Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:19 pm

poisonokie wrote:
SSS wrote:Just grab a Ray's Studio spool for pixy. They're lighter than ASC spools and most likely gonna perform better for ultra light lures. But changing the stock bearing will be needed.
It's actually .4 grams, deeper, and doesn't it have an SV type inductor? I hope someone gets both to find out, but I don't think it would compare.
The new pixy spools that came out are 7.4g with an Air BFS bearing from HH. That is much lighter than the ASC spool. It does come with an SV like inductor, which performs very well. if you prefer a fixed inductor for bfs setups, you can fix it in an extended position with glue/epoxy. I have the old pixy spool from Ray's Studio and it performs better than the spool from an alphas air.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:30 pm

SSS wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
SSS wrote:Just grab a Ray's Studio spool for pixy. They're lighter than ASC spools and most likely gonna perform better for ultra light lures. But changing the stock bearing will be needed.
It's actually .4 grams, deeper, and doesn't it have an SV type inductor? I hope someone gets both to find out, but I don't think it would compare.
The new pixy spools that came out are 7.4g with an Air BFS bearing from HH. That is much lighter than the ASC spool. It does come with an SV like inductor, which performs very well. if you prefer a fixed inductor for bfs setups, you can fix it in an extended position with glue/epoxy. I have the old pixy spool from Ray's Studio and it performs better than the spool from an alphas air.
There is a new Ray's Pixy spool? My Avail spool for my 3rd Abu weighs 7.4 with bearing but is $100. That's impressive for the Ray's.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:46 pm

LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
There is a new Ray's Pixy spool? My Avail spool for my 3rd Abu weighs 7.4 with bearing but is $100. That's impressive for the Ray's.
Yea https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 3e60ZzLb7m

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm

poisonokie wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Was wondering does the Air Stream Custom have a taller magnet like the Megabass Zonda?
It does seem to be a pretty hefty magnet, yes, but the braking force is very weak.
So, the magnet is deeper, but the rotor is shallower than on a standard pixy spool?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:13 pm

That sure says 8.9g, which I grant you is .2g lighter, but if you have to change the bearing to get the weight down, I don't see what difference that makes.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:17 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Was wondering does the Air Stream Custom have a taller magnet like the Megabass Zonda?
It does seem to be a pretty hefty magnet, yes, but the braking force is very weak.
So, the magnet is deeper, but the rotor is shallower than on a standard pixy spool?
I don't know, I don't have a Pixy or Zonda. The magnets just seem heavier than other reels. I imagine a Pixy rotor would extend further into the magnets when it's rotating, yes, and be farther away when at rest. Not sure, though. Someone with both spools would have to break out the ruler and see for sure.
This is the way.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:50 pm

poisonokie wrote:That sure says 8.9g, which I grant you is .2g lighter, but if you have to change the bearing to get the weight down, I don't see what difference that makes.
The original bearing is pretty poor. They used to include micro ceramics that were great, but not anymore. The spool's rotational mass is 6.6g. That is excellent.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm

We have talked about the casting and specs of this awesome little reel. What is everyone's opinion of this reel?

Its a great reel IMO. Does what it is designed to do, cast well in tight cover like what is present in many stream settings. Its smooth and can still get respectable distance. Its appearance is easy on the eyes as well. I havent tried its low end capabilities yet. That will come with some warmer weather (3 degrees right now).

On the Water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4FW1O_BYg

A little table talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibo0wsryXM

Hope we can revitalize this thread about this awesome little reel.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:We have talked about the casting and specs of this awesome little reel. What is everyone's opinion of this reel?

Its a great reel IMO. Does what it is designed to do, cast well in tight cover like what is present in many stream settings. Its smooth and can still get respectable distance. Its appearance is easy on the eyes as well. I havent tried its low end capabilities yet. That will come with some warmer weather (3 degrees right now).

On the Water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4FW1O_BYg

A little table talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dibo0wsryXM

Hope we can revitalize this thread about this awesome little reel.
Great videos, definitely doesn’t help my wanting a UL casting setup. Also that rod looks interesting as well, might have to look into it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:37 pm

^ I watched your vids previously - they are great, thanks!
I agree that it is an awesome reel. I seem to recall that you mention casting distance and that it is relatively meager (if I recall correctly). I find that the reel is a great distance caster with light weight lures. My only complaint is that the reel is ill-tempered when mounted on a longer (9+’) soft-moderate action rod. In my hands, it is definitely most well behaved on a <8’ rod.

I have 10lb braid on the ACS and caught a larg number of trout on the reel in 2018 - look forward to thecoming season.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:58 pm

Dalleinf wrote:^ I watched your vids previously - they are great, thanks!
I agree that it is an awesome reel. I seem to recall that you mention casting distance and that it is relatively meager (if I recall correctly). I find that the reel is a great distance caster with light weight lures. My only complaint is that the reel is ill-tempered when mounted on a longer (9+’) soft-moderate action rod. In my hands, it is definitely most well behaved on a <8’ rod.

I have 10lb braid on the ACS and caught a larg number of trout on the reel in 2018 - look forward to thecoming season.
I did talk about the casting distance not being like some other BFS reels. The ASC is no slouch either. I did mention that people shouldnt expect this reel to cast like other (traditional) reels. I keep the people in mind that dont think about a reel's intended purpose. The ASC's control more than makes up for its slight reduction in distance compared to say, the SS AIR.

The ASC is great.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 am

I’m jumping onto the ASC boat, have a 7.2L on order now to find the rod I’m after. Planning on light line spooning and if all goes well maybe a second one will be in order.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Craigthor wrote:I’m jumping onto the ASC boat, have a 7.2L on order now to find the rod I’m after. Planning on light line spooning and if all goes well maybe a second one will be in order.
Check out tbe Silver Creek if you can find one. Cosmetically pairs up and feels nice in hand. Really depends on the size lure you are throwing. Ive thrown 1/4oz on ot and the rod launches the lures. Havent really tested the low end too much but, 1/8oz is very doable

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:15 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craigthor wrote:I’m jumping onto the ASC boat, have a 7.2L on order now to find the rod I’m after. Planning on light line spooning and if all goes well maybe a second one will be in order.
Check out tbe Silver Creek if you can find one. Cosmetically pairs up and feels nice in hand. Really depends on the size lure you are throwing. Ive thrown 1/4oz on ot and the rod launches the lures. Havent really tested the low end too much but, 1/8oz is very doable
I’ve approached PLAT, JP trying to get my hands on the Silver Creek AGS 57UL-B already have the reel and some line on order. Rod is rated down to 1.5g

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:28 pm

I can get great, manageable distance out of a 3/32 oz (2.3g) spoon using 6# Invizx on my MSX 64UL/BF. Obviously it casts accurately to tight spots, too. I'm using mine for bass, so I don't want to go much lighter on the line, but I'm sure with 2 or 3# the distance would be even better. It casts as light and far as I'll ever need. I can't wait to try it with some tiny weightless plastics, neko and jika rigs, and tiny cranks when the weather warms and I can get serious again. I love the reel. It's so effortless and smooth on cast, retrieve, and drag, and so lightweight it has exceeded my expectations in every way. Very few reels have managed that feat with me.
This is the way.