Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by poisonokie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:25 pm

Right on. Man, you guys are ON IT! This insider information is indispensable. Should I find the one I have won't cut it, I'll track down an UL somehow. Good info on the Benkei. If nothing else, the economics of that holds a lot of weight. I'd love the Volkey, though, just because I know they're great rods. And they have green. And cork. Like the reel. Vain, I know, but I know a lot of you can relate, so I don't feel the least bit bad about it.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:17 am

So this reel is top notch. Just impeccable. Super smooth and solid feeling, moreso than the SV version. Interestingly, it has an SV rotor. The ramps have just been glued together. I haven't bombed a cast yet today, but it seems to hold just enough 4# line for a light action rod+1/4 oz bait. It has very good control for the short roll casts and pitches I made in my small back yard with the brakes set on mad. I'm glad I went with this over the Alphas Air, even though I'll probably still get one for this rod since the ASC is going on a trout rod. Awesome reel. The paint finish is really nice and the green is really a grey/green flip paint, depending on how the sun strikes it. There is play in the knobs, so I'll probably throw a bearing in each and shim them up, but other than that it's perfect.

This is the way.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:27 am

You guys are killing me!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Anyone know if it will be possible to just buy the spools?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Houndfish wrote:Anyone know if it will be possible to just buy the spools?
I'm wondering if there's a way to dissolve the glue and turn it into an SV spool... Then you could use one with heavier line for heavier stuff and use the unmodified version for ultra light. Of course you could always just get a Pixy spool, I guess, but it wouldn't be the same.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:40 pm

A friend of mine put one up for sale here just a couple days ago. It didn't last long lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
A friend of mine put one up for sale here just a couple days ago. It didn't last long lol!
Oh, I know. I saw it like 30min too late.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:37 pm

I AM NEVER USING A SPINNING ROD EVER AGAIN! This reel is sooo much better than I thought it would be, and I had high expectations.

This rod isn't even close to what I would consider a crappie stick, but I had no issues landing them on it. It casts even a 1/32 jig+baby shad a respectable distance without issue and the rod's only rated down to 1/16th. A sloppy cast can result in backlash, but the braking is superb and they're easy to get out. I cannot WAIT to see what it can do on that Tenryu.

Unfortunately, the bass wouldn't cooperate at all today, but the reel is smooth and solid and the drag is excellent, so it's on when they decide to wake up.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm

poisonokie wrote:I AM NEVER USING A SPINNING ROD EVER AGAIN! This reel is sooo much better than I thought it would be, and I had high expectations.

This rod isn't even close to what I would consider a crappie stick, but I had no issues landing them on it. It casts even a 1/32 jig+baby shad a respectable distance without issue and the rod's only rated down to 1/16th. A sloppy cast can result in backlash, but the braking is superb and they're easy to get out. I cannot WAIT to see what it can do on that Tenryu.

Unfortunately, the bass wouldn't cooperate at all today, but the reel is smooth and solid and the drag is excellent, so it's on when they decide to wake up.
Welcome to BFS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Are you saying that rod is too weak for crappie or too stout? I figured you meant it was softer than imagined because of casting 1/32. This is why I still cannot pull the trigger on a BFS setup, cannot find a damn rod to match.

I need something that will throw a Bitsy Minnow or 1/16oz w/ Bobby Garland Baby Shad while still being able to handle a 1/8oz Road Runner with 2" Grub. Just cannot find it... I already know the right reel/line.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Are you saying that rod is too weak for crappie or too stout? I figured you meant it was softer than imagined because of casting 1/32. This is why I still cannot pull the trigger on a BFS setup, cannot find a damn rod to match.

I need something that will throw a Bitsy Minnow or 1/16oz w/ Bobby Garland Baby Shad while still being able to handle a 1/8oz Road Runner with 2" Grub. Just cannot find it... I already know the right reel/line.
If you ever go custom, build on the Phenix Mirage UL blanks. Its a versatile blank (with braid). I havent fished FC on it but, braid was great because the rod is soft enough to prevent crappies from ripping their lips and also, keeps tiny UL crank hooks pinned too. I love that rod. I built on the 6'1 2 piece.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Are you saying that rod is too weak for crappie or too stout? I figured you meant it was softer than imagined because of casting 1/32. This is why I still cannot pull the trigger on a BFS setup, cannot find a damn rod to match.

No, it's too stiff. It's very much a bass rod. I backed the drag way off to avoid ripping the hooks out. It casted a 1/16 fin spin/baby shad very well. The 1/32 worked, but wasn't great on distance or accuracy by comparison. It was pretty windy too, though, so that didn't help matters. The UL version of that rod would probably be great for that, but I don't wanna spend $215 to find out. If I were to use it stictly for panfish, I'd get the XUL Volkey and probably never put it down.
This is the way.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:A friend of mine put one up for sale here just a couple days ago. It didn't last long lol!
:big grin:
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Is there any spool options that would fit this pickle that would hold +/- 60-70 yards of .235 line? Are there limitations on the sideplate braking profile that would prevent long casts with 5-10 grams with said spool?

Considering putting this on a Fenwick Techno GP 74L. (both green, plus it's a nice rod)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Is there any spool options that would fit this pickle that would hold +/- 60-70 yards of .235 line? Are there limitations on the sideplate braking profile that would prevent long casts with 5-10 grams with said spool?

Considering putting this on a Fenwick Techno GP 74L. (both green, plus it's a nice rod)
Pixy spools fot in it. That opens up the options.