Cork on megabass rod, what’s your thought

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Cork on megabass rod, what’s your thought

Post by hzzhangc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 am

I have seen multiple megabass rods with peeled cork filler, including my legend works limited which has ‘rare AAA grade cork’. However, I found this less noticeable on my other glx and st croix rods. Did you guys have the same experience and what’s your thought about it?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cork on megabass rod, what’s your thought

Post by Cristo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

Clean, sand with 1000-1500, refill, re sand, clean, seal bang. Done this with a few rods even new ones, as sometimes filler is a bit bumpy/uneven occasionally. I like to smooth mine out before I seal. I I haven't had problems with MB rods pocking and I feel I use mine quite a bit, subjective of course like almost all things. I am sure some more TTers finest will chime in for you as well. hope that helps

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:47 pm

I always seal cork with U40 on all my rods before I fish with them. This holds all the filler in place and makes it easier to clean the cork after each season. Unfortunately, all cork, even the highest grade, has some filler.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I've noticed this as well and I think the same maybe can be said for Japanese rods in general as I see the same thing on my Evergreen and MajorCraft rods. Perhaps the type or source of cork is different? My Loomis and St Croix rods have much "cleaner" cork also despite being used more often.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:08 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:I've noticed this as well and I think the same maybe can be said for Japanese rods in general as I see the same thing on my Evergreen and MajorCraft rods. Perhaps the type or source of cork is different? My Loomis and St Croix rods have much "cleaner" cork also despite being used more often.
Totally agree. Just take a look at the used megabass rods on ebay and you will see how many chips and loss of cork fillers on the handles. But never mind, just got a tube of wood filler and some 1000 sandpaper from Lowes, should be lots of fun. :lol:

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 pm

njbasscat wrote:I always seal cork with U40 on all my rods before I fish with them. This holds all the filler in place and makes it easier to clean the cork after each season. Unfortunately, all cork, even the highest grade, has some filler.
^^^^This

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Strewth wrote:
njbasscat wrote:I always seal cork with U40 on all my rods before I fish with them. This holds all the filler in place and makes it easier to clean the cork after each season. Unfortunately, all cork, even the highest grade, has some filler.
^^^^This
x3