anything to try. This experiment cost a whopping .50 cents.

So to the OP, try making your own drag washers sometime. There are tons of ebay sales pages to buy from under $20 a sheet you can cut enough drag washers out of to last years... just stay close with thickness matching to stock drag washers is all you need to worry about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-D ... ABpKv86fvA

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks, that is interesting, I would imagine that the a perfect washer material would be something that has a very inform flat surface with a consistent friction under many different conditions and loads..leather seems like leather would be variable based on humidity or temperature

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:05 pm

shout out to tackle trap, what a great group of guys over there a real asset to the tackle junkie community =D>