Need reel suggestion

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need reel suggestion

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi all, so im waiting for my tax return and I was thinking of using that money to buy another reel, right now im torn between the 2019 Morethan or a Gancraft T3 Mago. I like the Morethan because it looks like my Steez A but with a different paint finish, but I also like the T3 a lot also from the looks, I will be using whichever reel I get in a saltwater environment. The only concern I have is about the T3, I have heard stories of the "hood" snapping off due to its material. Do they even make replacement hoods for that specific T3 anymore? What do you guys think? This would be my first reel from Japan, I usually buy reels here in the US for the warranty but they don't have these reels here. Thanks for all your input.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need reel suggestion

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 pm

T3s are generally a love hate thing. I've been through 7 now I think. Never had a hood snap, but I've heard stories. You would have to source another T3 for a spare hood. If you're going to use the reel for moderate heavy to heavy resistance type baits, I'd skip the Mago. The frame tends to flex due it's Zaion material construction. Doesn't hurt anything, just annoying. I, as many others, feel the T3 is best suited for power finesse presentations. It can accommodate a Zpi Nrc001-m or G1 1012SV spool, which are both absolutely fantastic in this platform. The Mago was designed for big baits with its 100mm handle and beefed up internals, but again, it's made of plastic.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need reel suggestion

Post by Salty Parrot » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am

Anyone else handle these two reels?