SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by abbor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm

I currently have an Alphas Air which I'm using for light lures. Most of the time I'm using it with a Major Craft Corzza 652UL BF, I also have a Megabass Pagani AIR BAMBOO F0-61PB Rosso Elese which I'm using for light tackle. I'm using 0.20mm mono. I'm looking for a reel which is better for casting 1.5-2g Mepps, Droppen and similar spinners than the Alphas Air. Should I get SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS? And why? The prices for both reels are now almost identical.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Craigthor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Any reason not to consider the Air Stream Custom.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:55 pm

abbor wrote:I currently have an Alphas Air which I'm using for light lures. Most of the time I'm using it with a Major Craft Corzza 652UL BF, I also have a Megabass Pagani AIR BAMBOO F0-61PB Rosso Elese which I'm using for light tackle. I'm using 0.20mm mono. I'm looking for a reel which is better for casting 1.5-2g Mepps, Droppen and similar spinners than the Alphas Air. Should I get SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS? And why? The prices for both reels are now almost identical.
If casting in stream settings with brush and short casts, the Air Stream Custom is a worthy contender.

The SS AIR and 16 Aldebaran BFS are in the "same class". I find the Aldebaran to be a tad more capable than the SS AIR in a vacuum. If you get either headwind or crosswinds, the SS AIR I feel is better.

A pro for the Aldebaran is that there are aftermarket spools available.

I have and use both (or all three including the ASC) and I like them all. Shouldnt lose sleep over choosing any of the reels mentioned.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
abbor wrote:I currently have an Alphas Air which I'm using for light lures. Most of the time I'm using it with a Major Craft Corzza 652UL BF, I also have a Megabass Pagani AIR BAMBOO F0-61PB Rosso Elese which I'm using for light tackle. I'm using 0.20mm mono. I'm looking for a reel which is better for casting 1.5-2g Mepps, Droppen and similar spinners than the Alphas Air. Should I get SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS? And why? The prices for both reels are now almost identical.
If casting in stream settings with brush and short casts, the Air Stream Custom is a worthy contender.

The SS AIR and 16 Aldebaran BFS are in the "same class". I find the Aldebaran to be a tad more capable than the SS AIR in a vacuum. If you get either headwind or crosswinds, the SS AIR I feel is better.

I have and use both (or all three including the ASC) and I like them all. Shouldnt lose sleep over choosing any of the reels mentioned.
Wonder if there is no option for the SS Air as KTF makes the spool for Daiwa on that one?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Wonder if there is no option for the SS Air as KTF makes the spool for Daiwa on that one?
Its a unique sized spool. All the "AIR" reels and the SV Light only share that spool size. The SV Light has a wicked good spool.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:36 pm

For short casts Alphas Air is doing a good job, it's when I'm trying to get max lenght with the very light spinners I sometimes get into problems. I mostly fish from shore on a small lake up in the mountains where it's often some wind so maybe SS Air is the best alternative then.

I sometimes have problems with the Alphas Air, the 0.20 mono is getting trapped between the spool and the frame. This is not happening when using the same line on Steez SV 6.3R and T3 SV, how is SS Air in this respect?

I have no experience with smaller Shimano baitcasters, only larger Shimano reels like Conquest 200DC and 400 sized Conquest and Calcuttas. How is the feeling when reeling small Shimano baitcasters compared to Daiwa? I have the Daiwa reeels mentioned in this thread and I've had a SS SV which I sold because I think it's over braked.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:05 pm

abbor wrote:For short casts Alphas Air is doing a good job, it's when I'm trying to get max lenght with the very light spinners I sometimes get into problems. I mostly fish from shore on a small lake up in the mountains where it's often some wind so maybe SS Air is the best alternative then.

I sometimes have problems with the Alphas Air, the 0.20 mono is getting trapped between the spool and the frame. This is not happening when using the same line on Steez SV 6.3R and T3 SV, how is SS Air in this respect?

I have no experience with smaller Shimano baitcasters, only larger Shimano reels like Conquest 200DC and 400 sized Conquest and Calcuttas. How is the feeling when reeling small Shimano baitcasters compared to Daiwa? I have the Daiwa reeels mentioned in this thread and I've had a SS SV which I sold because I think it's over braked.
I always liked the anti-reverse better in Daiwa reels. Seems like Shimano usually has a slight "play" in the handle, like forward and backward rotating.

As far as casting, the SS AIR is going act similar to the Alphas AIR, with a slight increase in performance. The Aldebaran will be about the same. It comes down to preference really. Even some upgraded centrifugal braked reels can be in the same class. People have preferences for different things. They will all get the job done.

Personally, I feel inline spinners cast like a bullet and the wind doesnt bully them around as much as a jig or something like that. The Aldebaran seems more appealing. Youbthen have the option to get an aftermarket spool and do even more. Having /carrying a different line/spool can be beneficial. I got 2 spares for my 1016 Daiwa reels, 1 braid and one FC.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:09 pm

How will Steez CT SV TW compare to SS Air and 16 Aldebaran BFS?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:45 pm

abbor wrote:How will Steez CT SV TW compare to SS Air and 16 Aldebaran BFS?
Im guessing it wont be as capable on the low end but, overall more versatile.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I am speculating here, but I think it will have very similar performance to the SV Light Ltd. and maybe even slightly better due to the Steez spool only being 30mm O.D.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for all the feedback :)

I've ordered a 16 Aldebaran BFS 6.5R from Japan Angler.

I have Alphas Air which I can use if it's windy, and when it's windy I will most probably use 3-4g or heavier lures and then my Steez SV 6.3R with Hedgehog Air bearings will also do a great job.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
I am speculating here, but I think it will have very similar performance to the SV Light Ltd. and maybe even slightly better due to the Steez spool only being 30mm O.D.
Yeah, but the spool is deeper, too. And do we have a weight yet? I am very curious about these CT reels, but I gotta say I'm pretty skeptical. It seems like an odd direction for them to go.
This is the way.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:07 am

How are the stock 16 Aldebaran BFS spool bearings? Are they good or should I get Hedgehog Kattobi Air BFS?

I have Air and Air BFS in my three Daiwa baitcasters.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:40 am

abbor wrote:How are the stock 16 Aldebaran BFS spool bearings? Are they good or should I get Hedgehog Kattobi Air BFS?

The BFS bearings are very small, I don't think you will get any added performance

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Edward78 wrote:
abbor wrote:How are the stock 16 Aldebaran BFS spool bearings? Are they good or should I get Hedgehog Kattobi Air BFS?

The BFS bearings are very small, I don't think you will get any added performance
They don't make HH BFS bearings fornthe 16 Aldebaran BFS