BFS REEL ????

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS REEL ????

Post by RIng » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am

Hi all . I am getting into UL casting . Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of the Shamimano Scocpion BFG XG and the Daiwa Liberto Pixy PX68L ? The Pixy is available second hand for about 100.00 less than the Scorpion . Thank you

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS REEL ????

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am

The scorpion bfs would be more UL orientated than the pixy with it's deeper spool. Conversly, the pixy would be better suited to a little heavier baits and hold more line.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 am

Have you ever consider the 16 aldebaran ? I own two of them and really like this platform.

Never tryed the scorpion bfs, the alde is lighter, palm well, but I believe it also offer a good performance. The pixy is also a really nice little reel, you could get a fairly cheap diy shallow spool for around 40 on the chineese sites.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of theses, but given the choice I would try to get a deal on like new second hand aldebaran or pick up the scorpion.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Don't sleep on the Alphas AIR. Pretty nice reel for about 220 bucks.

Also, what weight are you planning on thowing?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

RIng
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RIng » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

I would like to use 1/8 oz and maybe lighter .

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:42 pm

RIng wrote:I would like to use 1/8 oz and maybe lighter .
If 1/8 oz and below then the Pixy need a new spool, eg DIY.
For that kind of weight range the Scorpion BFS or Alphas Air is better out of the box.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
For that kind of weight range the Scorpion BFS or Alphas Air is better out of the box.
How smooth is the Alphas Air and does it give much distance? Seem to see a lot of used ones for sale.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:37 pm

Strewth wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:
How smooth is the Alphas Air and does it give much distance? Seem to see a lot of used ones for sale.
My alphas air is Ok smooth although less so than eg Aldebaran.
It is also a little temperamental. Some days I find it fantastic with easy casting and nice distance. Other days I have issues with finding the right setting.
It may just be me - I have many reels and rotate a lot.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 am

I can wing a 1/16 oz wacky head with thin 4" finesse worm as far as I need to with a stock Alphas SV and stock Steez SV TW. I can only imagine what the Air is capable of. Tiny hardbaits that aren't aerodynamic would definitely be better with the Air. Getting much distance with those is a challenge with the deeper SV spools.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 am

I have a KTF spool in a curado 50E that more than capable of that weight..
At one time KTF spool were all around here.. I've never used a DIY spool and I don't know much about them
but I can tell you that the KTF spool in a 50E is effortless..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bumpererx
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bumpererx » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:49 pm

The alphas air is really and underrated reel for the price. With the right rod it is easily capable of casting baits 1/16 or 1/8. I suggest cleaning the stock bearings well or even upgrading to some ZPI sic bearings or YT fusion. It’ll be a little casting machine!

Another favorite is a conquest 50 / 50s. Very capable casting light stuff

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:37 pm

What rod? Balance is important for me when talking BFS.

True BFS reels are all pretty good these days. I like the Alphas Air, but don't like the stock bearings. The Airy Red Pixilla is still my favorite, but only after Ian tunes it.

But for the lightest stuff, the stock Aldebaran BFS XG is king, with the spool capacity being it's only limitation imo.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:39 am

zodiak311 wrote:What rod? Balance is important for me when talking BFS.

True BFS reels are all pretty good these days. I like the Alphas Air, but don't like the stock bearings. The Airy Red Pixilla is still my favorite, but only after Ian tunes it.

But for the lightest stuff, the stock Aldebaran BFS XG is king, with the spool capacity being it's only limitation imo.
What tuning mod do you like best on the Airy Red? I recently aquired one and used it a bit this past fall. Most of the mods are cosmetic and external except a set of HH bearings.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:

What tuning mod do you like best on the Airy Red? I recently aquired one and used it a bit this past fall. Most of the mods are cosmetic and external except a set of HH bearings.
Polishing, and drag upgrade, you'd have to ask Ian about everything else he does to them. 8-)
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:

Polishing, and drag upgrade, you'd have to ask Ian about everything else he does to them. 8-)
Thanks! That is pretty much what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the there was an inductor springs swap/mod? :-k