So...I did a thing...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

So...I did a thing...

Post by TahoeDust » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 pm

I finally broke. I just had to have it.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/4654

Now, the question is, what rod to pair it with. Looking for something for well rounded light stuff. Small cranks and weightless worms? Conquest 842C?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: So...I did a thing...

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on one when Japan Tackle had them on sale earlier this year. I was thinking about a Phenix K2 Torzite Casting Rod 7'1" Med Lt for it.

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on one when Japan Tackle had them on sale earlier this year. I was thinking about a Phenix K2 Torzite Casting Rod 7'1" Med Lt for it.
I am a Loomis guy so that is where I usually look first. I have been curious about the Phenix K2. Have you fished one before? How does it compare to a NRX? I paid ~$395. What did Japan Tackle have them forsale for?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:24 pm

TahoeDust wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:I almost pulled the trigger on one when Japan Tackle had them on sale earlier this year. I was thinking about a Phenix K2 Torzite Casting Rod 7'1" Med Lt for it.
I am a Loomis guy so that is where I usually look first. I have been curious about the Phenix K2. Have you fished one before? How does it compare to a NRX? I paid ~$395. What did Japan Tackle have them forsale for?
If never fished a rod from Phenix before. The soft fast action I've read about seemed like a great match for protecting lighter line, and for casting different types of baits.

They were $368 I believe.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 pm

I just randomly asked this on a Phenix rod review, how do their ML and Light action casting rods fish??? They make some mid range priced rods too and even one hundred dollar rod rated for lighter stuff. I just had to ask when I saw this because some companies lighter rods fish a little too moderate for me.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:13 am

Congrats. Great reel. I recently got a KTF spool for the Conquest BFS and Hedgehog/Avail have two spools for the reel as well. In contrast to other Shimano reels, it is just plug and play with these spools. Great fun.

As for which rod to use - I use the discontinued St Croix Gulf Coast rods, Major Craft rods (e.g. N-one BF and trout rods). All rods are great - just depends on the lures I use. Prefer the softer rods for treble-hook lures. I love my Loomis rods but have yet to find great Loomis casting rods for serious BFS (1/8 oz and below)...the Conquest 842C is rated for 1/4-5/8 rods. It is quite possibly a fantastic rod but IMO the Conquest BFS truly shines below 1/4 oz lures. Same goes for the Loomis CR721 which I have used with the Conquest BFS - very nice rod just too “heavy” and fast action for my pursuits.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:31 am

The utralight ugly stick 7' foot medium light is inexpensive but very durable and will handle 1/8 ounce baits. It provides fly rod like action if you hook Mr Big Stuff....lol

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:32 am

I put mine on a Tenyru Rayz 5'6" that I purchased from finesse-fishing.com, fantastic small stream combo.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:21 am

There's a post below that might be relevant to your interests :lol: Black Themis anyone?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 am

I picked up a BFS Conquest a couple weeks ago and have it on a 1st Generation Edge Black Widow 6101. I used it for the first time this past weekend but only got one 13" fish with. I don't think I have enough time on the water yet to give an opinion of it yet...

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Does anyone have a complete list of the bearing sizes in this reel?

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Talked to the shop I normally order my Loomis stuff from and they said they could get me either of the Conquest rods for $450. I am going to order the 842c MBR.

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Ordered the Conquest 842C MBR for the reel...I hope it is a good pairing.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm

TahoeDust wrote:Ordered the Conquest 842C MBR for the reel...I hope it is a good pairing.
That'll make a very good pairing with the Conquest BFS. Congrats!

The K2 TX-713C discussed above is also a good match and actually better than the Edge Rod discussed above (and pictured below). I have all three sticks. The Conquest 842C MBR will give you just a tad more versatility because it's a step up in power over the K2 TX-713C.

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Well...the rod arrived, but I had to settle for some balcony fishing. The conquest rod is shockingly light and the BFS breaking system is incredibly linear. I can't wait to get on the water and see how it actually fishes...