ZPI Reel?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI Reel?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:02 am

SSS wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Based upon previous quality of ZPI products, I would give their reels a shot.
Their previous products were custom made in Japan. This is not that.
Still made by Asians, does that count? :lol:
<")))><{

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
SSS wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Based upon previous quality of ZPI products, I would give their reels a shot.
Not according to most. People smug over "Made in Thailand" Daiwa reels.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
SSS wrote:
Not according to most. People smug over "Made in Thailand" Daiwa reels.
Meh, at least its still Daiwa made. Its a step in the right direction. :lol:
<")))><{

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Thailand for $150 is fine. China or Taiwan for $500 or whatever they'll be charging for these is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT fine. Far from fine. So far.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 am

I’m going to wait and see the final specs and appearance of the reels before passing judgment. That said, my first impression on these is not great :(

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:50 pm

Features:
Smart System Hook
Smart System Line

Sounds like a Lews..

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:25 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:Features:
Smart System Hook
Smart System Line

Sounds like a Lews..
Exactly. Seen that IG post too.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:57 am

I think people would have rather I been correct and they are ACTUALLY producing their own reel and it is close to $1000 each. Then they would be at least standing with their quality like other products. I do think the other early post stating about capital is correct though. They are just trying to get bigger and will probably sell a decent amount more of these than if producing a one off $1000 super crafted reel. Maybe they will get into more precise produced reels after growing a few years...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I think people would have rather I been correct and they are ACTUALLY producing their own reel and it is close to $1000 each. Then they would be at least standing with their quality like other products. I do think the other early post stating about capital is correct though. They are just trying to get bigger and will probably sell a decent amount more of these than if producing a one off $1000 super crafted reel. Maybe they will get into more precise produced reels after growing a few years...
Yeah. Its a good way to make money and spread the brand.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I think people would have rather I been correct and they are ACTUALLY producing their own reel and it is close to $1000 each. Then they would be at least standing with their quality like other products. I do think the other early post stating about capital is correct though. They are just trying to get bigger and will probably sell a decent amount more of these than if producing a one off $1000 super crafted reel. Maybe they will get into more precise produced reels after growing a few years...
I personally think they could have gotten away with a "megabass-ish" pricing for something of their own. Yes, for them to start tooling themselves would be a bigger "startup" cost, but to me, a label like ZPi should not be having a OEM company making reels for them. Now, that being said, at least they went with Doyo as the manufacturer. I personally think that if I was going to have a OEM reel, it would be something like a Lews, as I think Lews are pretty good for the money. (at least what they can be purchased for, not MSRP)
<")))><{

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I would rather they just went with full ZPI tuned Revos or something.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:24 am

LowRange wrote:I would rather they just went with full ZPI tuned Revos or something.
But Korean ain't hip. You know Doyo or Banax just ain't where it's at.
On the serious side of the ledger, the stuff is building interest.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:46 am

Sounds like Zpi is no longer distributing custom parts after 2018. The company is now going for the finished product in an attempt to market a wider customer base. So I guess my conclusion regarding this reel was accurate. I'm sure there will more reels released as well. So get your parts where you can, while you can. This likely includes bearings as well.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Sounds like Zpi is no longer distributing custom parts after 2018. The company is now going for the finished product in an attempt to market a wider customer base. So I guess my conclusion regarding this reel was accurate. I'm sure there will more reels released as well. So get your parts where you can, while you can. This likely includes bearings as well.
I wonder if that goes for oil and grease too?
<")))><{

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Sounds like Zpi is no longer distributing custom parts after 2018. The company is now going for the finished product in an attempt to market a wider customer base. So I guess my conclusion regarding this reel was accurate. I'm sure there will more reels released as well. So get your parts where you can, while you can. This likely includes bearings as well.
I saw that release this morning. I was taken back a bit, ZPI was the first that broke into the American market with quality and price.