Pixy Question

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Pixy Question

Post by medicpelle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:51 pm

I had some issues with my liberto pixy today. I was throwing a 1/4oz balsa prop bait today and couldn't get any distance, even throwing with the wind. It was like the spool (Stock) was spinning but the line was coming off at half the speed. The line (10lb mono) was fine, no overrun/backlash, kinks, etc. No issues with the rod either.I spooled out the line and tried again, same issue. Well after 10 minutes of messing with it I got a professional overrun due to frustration and put it away. I did not have time to look at it after getting off the water tonight. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow after I get off the water. Is there anything I should be looking for?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy Question

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 am

Are you saying that the spool spins freely but it as if the line can't get out of it's own way? If so, is the spool overfilled? Been there and done that. If it is not acting like it is overfilled take a look as the spool bearings. I've had spool bearings die on me without seizing up. The spool would still spin on a cast but much slower and wouldn't in a pitch type cast or free spool spin when flicked.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Possible magnets brakes not works correct,did you try to change mag set ?

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Spool is not overfilled. I will preface my reply with the statement of I am not a reel tech. I know enough to clean and service my reels and that is the extent of my ability. I took the spool out, everything is clean. Spool bearings look fine, seals are in tact. With the spool out and the tension backed way off the handle will spin but not very freely or smooth.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 am

One of the magnet rings may have come unglued from the locator rings. It's pretty easy to see if that's the case, and it's an easy fix. On two of mine, it has been the larger ring that has come unglued.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 am

Rings looked good as well. I did remove them and reseat them just in case. I plan on trying it again to see if it's still doing what it did. If the problem continues I will send it off to TT.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:22 pm

medicpelle wrote:Rings looked good as well. I did remove them and reseat them just in case. I plan on trying it again to see if it's still doing what it did. If the problem continues I will send it off to TT.
Here's the problem! Magnet rings should be fixed on plate,if you can remove it,thay're not works properly.Take off the side plate,put magnet brake on max,in this position line-mark on both rings should be on one line.If it's not,move it in this pisition and fix with any fast glue.
And when you put min mag-brake,line-mark will be far from each other .

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:36 pm

fffishing wrote:
medicpelle wrote:Rings looked good as well. I did remove them and reseat them just in case. I plan on trying it again to see if it's still doing what it did. If the problem continues I will send it off to TT.
Here's the problem! Magnet rings should be fixed on plate,if you can remove it,thay're not works properly.Take off the side plate,put magnet brake on max,in this position line-mark on both rings should be on one line.If it's not,move it in this pisition and fix with any fast glue.
And when you put min mag-brake,line-mark will be far from each other .
I had to pull the retainer to get the magnets out, they were lined up prior and after I put them back. I did not use any glue.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 am

So they were still firmly attached to their respective locating rings...?

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:28 pm

medicpelle
Try to fix it,if you can take it out by hands,-that's not good.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Tried to throw it yesterday and meh not good. I put new line on it, no difference. I know that prop bait is light but I was throwing it with a 15 mph wind and might of got 15 yards. I'm just going to send it in for repairs.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:27 am

medicpelle wrote:Tried to throw it yesterday and meh not good. I put new line on it, no difference. I know that prop bait is light but I was throwing it with a 15 mph wind and might of got 15 yards. I'm just going to send it in for repairs.
Send it on in to The Tackle Trap, Bryan will get it fixed up for you. Here is the Reel Service Page where there is a clickable, printable form to send in with the reel.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks Gary, I will get it out on Monday.