Steez RC vs Poison Ultima

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez RC vs Poison Ultima

Post by spookybaits » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:Thanks Gents for the replies on PU. Unfortunately, those replies turned a monkey into a gorilla. I found a seller that has a 172h new in Japan well above an already healthy msrp. But could I wait possibly a full production cycle? I'm a slow, patient, dissect the sh$@ out of a spot fisherman. But, somehow it does not translate over well when hunting tackle...decisions
There's a new PU 172H on yahoo jp auctions for $517. Unfortunately he has a low seller rating so USA buyers can't buy. But if you know someone overseas maybe they can?

Here's one for $616 https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/fis ... 363359919/

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm

jjbarry wrote:Have a look at Plat for the new 172H Ultima.

Cheers
Im not sure there's a new 2018 Ultima 172H. I think the 172H has been out for years? I believe the only new model out this year is the 1610 bfs with the mono type handle. And I believe Plat is out of stock (they rarely have any Ultima's in stock)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 pm

ayo8 wrote:
jjbarry wrote:Have a look at Plat for the new 172H Ultima.

Cheers
Im not sure there's a new 2018 Ultima 172H. I think the 172H has been out for years? I believe the only new model out this year is the 1610 bfs with the mono type handle. And I believe Plat is out of stock (they rarely have any Ultima's in stock)
You are correct sir. By new I meant in plastic; hasn't seen water. That plastic should be coming off soon :whistle:

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:17 pm

ayo8 wrote:You talking about the daiwa racing design AGS?

If so, I have entire ultima line - including the 2017 7 4' glass and 6'3 MH. Also have the entire Racing design Line up including the 2018 6 '3 skyray super tune, thats on its way. Aslo have the 2018 Ultima 6'10 bfs coming at the same time- should be any day now.

IMO, the Daiwa RD AGS are more sensitive than the Ultimas. Only problem is that Daiwa doesn't offer much in that line up.

6 3" Sky Ray Super Tune
6 4" Technical Tune SMT
6 8" Respect of '02 Were Wolf
7 1" Jigga Stick

Both Ultimas and Daiwa RD are great sensitive rods. As mentioned above - pricey
That's a crazy collection...glx's must be your beater rods :mrgreen:

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:51 pm

KP Duty wrote:

If so, I have entire ultima line - including the 2017 7 4' glass and 6'3 MH. Also have the entire Racing design Line up including the 2018 6 '3 skyray super tune, thats on its way. Aslo have the 2018 Ultima 6'10 bfs coming at the same time- should be any day now.

IMO, the Daiwa RD AGS are more sensitive than the Ultimas. Only problem is that Daiwa doesn't offer much in that line up.

6 3" Sky Ray Super Tune
6 4" Technical Tune SMT
7 1" Jigga Stick

That's a crazy collection...glx's must be your beater rods :mrgreen:
I dont own any GLX's - never have, and sold off all the NXR's/Conquest rods I own. My beater rods would be the MB X7 line up - which are great blanks.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 am

6 3" Sky Ray Super Tune
6 4" Technical Tune SMT
7 1" Jigga Stick
Glad to see folks on TT forum have collections like that. TT strong!

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Here's some pic's of the 2018 Daiwa RD Skyray Racing Tune , and 2018 Ulitma 1610-BFS :)

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:32 pm

I received a little package also. Going to do the Pepsi challenge tomorrow on these two 172H's. Try to figure out where those extra Yen go with the ultima.

First impressions: the ultima is one of the more beautiful rods I've held. To the touch, the ultima's blank feels like something living. On the other handle, the 18 adrena's new handle simply belongs in my hand and balances so perfectly. We'll see in the morning.
Attachments
IMG_5988.jpg
IMG_5988.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
IMG_5989.jpg
IMG_5989.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
IMG_5978.jpg
IMG_5978.jpg (22.5 KiB) Viewed 5009 times

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 pm

damn sexy

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:28 pm

I had some time on the water with the 172H ultima and 172H 18 adrena. Both are very well balanced, look purpdy and flawless build as far as I can tell. Both MH as other members described with fast tips, but taper deeper into the rod under heavy load. I was fishing with 12 lb mono ( :shock: ) with 1/4 - 1/2 oz underspins and jigs with plastic trailers in 1-3 ft of water in heavy cover.

The Pepsi challenge did not require a blindfold. There is a vast difference in sensitivity between the rods, in my hands. As the standard controls I took a smorgasbord of mb rods-new super destroyer, p3 elseil, big taper diablo, and X7 EM. I found the ultima as sensitive as the SD and X7. Could be more or less in other people's hands, but I could not tell a difference with mono. Not enough casts to tell against the elseil and diablo, but felt like I could read the bottom a bit better with ultima than with those. I was surprised how much less sensitive the adrena was. With the MB rods and ultima, I was to read different types of cover fairly well. With the adrena I eventually started setting hooks just in case when getting snagged because I was missing bites. Granted, all bites accept for one on the yak this morning were super light. But, the drop off in sensitivity was noticeable. I personally can't tell a difference between destroyers and st criox le's usually, so I was surprised.

Bottom line, both were super fun to fish. The adrena is definitely worth 3 bills. The taper really suits my style of fishing and I'm really glad to have had the heads up about power. I think a MH would have been way too soft for my needs. The H fishes like an MB F4.5 in my hands. Very easy to make super accurate casts with lures in it's weight range. But even with the super cool monocoque grip, I found it to be a bit muffled. After I figured that out, I had much more success. Also, one little note about both rods-2 piece rods JDM style where the blank fits into the handle. The fit seems really spot on and it's easy to remove unlike all other multi-piece rods I've had. It's not tight; comes right out. On the other hand, the MB X7 is a bisnatch to take apart. But, with this fit, you want to make sure it's snug every 30 or so casts. I did not have trouble with it noticeably coming out all day, but one time this morning the shaft flew out of the handle when I was casting. It was still dark, I was sleepy and it took me a few seconds to figure out what happened on the yak.

The ultima is what one would expect. It is a pleasure to fish with. Downsides--shimano makes it pretty hard to pay them given their limited availability and yes it requires organ donation. The adrena hits above it's weight, imho; but you can tell where the yen go on the upper tier rods.

Best one on the adrena:
Attachments
IMG_6018.jpg
IMG_6018.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 4945 times