Shimano World Shaula

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano World Shaula

Post by hzzhangc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 am

Great post! I was looking for the whole line a while ago and was little confused about the lure rating. One for normal lure and one for jigging. I am not sure if the whole line was more designed for hardbait cause I saw some videos they took the rod to amazon for testing and the baits they use the most are top waters.
JWY wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
JWY wrote:I have 3. 2 BCs and 1 spin. Any particular info that you are looking for?
I'm looking for all of it! I'm looking at either the 1650 or 1651 casting models. Any idea what those 2 are like regarding actual power and ratings? How do they fish? Blanks feel good? Anything you can add, I'm all ears.
The ones I have are a 1702R-2, a 1653R-2 both in red and a 2701FF-2 in blue.
Assume you would be all over this already, but for the sake of others who might be interested:
1xxx/2xxx = BC/Spin;
x70x = 7' length;
xxx0/xxx1/xxx2/xxx3... = power rating: BFS/light/'standard'(whatever that means)/power model of the 'standard'...;
xxxxR/xxxxF/xxxxFF/xxxxSS = regular/fast/extra-fast/super slow

In my opinion, the power rating is pretty accurate and the taper description is spot on - as we would expect from a model of this calibre. Not the lightest rods especially the lighter models, but all 3 that I own are very easy to balance even with light reels. Sensitivity is pretty good in my hand but we don't really utilise much bottom contact techniques here, and almost everyone uses PE/braid with a relatively heavy leader (20lb counts as finesse) for their lure fishing, plus fish here don't tend to 'nibble' :D Overall, excellent blanks, as good as you can get from Shimano's freshwater line-ups so far.

Not a fan of coloured blanks but these rods are beautiful especially when under the glaring tropical sun. Build quality is decent but I have seen better on other makers. I like its classic styling and full length cork grip but the quality of the cork is typical JDM - far inferior than the AAA or even the AA grade we are used to seeing on higher end offerings Stateside.

In short, great rods and definitely my go-to. If money is no issue, go for it. Or you can keep an eye on the Japanese auction site for the models you like for the right price - almost all models are 1/3 cut which means you can ship them with EMS, much cheaper.

Can't post photos here well so if you are interested in some photos of rods along with the fish they caught me, just PM me and I can email you.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah, it took me a while, but I figured out what the numbers meant. So if I wanted to use the 6'5 model for 1/16 and 1/8 oz wacky jig heads with 5 inch finesse worms AND small top water baits like Megabass Grand Sigletts and various others weighing on average 3/16 to 1/4 oz. . . . Do I want the 0 or 1 power?

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:50 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Yeah, it took me a while, but I figured out what the numbers meant. So if I wanted to use the 6'5 model for 1/16 and 1/8 oz wacky jig heads with 5 inch finesse worms AND small top water baits like Megabass Grand Sigletts and various others weighing on average 3/16 to 1/4 oz. . . . Do I want the 0 or 1 power?
My guess is the 1650, being bait finesse and all... But I bet it won't behave like a typical BFS rod in that all models that I own and played with (5 including a 1 power model) have very strong backbones.

FYI: there is a 1650FF-2 in good condition on the Japanese auction site at the moment.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 pm

This rod was created mostly for all round use,and was tested a bunch of countrys on great powerfull fish.(take a look video on you-tube) So,I don't see any BFS style there...sorry :(
But.It's really top quality rod ,made in Japan,very sencitive blank(GLX level),keep overload like G Loomis rods. Cos of regular-fast power,they're casting like a dream,and same point very good for any jerkbait,plugs,topwater lures. Also, a great sencitivity give you chance to use with any jig rigs.
Overpricing??? I don't think so. It's exactly worth the price.
Lol. Think twice before trying...Your MB rods can be ignored by you after that :mrgreen:

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:44 pm

A whole new line-up is coming up in 2018.

Better blanks, better guides, with jigging handle available (for extra $)

https://www.facebook.com/hajime.murata. ... 795182702/

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:02 pm

JWY wrote:A whole new line-up is coming up in 2018.

Great. Maybe the previous model will go on sale!? How much is that 00 model on the Japanese auction site at? I don't use buyee, but I can have a buddy do the bidding for me.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 pm

The color of the blank looks beautiful.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Yes, these are killing me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0PuArBhKbU

Just snuck a new rod in the house today. Intercepted ups man while walking dog. :whistle: now I watch this video

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:

Yes, these are killing me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0PuArBhKbU

Just snuck a new rod in the house today. Intercepted ups man while walking dog. :whistle: now I watch this video
Wow =P~

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

A bit disappointed to see that they have replaced the wood portion on the reel seat with plastic on the spinning models. But I like the addition of 3-piece models (i.e. handle, lower 1/3, and upper 2/3)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:40 pm

If anyone finds the previous model somewhere at discounted prices, please let me know. These new models are just sexy. That monocoque grip though 8-[
Are these at retailers yet? I need both in my life. I own mostly customs, but made the mistake of purchasing some Shimano Poison rods. I absolutely love Shimano high end blanks, not to mention their styling. Gonna be an expensive year between these and the new Adrena. Damn you Shimano