Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by poisonokie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:06 pm

Aaaannnd I ordered one... :doh:
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:18 pm

poisonokie wrote:Aaaannnd I ordered one... :doh:
=D>

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:15 am

Yeah, a 2 hr turnaround time from zero to ordered is a record for me. I'm more excited about this reel than any other I think, and I Just. Ordered. an SV Light LTD-TN a few days ago! What is wrong with me?? It's easy to blow money this time of year.

Anyway, can anyone offer insight as to line choice? The reel is going on a Volkey 68L/bfs (4-12#, 1/16-1/4.) I noticed Daiwa suggests 1) not using braid, and 2) not using line lighter than 6# to prevent spool deformation. I planned on using 6# Invizx, so that should be fine, but I considered 4# for just so I can get a little more on there. I'd really hate to wreck the spool, though. I mean, I smart about my drag settings, so I figure I can get away with about anything, but I've never used a honeycombed spool before.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:35 am

My guess is that Daiwa is playing it safe with “no braid”. I have only used 10lb braid on mine and I have had zero issues. I have used the reel on many outings and caught perhaps 20-30 fish from 45 to 65 cm (3 kg max). I am pretty sure that I have been stuck in trees, grass, rocks etc, and while I generally take good care of my stuff then I often pull a bit with my reel (thumb on spool) to get my lures free. Up to a certain point at least. Still works like a charm.
Since the spool is so shallow, there is a limit to how a thick and strong a line you can put on. You will be fine with whatever you decide IMO.

I have used many honeycomb spools (20 perhaps), most of them with braid, and I have not damaged any of them.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am

Daiwa reccomends no braid on the SS Air, also, but that's all I've ever used on mine. i have used 15# PP SS8, but I currently have Sufix 832 in 8# test. Its on a custom UL Immortal rod and I use it exclusively for tiny cranks with light drag settings. I have had no issues with it, evn though I have succesfully landed 5-6# bass (and an 8# channel cat).
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 am

Dalleinf wrote:My guess is that Daiwa is playing it safe with “no braid”. I have only used 10lb braid on mine and I have had zero issues. I have used the reel on many outings and caught perhaps 20-30 fish from 45 to 65 cm (3 kg max). I am pretty sure that I have been stuck in trees, grass, rocks etc, and while I generally take good care of my stuff then I often pull a bit with my reel (thumb on spool) to get my lures free. Up to a certain point at least. Still works like a charm.
Since the spool is so shallow, there is a limit to how a thick and strong a line you can put on. You will be fine with whatever you decide IMO.

I have used many honeycomb spools (20 perhaps), most of them with braid, and I have not damaged any of them.
Thanks, guys. I figured as much. I found a site comparing various bfs reels with really complete information on their specs. For the Stream it says the capacity is 44 yds of 6#, which is plenty, and that the recommended line is 6-8#. Still, with 4# I figure I can get a little over 50 yds and have that cushion for having low drag settings combined with the possibility of hooking up with something capable of pulling drag at the end of a long cast. So what's the deal with their saying you shouldn't go too light with fluoro? Does the stretch put too much strain on the spool or something? That's why I don't see why there's a problem with braid, provided you use the right drag pressure, since it really doesn't stretch at all.

As for braid, how much backing can you possibly use? I don't think I'll go that route, but maybe some 8-10# would be good. Any time I spool up with braid, I back it with enough mono to line the width of the spool. I never knew if that was necessary, it just seemed the right thing to do. That hardly seems possible on this spool, so can you get away with say one wrap right in the groove and then fill it with braid from there?

Thanks for the feedback. I just want to get it right without learning the hard way.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am

I have used 5ish wraps of thin white teflon/pfte tape as “backing” for some time. Thank you to folks on this site eg zodiak311 for this tip. Prevents braid slippage and also water in entering the reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:11 am

poisonokie wrote:Yeah, a 2 hr turnaround time from zero to ordered is a record for me. I'm more excited about this reel than any other I think, and I Just. Ordered. an SV Light LTD-TN a few days ago! What is wrong with me?? It's easy to blow money this time of year.

Anyway, can anyone offer insight as to line choice? The reel is going on a Volkey 68L/bfs (4-12#, 1/16-1/4.) I noticed Daiwa suggests 1) not using braid, and 2) not using line lighter than 6# to prevent spool deformation. I planned on using 6# Invizx, so that should be fine, but I considered 4# for just so I can get a little more on there. I'd really hate to wreck the spool, though. I mean, I smart about my drag settings, so I figure I can get away with about anything, but I've never used a honeycombed spool before.
I don't have this reel but the low capacity and fixed inductor would indicate that it would be a better fit to an UL rod or even the "UL" Vokley. When I ran my Zonda BFS spool in my 68L Volkey I found that I was constantly casting all the line off the spool throwing the kinds of baits the 68L likes to throw. Even the Ray's spools would cast most of the line off the spool throwing a ned rig on the 68l Volkey.

