Steez RC vs Poison Ultima

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez RC vs Poison Ultima

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:21 am

ayo8 wrote:
bumpererx wrote:I agree about the Steez RD rods. I have the heavy jig rod and agree it is amazingly sensitive. The feeling is hard to put into words. My first fish on it literally startled me haha
Lol, 711hrb really is sensitive. I find the 6 8" to be just slightly more sensitive. There's just something about the Racing design blanks coupled with AGS carbon fiber/titanium guides that puts it in a class of its own with sensitivity.
BassFisher83 wrote:Those that have the 7011 HRB What the taper like?

I would place it at ex fast
Is it like an ex fast but gradually opens to up further down the blank? Also, does it fish like a heavy powered rod? Some JDM rods are softer than their rating
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Any news on when the '18 Ultimas will start selling? Saw April on shimano website. Not sure how well that corresponds with actual sales. Also, I'm assuming PLAT would be the place to go for the average joe enthusiast? Any other source suggestions?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:43 pm

Should have been more specific: referring to the 1016l bfs

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:44 am

Polkfish1 wrote:Should have been more specific: referring to the 1016l bfs
Mid April I should have one in my hands. Well, that's what i was told last week by my buddy in japan who is getting one for me. Im guessing that's when retailers are getting them as well. Im not sure exactly where my buddy is getting it, but she procured one for me.

I'm assuming PLat, as well - they seem to be on top of new Ultima releases. I believe the new 2018 Ardena's have been out for a couple weeks already. i thought I saw them somewhere online.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:57 am

The Steez RC is so sensitive it has to have it's own "safe space". Especially the casting model, it's "triggered" easily. :shock:

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:28 am

Aufaufa wrote:I have megabass destroyer x7 Extreme Mission and megabass destroyer x7 western flip, these are the most sensitive sticks I played
Want to buy poison ultima
g loomis conquest rods vs poison ultima ?
The Poison Ultima rods are fantastic. I have the 6'6" Versatile and the 7'2" Jig/Worm model. The Versatile model is one of the best multi-purpose rods I've used and would be a run away winner in the "search for one," imo. I've used the Jig/Worm for deeper water and some deeper water Carolina Rigging and it is quite sensitive with very good power.

I do have the Conquest 843, but I've only had one trip on the water with it. If you are a fan of the "old school" classic MBR tapers from Gloomis (like I am), then you will be happy with the Conquest rods. The tapers are fast, compared to the x-fast of the NRX MBR series. FWIW, I did not care for the NRX MBR series rods, even though I do like the NRX line. The Conquest MBR rods are much better, imo.

The sensitivity between the Ultima and Conquest rods is negligible at best. They are both outstanding and can be used very, very well for a number of techniques.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am

After reading this thread, I started looking into the Steez RC a bit more. I was wondering if anyone in the know can tell me what (outside of AGS guides, graphics, etc.) is the blank technology that sets apart the RC and the EG Synergy line-up? Has anyone fished the Synergy CSYC-71H and the RC 7011HRB that can offer some insight into how these rods behave with respect to one another? All things being equal I'd rather stick to the double footed Stainless/SIC than invest in the AGS for a 7' heavy power rod at least.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

drewlesch wrote:After reading this thread, I started looking into the Steez RC a bit more. I was wondering if anyone in the know can tell me what (outside of AGS guides, graphics, etc.) is the blank technology that sets apart the RC and the EG Synergy line-up? Has anyone fished the Synergy CSYC-71H and the RC 7011HRB that can offer some insight into how these rods behave with respect to one another? All things being equal I'd rather stick to the double footed Stainless/SIC than invest in the AGS for a 7' heavy power rod at least.
If you end up ordering the RC7011HRB and not liking it or have buyers remorse, let me know. :big grin:
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 pm

