Mail Call

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Mail Call

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:14 pm

I would be really interested in seeing recent purchases of enthusiast and import tackle that other member procure. Maybe talk a little about the favorite items you recieved in you recent shipment, or share some source that you are able to find a gem or two. No rods and reel, save it for show and tell.
I will start it out..
rsz_2mail_call.jpg
rsz_2mail_call.jpg (260.39 KiB) Viewed 8170 times

Recieved a batch of TN50's to try out on a new M rated rod, favorite one is just to the left of the Tatsu. Stocked up on one of my favorite and productive baits, the Dark Sleeper. Found a Jackall Chubby 40 to really put the Oltre M to the test. I think it weights 4.5 grams but should be a good caster because of it's profile and density. I am probobly the only person who LOVES the red Fat Impact. Have slayed them from Clear lakes in Utah to Muddy FL waterways, to inland flats targeting redfish.
And my most exciting purchase. The AVANI Casting PE SMP in stealth grey. 50# max test, 8lb equivilent, .285. Built for tuna and GT, I am using it on my Red Galaxy. Super impressed with the all of the characaristics of this line so far!
New shipments arrive weekly.

Let's see what you get!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Mail Call

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Nice haul, I've got to try those Dark Sleepers.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm going to grab a MB Dark Sleeper or 4 next Tacklewarehouse order... The 1/4oz is about the only size that seems right for me on the river, are they more of a finesse lure or what??? I know the weights are listed, but is this more like a Medium rod 10-15lb fluoro lure or a MH rod 15+ fluoro lure? Thanks, great mail call.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:28 am

Ive fished the dark sleeper all over the place. I actually like the 3.8 inch 3/4 oz the best, it has a nice rate of fall and you can fish it in 5ft. of water or 30 ft. of water. I use a MH rod for ones over 1/2 oz and a M for anything less. I've watched bass take these off of beds when I can't get them to touch anything else. I've caught largmouth, small mouth, stripers, redfish and even caught a small snook on one about a month ago. They are super fun to fish, you can cast them a mile and use many different retrieve methods depending on the environment. Speaking of rivers, I did great on smallmouth bass a couple months ago fishing the Colorado River in N. AZ., think I was using a 3 inch 3/8th oz that day and there was a bit of a current.
Oh, you want to skip a dock, you can get an easy 20ft skip out of these with a spinning rod.

Good luck!

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:03 am

Aquaftm45

Varivas Avani SMP, how similar this line to Varivas MaxPower PE?
I looked the price for that line, OMG, ~$70 for 200m spool.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 am

Bought some line YGK, JDM chatterbaits - O.S.P., Jackall, Imakatsu, Daiwa, FishArrow, some finesse Jackall plastic worms, OSP buzzbait, etc
Everything was ordered at bass.jp

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am

Really cool stuff. I wonder sometimes why Japan has so much more fishing it seems, especially for not being a huge country in literal size. I have always figured that hear in America there are many more outdoor sports (hunting mainly, with more kinds of fishing, shooting targets, etc.) so Japan focuses more and deeper on fishing, primarily predator related cast to catch fishing.

I wanna try a "Steez" chatterbait!!! The Flick Shake 2.8 and 3.8 would be perfect for how I fish sometimes.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Cracker wrote:Aquaftm45

Varivas Avani SMP, how similar this line to Varivas MaxPower PE?
I looked the price for that line, OMG, ~$70 for 200m spool.
That is an IMPRESSIVE mail call Cracker. =D>

To answer your question between Super Max Power and Max Power, I have no clue. One is "Super" and the other is not!

Varivas makes a wide variety of Max Power lines. This seems to be the most "white bread" version.
max power.jpg
max power.jpg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
http://www.varivas.co.jp/en/Product/sea ... :2/id:1833

I only found one SMP, and it is designated for GT and Tuna (which I always ignore) Just like "magseal" is designated for saltwater

http://japantackle.com/lines/pe-braid-s ... e-smp.html

As you see, I bought the last #50 that they had, it's actually 330 yards for $70. I'm only spooling 80 yards per spool, so I should get 4 spools out of it. If I really like it, I'll get the #70 and put 200 yards on my Certate 3500HD and 100 yards on my Daiwa Battler
When we are talking #50, it's #50 max and only .285mm. #70 is .330mm
I put the #50 up agains #40 maxquatro and it was no contest, they are both the same daimeter.
I'll put .285mm on an SV style spool all day long

Even Jun from JPT likes it
"Jun's comment: Varivas has been the choice for enthusiastic anglers. And this Casting PE Super Max Power x8 is surely the choice for anglers pursuing the best reliable tackle for GT and tuna fishing. Compared to its rival YGK Ultra Castman WX8 Full Drag, Varivas has a little softer line body. These two lines are the top in market for tensile strength and smoothness."

Again, very impressed with your Japan haul. Don't be surpised to see some copy cat purchases in my mail call the next few weeks.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Those body shot weights don't look right, they made me laugh when I saw the shape of them.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 pm

spencerinstl wrote:Those body shot weights don't look right, they made me laugh when I saw the shape of them.
:lol:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:23 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Those body shot weights don't look right, they made me laugh when I saw the shape of them.
:lol:
Looks like a set of neck nuts. Might be a good balancer for a for a wobbly weedless swimbait.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:02 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
To answer your question between Super Max Power and Max Power, I have no clue. One is "Super" and the other is not!

Varivas makes a wide variety of Max Power lines. This seems to be the most "white bread" version.

The line I actually mentioned is Varivas Seabass Max Power, it has silky finish and grayish color, has a similar look as SMP.
Been using this line for years and love it.

Varivas, also makes a line called GT, smallest size 85lb

Want to try a SuperSensitive one day

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:00 pm

I like this topic just shows the additction of our madness

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Thread is valid to my interests :big grin:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Received a small order from JP Angler. I really like this shop, ships quick has a nice variety of items I am interested in, and packs with Japanese Newspaper! Placed an order at PS K the same day, and I just received a shipment notification today. At least he tells you up front that he takes forever...
Goodies...continue to fill my jerkbait box with various X-whatever. Picked up a Vision 95 Auto Roller, a X-70, and a couple of my favorites the X-80 jr. Some sweet looking tungsten nail weights to jam into my Dot Crawlers, and also some knot guards to try out covering my "Swindle Double Shindo Over-The-Creek, Beside-The-Barn Foothole Knot" which has 3 algae grabbing tag ends. If you never seen the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76O_M5TDXWw
The only big disappointment of the bunch. The 2 MB reel covers, what the heck..these things must have been made to fit Shrapnel's. Big and ill fitting. Going to have to dump these somewhere.
rsz_img_1604.jpg
rsz_img_1604.jpg (298.33 KiB) Viewed 7812 times