You might be in the market for another rod to go with your new reel. :big grin:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:24 am

On my SS Air, I tie through 2 holes that are right next to each other. At first, I was concerned that the line might get cut by the spool itself, but after over 1 yr of use and dozens of fish(including some bigger fish that took a good bit of line against the drag), nothing like that has happened.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Yeah, a 2 hr turnaround time from zero to ordered is a record for me. I'm more excited about this reel than any other I think, and I Just. Ordered. an SV Light LTD-TN a few days ago! What is wrong with me?? It's easy to blow money this time of year.

I don't have this reel but the low capacity and fixed inductor would indicate that it would be a better fit to an UL rod or even the "UL" Vokley. When I ran my Zonda BFS spool in my 68L Volkey I found that I was constantly casting all the line off the spool throwing the kinds of baits the 68L likes to throw. Even the Ray's spools would cast most of the line off the spool throwing a ned rig on the 68l Volkey.

Yeah, that's what I'm wrestling with. I could've got a standard Alphas Air for less, but passing on the Stream Custom would've nagged me to no end.

See, I want a stick with backbone and I'm hoping this reel will open up the lower range of it's casting ability and give me the best of both worlds. It's rated down to 4#, but that's pushing it. Even with 6#, which would be perfect for me, I don't think I'll spool it too often, but like you said I probably will with certain baits.

This YouTube video seems to illustrate precisely the situation I want to avoid. https://youtu.be/p5nvPQu0Kvc
I'm sure someone will say I could just go with spinning and to that person I preemptively say, "Delete your account."
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:On my SS Air, I tie through 2 holes that are right next to each other. At first, I was concerned that the line might get cut by the spool itself, but after over 1 yr of use and dozens of fish(including some bigger fish that took a good bit of line against the drag), nothing like that has happened.
I've never done that just because it freaks me out. I believe you, though. I'll consider it just to have one less knot on the spool.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:06 pm

poisonokie wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm wrestling with. I could've got a standard Alphas Air for less, but passing on the Stream Custom would've nagged me to no end.

See, I want a stick with backbone and I'm hoping this reel will open up the lower range of it's casting ability and give me the best of both worlds. It's rated down to 4#, but that's pushing it. Even with 6#, which would be perfect for me, I don't think I'll spool it too often, but like you said I probably will with certain baits.

This YouTube video seems to illustrate precisely the situation I want to avoid. https://youtu.be/p5nvPQu0Kvc
I'm sure someone will say I could just go with spinning and to that person I preemptively say, "Delete your account."
Do you have the 65UL Volkey? I found that if wanted to go lighter than the 68L Volkey and still have a lot of backbone then the 65UL was ideal. Works well with a fixed inductor BFS reel too.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Lol, I was just about to either dig up or start a new post to go into this.

No. I was just looking for one, though. The only one I see available now is $215. I got mine when they were $150, but still, it's tempting. There's a Speed Style for $218. What about the Benkei line? Are they a considerable step down? I hope the 68L will do what I'm wanting, but now I will have a reel or four which needs a new home, whether on a suitable rod or in the hands of someone else.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 pm

poisonokie wrote: What about the Benkei line?
I picked up a Benkei a few months ago, the BIC-672L/BF model. I got it used for a great price and wanted to give it a try. It is significantly lighter and a good bit slower then a XXX Black Themis and a little bit lighter and a little bit faster than a Phenix C682L. I have not had it out very often and only fished tiny flickshake worms on it, so I don't have a good idea of it's sensitivity yet, but it casts well and has a good enough backbone that I feel like I could move a decent sized bass away from cover if I pick my casts with that in mind. It's faster than I expected it to be and I think it will be fun for small hairjigs and tiny plastics for river fishing.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 pm

poisonokie wrote:Lol, I was just about to either dig up or start a new post to go into this.

No. I was just looking for one, though. The only one I see available now is $215. I got mine when they were $150, but still, it's tempting. There's a Speed Style for $218. What about the Benkei line? Are they a considerable step down? I hope the 68L will do what I'm wanting, but now I will have a reel or four which needs a new home, whether on a suitable rod or in the hands of someone else.
If you're after th 65UL then I think you would be better off trying to track one down from a member here. I have mine because another member casually mentioned that the rod was too stiff and not what there were expecting from an UL so I was able to inquire via PM about the rod which lead me to purchace my 2 pc 65UL. Unless I am mistaken 1nutinthewater has one and was disappointed with how stiff it is for an UL and ended up getting an UL Teton. I would shoot him a PM to inquire about the rod. It couldn't hurt. You could always post a WTB add in the classifies as well.