Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 pm

:clap: good job breaking it in on some trout and smallies. I bet that was fun.

bumpererx
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bumpererx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Man what a beautiful place to fish!!! Great pictures and update!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:31 pm

Recieved my Alphas Air Stream Custom LH today. I ordered from Amazon.co.jp - again a very pleasent experience with lightning fast DHL Express delivery (Shipped from Japan on Monday and here at my door in Denmark on Wednesday).

The reel is very pretty. So far that is unfortunately more or less the only positive thing I have to say about it. I spooled it with 10lb Sufix Matrix Pro braid (same line I use on Conquest BFS and many other BFS reels) and mounted it on my Major Craft Finetail B542UL and later on a 9’6” TFO Loomis signature series steelhead rod rated for 1/16-3/8 oz lures or so. I use both rods for trout and with many different reels. I used two different lures - a Rapala Original F5 (2.5 grams or so) and a Mepps Aglia #2 (4.5 grams).
Spool startup was fast and the reel did manage the Rapala decently - especially with sidecasts using the Finetail. In my hands, the reel did not perform well on the TFO rod, which has a slow-regular action. I will build on Schlags post and say that the reel was very fussy / finicky (again in my hands). Some casts were long (usual length) and easy while others for no apparant reason gave backlashes or were abnormally short. I used mag brake settings from 50-75%, spool tension from near side-side play to very tense, and tried a variety of casting styles and could not get the reel to perform well with consistency. This is my early impression from a 2 hour test that left me wishing I had brought any of my other BFS reels...
I hope that my impression will change after some more trips (my initial impression of the standard Alphas Air was not great but I like it better now) and will chime in if it does...

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Recieved my Alphas Air Stream Custom LH today. I ordered from Amazon.co.jp - again a very pleasent experience with lightning fast DHL Express delivery (Shipped from Japan on Monday and here at my door in Denmark on Wednesday).

The reel is very pretty. So far that is unfortunately more or less the only positive thing I have to say about it. I spooled it with 10lb Sufix Matrix Pro braid (same line I use on Conquest BFS and many other BFS reels) and mounted it on my Major Craft Finetail B542UL and later on a 9’6” TFO Loomis signature series steelhead rod rated for 1/16-3/8 oz lures or so. I use both rods for trout and with many different reels. I used two different lures - a Rapala Original F5 (2.5 grams or so) and a Mepps Aglia #2 (4.5 grams).
Spool startup was fast and the reel did manage the Rapala decently - especially with sidecasts using the Finetail. In my hands, the reel did not perform well on the TFO rod, which has a slow-regular action. I will build on Schlags post and say that the reel was very fussy / finicky (again in my hands). Some casts were long (usual length) and easy while others for no apparant reason gave backlashes or were abnormally short. I used mag brake settings from 50-75%, spool tension from near side-side play to very tense, and tried a variety of casting styles and could not get the reel to perform well with consistency. This is my early impression from a 2 hour test that left me wishing I had brought any of my other BFS reels...
I hope that my impression will change after some more trips (my initial impression of the standard Alphas Air was not great but I like it better now) and will chime in if it does...

Hmm thats odd, i was getting consistent cast. Long cast,short cast, side, overhead, backhand cast. My brakes were on half 50%. Was using a 1/16 oz lure and a graphiteleader veloce rv 632lml. It has a whippy tip. Backlashes only when the lure hits a tree branch, or when i snap my cast etc.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:50 pm

^^^Yes, I normally have my Daiwas at 40-55% Mag and loose spool tension. Maybe its me (hope not :shock: ) or maybe the long noodle like rod. Maybe I just need to experiment some more.

bobot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bobot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am

What about this reel vs the Alphas air please?

I've got the opportunity to buy a mint Alphas air but I hesitate with the Stream custom... Choosin' tackle is sometimes hard :lol:

ps: sorry for my english

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:07 pm

bobot wrote:What about this reel vs the Alphas air please?

I've got the opportunity to buy a mint Alphas air but I hesitate with the Stream custom... Choosin' tackle is sometimes hard :lol:

ps: sorry for my english
The air stream will cast very light lures a little bit better than the air but other than that they are the same reel other than color scheme. If you can get an air at a good price i wouldnt hesitate to get it.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

It may be of interest to some: The Pixy Ize spool fits my Alphas Air Stream Custom, but the DIY spool did not.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm

I am on my knees at Daiwa HQ where I am eating my words...
I used the Air Stream Custom today at a small stream. It was on the Major Craft N-One BF 7’8” regular (fast) action. I threw inline spinners weighing approximately 4 gram (edit: and crankbaits ~4 gram).
Despite casting into a strong-ish wind, the reel performed absolutely great. Nice distance with mag brake at 70% (higher than I use for other Daiwas) and spool tension semi-loose (lure dropped fast).
I have cleaned the reel and given it some tsi321, but the fantastic performance was still a big surprise (to me).
Just an update and apology for irrelevant and negative input...now I just hope it keeps performing great \:D/

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Dalleinf wrote:I am on my knees at Daiwa HQ where I am eating my words...
I used the Air Stream Custom today at a small stream. It was on the Major Craft N-One BF 7’8” regular (fast) action. I threw inline spinners weighing approximately 4 gram (edit: and crankbaits ~4 gram).
Despite casting into a strong-ish wind, the reel performed absolutely great. Nice distance with mag brake at 70% (higher than I use for other Daiwas) and spool tension semi-loose (lure dropped fast).
I have cleaned the reel and given it some tsi321, but the fantastic performance was still a big surprise (to me).
Just an update and apology for irrelevant and negative input...now I just hope it keeps performing great \:D/
Yes finally!haha. Yes i use higher mag brake forbthe alphas air stream custom compared to my alphas air or sv reel. Its just bomb light lure far.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:11 am

A few pics from my latest trips. Clear small stream and tiny, small and big-ish (60 cm fish)... All caught using the Air Stream Custom.
Attachments
86F2523B-F4F6-4163-BC67-9FD4BDD10E73.jpeg
86F2523B-F4F6-4163-BC67-9FD4BDD10E73.jpeg (164.29 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
2B071236-2492-4156-92E4-7AD4AD98A986.jpeg
2B071236-2492-4156-92E4-7AD4AD98A986.jpeg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 7308 times
041A4EDD-C431-4525-9C7F-CFFBEF3781CF.jpeg
041A4EDD-C431-4525-9C7F-CFFBEF3781CF.jpeg (101.76 KiB) Viewed 7308 times

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Love it! It looks like the air stream's natural setting.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Nice 23.62" brown trout! Bet that was a fun battle.

I'm appreciating the Alphas air stream more and more.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:34 am

Thanks a lot guys. Biggest trout I have caught from that stream was 28.5” (but they get bigger there). It was a fun fight using a 7’8” rod. Trout that size are much easier to handle with a longer fishing rod IMO...better for my wrists :lol:

Btw. Really liking the new TT picture option.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:34 am

Big favor to ask.
Could you look at the parts diagram/list and give me the part number for the handle/knobs.

Thanks
Eric
Last edited by E73Bass on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.