Megabass Addermine, Orochi XX Whipsnake, or Orochi XXX Jade Python

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Megabass Addermine, Orochi XX Whipsnake, or Orochi XXX Jade Python

Post by Finesse Angler » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Looking for some feedback on these three rods. Currently fishing a Major Craft MS-X L and wanting to step up just a little in stiffness. I’m going to use it as an all around rod for small jerkbaits and cranks to soft plastics on 1/8oz heads and lighter as well as top waters like pop-x and dog-x jr. cayou. Let me know how they fish if you’ve used any, especially the Addermine and Whipsnake.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Addermine, Orochi XX Whipsnake, or Orochi XXX Jade Python

Post by bronzefly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm

I don't know that MC rod, so I can't offer any comparison there... I do know the other three Megabass rods however.

The US Destroyer Addermine is a special rod indeed and a worthwhile investment. It's a bit more powerful than the other two, which fish very similarly to one another. The Addermine is noticeably more sensitive, lighter, and just more crisp in my hands than the other two - as it should be considering the price difference. The Whipsnake is readily available and a fine rod that will handle your needs well, and its nicely versatile as well, just with a bit less power than Addermine as mentioned. The XXX Jade Python feels a shade slower in action than the XX Whipsnake and lends itself nicely to lighter bottom contact/drop shot/neko/ned type presentations and is a really nice small treble hook bait. Our customers have had good things to say about throwing a jerk bait and small cranks on the Jade Python - similar to my experience with it. I never threw smaller top waters, but they are similarly weighted treble hook baits, so I imagine it would work nicely for those as well. Best of luck regardless, all three are very nice rods. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Appreciate the feedback. I’m really intrigued by the Addermine but I’m worried I’d be using too much stick. Is it crazy noticeable on the power difference or is it just a bit more power for the fight.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:45 am

In Megabass terms, the Addermine is 1/2 power heavier than either Whipsnake or Jade Python. The power differential is clearly noticeable, but it isn't like going from a Medium Light (3) power to a Medium Heavy (5) power. If you're using 1/8 oz heads and lighter, not any heavier, and those 1/4 oz treble hook top water baits, the Whipsnake will perform very nicely for you.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Thanks for the information. I think that I’ll be going with the Whipsnake when I’m ready to order. Still might grab the Addermine some day to see what the hype is about.