Will deep spool from early version Calais work in new Antares?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Will deep spool from early version Calais work in new Antares?

Post by mcfishing620 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:54 pm

I just got a good deal on an Antares ANT100, but the line capacity is terrible. I generally run at minimum 15lb line, and this reel holds about 77 yards of that. The older Antares and Calais reels, some had deep spools with a lot of capacity. Would there be a chance those would work on this new reel? The spool size says it is the same, I think 35/22. I know it's a long shot, but I have to ask.
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Re: Will deep spool from early version Calais work in new Antares?

Post by mcfishing620 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 am

Anyone?
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 am

Highly unlikely as the frames are different. Yumeya, Shimano's aftermarket division, did make a deep spool for the '12/ANT100 that you have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yumeya+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 am

Different brakes as well

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:23 pm

I don't understand why these reel manufacturers don't offer different spool sizes, handle lengths, etc. Shimano is totally lacking in this department. Shouldn't have to buy a different kind of reel to get a bigger spool, or different parts. They definitely should have a custom shop. 13 Fishing is doing great in this department, but lacking in quality compared to Shimano.
My go to...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm

mcfishing620 wrote:I don't understand why these reel manufacturers don't offer different spool sizes, handle lengths, etc. Shimano is totally lacking in this department. Shouldn't have to buy a different kind of reel to get a bigger spool, or different parts. They definitely should have a custom shop. 13 Fishing is doing great in this department, but lacking in quality compared to Shimano.
Or you can go Daiwa and get both.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Post by mcfishing620 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:27 am

I haven't had good luck with Daiwa, and neither has my dad and that's mostly what he's used. I've tried all the major brands, and I don't generally buy cheap stuff, usually around 200 or more for a reel, and nothing has lasted like Shimano. I had a Chronarch Ci4+ that I got when they came out, and didn't even have it serviced whatsoever, no oil, anything, until early this year and it worked great. Replaced the gears and had it cleaned and tuned and it was even better than new. My musky reels are Daiwa Lexas actually, in a 300hs and a 400pwr. Can't beat those for the money. Also have a new Tranx 300 I use for wiper and it's a great reel, but they should have used a magnetic drag. I use 20 and 25lb line for my heavier stuff and I hate having to go to an overkill reel just to be able to hold a decent amount of line for trolling, etc.
My go to...