'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by timinmo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Well the news is that US retailers or not doing any price gouging. You can buy the reel from one of the Japan dealers for less than the US dealers are paying. I don't understand Daiwa's pricing policy and they certainly don't have to explain it to me but right now US dealers would be better off buying from overseas to resell in the US.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi guys,
does anybody have the chance to weigh the spool (preferably spooled with 10 pound Fluro)? I want to compare it to my MGExtreme2's to see which would work better for 1/8oz lures.

Thanks! :)

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Dunno with fluoro, but it's 13,4g with 150m 13lb J-braid (0.10mm) and some backing mono.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:03 am

freelancer27 wrote:Hi guys,
does anybody have the chance to weigh the spool (preferably spooled with 10 pound Fluro)? I want to compare it to my MGExtreme2's to see which would work better for 1/8oz lures.

Thanks! :)
17.98g when full with 10lb red label...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 am

Thats an apples to oranges comparison. Centri-braking profiles and mag-braking profiles are completely different, even with the same line. The weight of a full spool will affect both, but the comparison soley on weight wont give you an accurate snapshot of overall performance with any specific weight.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Thats an apples to oranges comparison. Centri-braking profiles and mag-braking profiles are completely different, even with the same line. The weight of a full spool will affect both, but the comparison soley on weight wont give you an accurate snapshot of overall performance with any specific weight.
I know. But not much else I can go with right now. Unless somebody has both and can give some feedback ;)

airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm
My LH 8 arrived this afternoon so I strapped it on a Megabass X7 Super Eiger and spooled up with some lighter line and fished it with a 1/16 oz. jighead and a panfish plastic. I caught a bunch of decent gills and enjoyed the palming profile of the reel immensely. I think without any special tuning, and a rod more capable of this type of finesse presentation, this iteration of the Steez will prove to be VERY finesse capable right out of the box. I'll fish it on a bunch of different rods in different situations to learn it well, but out of the box, it's finesse capabilities are impressive, and it's small frame and light weight stature are a joy as well. I'll be putting in time with this one, my first of more than one I can already tell... we have them all in stock guys :D

do you think if i put 7 lb or 8 lb test fluoro on it i can get away with casting 1/8oz drop shots on a BFS setup?
Last edited by airtreeswateranimals on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

airtreeswateranimals wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am
do you think if i put 7 lb or 8 lb test fluoro on it i can get away with casting 1/8oz drop shots on a BFS setup?
Should be no problem, I cast 1/8oz jerkbaits with mine on 10lb flouro.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 am

airtreeswateranimals wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:13 am
Absolutely no problem at all.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

There has been a lot of talk about how the Steez CT performs.

The insides overall are pretty much the same as the Steez SV TW. Biggest change would be with the main gear. It has ridges in the inner rim of the main gear that a spring loaded pin rubs on to create the buzz sound when the drag pulls out line.

The reel is also held together with hex (Allen) bolts. I feel it is an improvement and should last longer than the traditional Phillips or Standard head bolts.

I have been taking notes along the way and will he doing a full write up on the forum after I get into some fish with it. Until then, a small video series will have to do.

Video of the internals:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Looks like even my German countrymen are excited about this reel! And that has to say something when a super critical German gets that excited! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgqX2qQX_PY&t=560s

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm
My LH 8 arrived this afternoon so I strapped it on a Megabass X7 Super Eiger and spooled up with some lighter line and fished it with a 1/16 oz. jighead and a panfish plastic. I caught a bunch of decent gills and enjoyed the palming profile of the reel immensely. I think without any special tuning, and a rod more capable of this type of finesse presentation, this iteration of the Steez will prove to be VERY finesse capable right out of the box. I'll fish it on a bunch of different rods in different situations to learn it well, but out of the box, it's finesse capabilities are impressive, and it's small frame and light weight stature are a joy as well. I'll be putting in time with this one, my first of more than one I can already tell... we have them all in stock guys :D

This Steez CT it appears to me is made for the Steez Harrier Finesse model 7011MMLXB-SV. 1/16-1/2 oz rated.
It’s a compile x blank and is way overdue to come to USA. Daiwa-Australia just began to import to their shores and this is a perfect time for Daiwa to bring it to USA when they introduce its mate (Steez CT-SV) at ICAST .

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am

The insides overall are pretty much the same as the Steez SV TW. Biggest change would be with the main gear. It has ridges in the inner rim of the main gear that a spring loaded pin rubs on to create the buzz sound when the drag pulls out line.

The reel is also held together with hex (Allen) bolts. I feel it is an improvement and should last longer than the traditional Phillips or Standard head bolts.

I have been taking notes along the way and will he doing a full write up on the forum after I get into some fish with it. Until then, a small video series will have to do.

Video of the internals:
Solid vid. One thing of note...I work /w small hex heads on a daily basis. I like the concept Daiwa went with here but longevity is on the side of the traditional phillips/flat head screw. I don't know the material Daiwa used for these bolts, but it is imperative to use a hex tool like wera/wiha if dealing /w these often. They are beyond easy to strip and once you strip them, there's no coming back. Phillips/flat you can salvage. Did they put blue loc-tite on the frame screws like they've been doing lately?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Video of the internals:
Solid vid. One thing of note...I work /w small hex heads on a daily basis. I like the concept Daiwa went with here but longevity is on the side of the traditional phillips/flat head screw. I don't know the material Daiwa used for these bolts, but it is imperative to use a hex tool like wera/wiha if dealing /w these often. They are beyond easy to strip and once you strip them, there's no coming back. Phillips/flat you can salvage. Did they put blue loc-tite on the frame screws like they've been doing lately?
I dont remember seeing loc tight on it
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 am

iabass8 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Even better than Wiha/Wera are the RC hobby grade drivers that are machined from drill blank.