Stella FJ or Exist 18

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted

Pick one

Stella FJ
40%
Exist 18
60%

Total votes: 40

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Stella FJ or Exist 18

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:33 pm

What one would you get and why?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stella FJ or Exist 18

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 am

As someone from the outside looking in, never had experience with super high end spinning reels, I went with the Stella FJ. I cannot really back my own claim though, just sold on many of Shimano's concepts and technologies from an engineering standpoint. I really think cold forging as a process should build gear durability and life, still needs a good tolerance and solid body for premium smoothness.

Don't really know much about the Exist, I'm sure it is a 10/10 to a 10/10 comparison though and comes down to brand loyalty and/or flat out preferences...

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:04 am

I went with the exist, I am sure that the Stella is a damn fine reel, but I have spinning reels from both companies and I like the Daiwas better than the Shimanos. I was likely going to get a 2500 exist, but I just can’t justify the price they are asking for them (msrp was like 10000 yen less than the last model, yet the price is higher at digitaka than the old one). Same goes for the Stella but that msrp is pretty much the same as the ‘14.

In the end I’ll end up with another certate or the 4.8 version of the ‘17 steez.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:20 am

I have the new Stella FJ. I've always been a Stella fan and get the new versions when they come out. I will definitely try the Exist too, hopefully this spring :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:23 am

I have a few FI's...and I'm trying to rationalize if there is anything in the FJ that makes it worth while
Now the exist.....is a baby magnesium certate HD or Saltiga bay jigger. Now that is Cool....

I'd like to compare the stella FJ side by side to the exsence. (can only do that with the FI) And I dig the exsence over the stella on the water. After going through a pair of gear sets on FI's....in 2 years time...I don't care about fancy coatings on gears. And I'll take a ci4 rotor on fw reels all day over aluminum. It's like swapping out 20" steel rims for aluminum alloy.

Gloomis34
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Gloomis34 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm

I went with the Stella Fj for the fact I love how they Keep improving the internals of the reel. I will be trying out the new exist also it looks like a damn good reel it will be my first high end Daiwa.