ZPI M or 1012 g1

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI M or 1012 g1

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Goldrod, Let me know how it works in that IS platform, that is one of my options.

What size line do you plan on using and what are your intended weight ranges for casting with the spool?
I received the ZPI M spool from the TackleTrap. I had waited until now to buy one and have read as much as possible on them.
I put mine in a IS73 and spooled it with 10lb suffix mono paired with a GEN1 cumara, 3.5 Lake fork live magic shad nose hooked with a laser Tokar wacky weedless wide gap hook. Casted it like a dream but to me the spool screamed to be free. It is fast but not uncontrollable, yet it wants you to loosen the cc. So I did and I was one handing casting getting the distance that I was getting with other setups using two hands. I was semi impressed and took it to my worst casting location. Its one where you are on one side of the bushes casting around it to another bush. THIS is when the light turned on for me. I was able to one hand cast and get distance with no backlash, zero, nada zilch and was accurate. I don't know how light that is but its plenty light enough for me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:17 pm

I may just get the PG spool for comparison but that will have to wait til after Christmas.
I still have not brought anyone a gift other than my son whose now in Kuwait.. Please as you celebrate with your families this Christmas, send a pray up fo him. I am praying for his safe return. My real fishing partner.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:01 am

poisonokie wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I've done extensive testing with both spools. Why? Because they're my two favorite spools haha. Semi shallow spools are pretty much all I roll with these days. For older platforms such as the OG Steez, I use the Steez SV105 spools. Anyways -
G1 1012SV - While it offers a somewhat stronger braking profile which indeed equates to better control, as with most non modded SV spools, it can lack consistency.
Zpi - Fixed rotor, incredible consistency, enough added distance to consider it worthwhile in that regard. Not wild at all in the platforms it was made for. The perfect blend of everything, making it my spool of choice.
I'd rate the G1 a an 8.5, and the Zpi a 9.75. Again, this is all based on my preferences, according to what and how I fish. YMMV
Man, I love this site. I also love that SLP Steez SV105 spool. I don't have a whole lot of time with it, but it's the perfect balance of control and distance.
I run one in my SV103XS. Man that spool is just sick. Distance and control. Its like a match made in heaven.
<")))><{

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:05 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I've done extensive testing with both spools. Why? Because they're my two favorite spools haha. Semi shallow spools are pretty much all I roll with these days. For older platforms such as the OG Steez, I use the Steez SV105 spools. Anyways -
G1 1012SV - While it offers a somewhat stronger braking profile which indeed equates to better control, as with most non modded SV spools, it can lack consistency.
Zpi - Fixed rotor, incredible consistency, enough added distance to consider it worthwhile in that regard. Not wild at all in the platforms it was made for. The perfect blend of everything, making it my spool of choice.
I'd rate the G1 a an 8.5, and the Zpi a 9.75. Again, this is all based on my preferences, according to what and how I fish. YMMV
Man, I love this site. I also love that SLP Steez SV105 spool. I don't have a whole lot of time with it, but it's the perfect balance of control and distance.
I run one in my SV103XS. Man that spool is just sick. Distance and control. Its like a match made in heaven.

Just to be clear which spool are you referring to?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 am

goldrod wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

Just to be clear which spool are you referring to?
Oh, sorry, I meant the Steez SV105 spool. :lol:
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 am

Yes, so far I've only used it with 15# braid and I love it for that.
This is the way.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 am

Comparing the ZPI M to the PG the PG is more a standard spool best for 1/4 oz and up. Great casting distance and spool control. The M spool feels like more of a semi-finesse spool. If you use light line it works great as a finesse spool. With regular line it feels best to me casting in the 3/8 oz and below range. When casting it is a fast spool but doesn't easily overun. It casts heavier baits with great distance and ease but they feel as though they over power the spool a bit and I lose a little accuracy and control compared to the PG spool. For 3/8 and above I prefer the PG and for below 3/8 oz the M.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 pm

hungry_cow wrote:Comparing the ZPI M to the PG the PG is more a standard spool best for 1/4 oz and up. Great casting distance and spool control. The M spool feels like more of a semi-finesse spool. If you use light line it works great as a finesse spool. With regular line it feels best to me casting in the 3/8 oz and below range. When casting it is a fast spool but doesn't easily overun. It casts heavier baits with great distance and ease but they feel as though they over power the spool a bit and I lose a little accuracy and control compared to the PG spool. For 3/8 and above I prefer the PG and for below 3/8 oz the M.
As noted further up this thread, I found the M spool to be great with 30 lb braid when throwing 1/4 - 3/4 oz lures. I would not regard it is a finesse-only spool by any means considering that it holds 130m of 0.28mm braid.