ccass wrote:
drewlesch wrote:After reading this thread, I started looking into the Steez RC a bit more. I was wondering if anyone in the know can tell me what (outside of AGS guides, graphics, etc.) is the blank technology that sets apart the RC and the EG Synergy line-up? Has anyone fished the Synergy CSYC-71H and the RC 7011HRB that can offer some insight into how these rods behave with respect to one another? All things being equal I'd rather stick to the double footed Stainless/SIC than invest in the AGS for a 7' heavy power rod at least.
If you end up ordering the RC7011HRB and not liking it or have buyers remorse, let me know. :big grin:
I've never had buyers remorse for any tackle purchase, I'd keep it all if I could! Part of my enjoyment in the hobby part of this sport though is fishing as much gear as possible. So you never know...

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:02 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Aufaufa wrote:I have megabass destroyer x7 Extreme Mission and megabass destroyer x7 western flip, these are the most sensitive sticks I played
The Poison Ultima rods are fantastic. I have the 6'6" Versatile and the 7'2" Jig/Worm model. The Versatile model is one of the best multi-purpose rods I've used and would be a run away winner in the "search for one," imo. I've used the Jig/Worm for deeper water and some deeper water Carolina Rigging and it is quite sensitive with very good power.

Could anyone compare the PU heavy and medium heavy rods to the megabass f system? Been fishing mb a lot lately and this monkey has been screaming at me something about ultimas. I know it's only a rough estimate given different blanks/tapers. But just for grins, the 72" PU jig and worm is say an F6 or more like and F-?

And second, could someone fill me in on why these seem to be so hard to find? Outside of the Japanese auction sites, these things are nowhere. I emailed plat and they told me about June production or was it July and that I should put an order in if I want to get it on it. Are these so limited annually in production?

BassFisher83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFisher83 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:00 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
jmb27 wrote:

Could anyone compare the PU heavy and medium heavy rods to the megabass f system? Been fishing mb a lot lately and this monkey has been screaming at me something about ultimas. I know it's only a rough estimate given different blanks/tapers. But just for grins, the 72" PU jig and worm is say an F6 or more like and F-?

And second, could someone fill me in on why these seem to be so hard to find? Outside of the Japanese auction sites, these things are nowhere. I emailed plat and they told me about June production or was it July and that I should put an order in if I want to get it on it. Are these so limited annually in production?

I would put the 7'2"H at more of a MH than a true Heavy. WAY TO HARD to give an F rating as they mean nothing across line ups with MB. They are very limited run. I own both the 6'6" and 7'2" and both times placed the order and waited till the next production run until it was available/shipped.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:55 am

BassFisher83 wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
jmb27 wrote:

I would put the 7'2"H at more of a MH than a true Heavy. WAY TO HARD to give an F rating as they mean nothing across line ups with MB. They are very limited run. I own both the 6'6" and 7'2" and both times placed the order and waited till the next production run until it was available/shipped.
The 7'-2" Ultima is indeed a true MH compared to most other rod manufacturers. It would be in the F5 range imo, but like stated all lineups are slightly different and its hard to place it.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am

I would concur that the PG and PU rods I have fished (166M, 1610M, 172H, 174-SB XH), are generally lighter than what I would expect from a M, H, XH rod at their line ratings. I think the 166M was probably the most true to it's medium power.
I would add that the rods bend really deep into the blank, seemingly down to the handle, which took a bit to get used to. I did enjoy fishing each rod and thought their craftsmanship and fit and finish were top notch (on par with EG). I'm excited to try the 176XXH-SB and 1610-BFS to see if I find the sweet spots within each line-up for how I like to fish.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks Gents for the replies on PU. Unfortunately, those replies turned a monkey into a gorilla. I found a seller that has a 172h new in Japan well above an already healthy msrp. But could I wait possibly a full production cycle? I'm a slow, patient, dissect the sh$@ out of a spot fisherman. But, somehow it does not translate over well when hunting tackle...decisions

jjbarry
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jjbarry » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 am

Have a look at Plat for the new 172H Ultima.

Cheers