Aldebaran for jigs and worms?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Aldebaran for jigs and worms?

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:38 am

Does anyone have experience with this reel? I'm a Shimano guy. I have some of the new Chronarch MGL's and I really like them. I have been disappointed with my Metanium MGL. It may have a new home soon. This would be paired with an NRX and is my jig and worm rod. I am concerned that this might not be sturdy enough for 3/8-1/2 ounce jigs. Am I wrong?

down4ttown
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Aldebaran for jigs and worms?

Post by down4ttown » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:14 am

Rest easy and grab the aldebaran. I have one that I use exclusively for 1/4 to 3/8 oz shakeyheads. It does outstanding and could easily do more. It is a very tight reel that hasn't shown me an ounce of flex. My opinion is that this reel could do almost anything but it excels in lighter baits. If you are going to limit it to 1/2 oz or less, then there is not much better out there.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:13 am

I only have experience with an 09 aldeberan. That thing can pretty much handle anything within reason of course your weight ranges I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use it. The rub is I don't have experience with the newer versions so I cannot speak on them good luck I'm sure plenty of people will chime in and give their opinions.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Rodster14 wrote:Does anyone have experience with this reel? I'm a Shimano guy. I have some of the new Chronarch MGL's and I really like them. I have been disappointed with my Metanium MGL. It may have a new home soon. This would be paired with an NRX and is my jig and worm rod. I am concerned that this might not be sturdy enough for 3/8-1/2 ounce jigs. Am I wrong?
I have both (Ald 51 Met MGL),great reels! They're have same SVS break,and Met is good for 3/8-3/4,and Ald 1/4-5/8 (more-less,of course) So,for your rigs should be good,but what wrong with Met? :shock:

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 pm

I have two and thats what i use them for.
One for T rigs and one for jigs.
Greats reels for those purposes.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 pm

I love my Alde for 3/8oz jigs. That on my NRX 853C is one of my favorite combos!

dag3220
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dag3220 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

I used this reel for jigs ranging from 1/8oz up to 1/2oz and it worked great...... Then I decided to make it a dedicated ultralight reel for panfishing and trout!

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Rodster, why don't you like the MGL? Does it feel like a toy?

I have 3 Aldebarans. An MG7, a 2013 BFS and a 2015 BFS XG. I like them all but with the XG, I felt very hesitant that it was sturdy because it felt like a plastic toy. A few fish over 5lbs increased my confidence in it and now I don't even think about it. I fish jigs and worms on the BFS models.

madlodger
Angler
Angler

Post by madlodger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm

I had 12 ALDEBARAN BFS HG .... got rid of.
I had 50 Aldebaran ... got rid of.
Now,I have 16 Aldebaran BFS HG + 17 Shimano Expride to 3/8.
And I enjoy.
I like this combo for worms and jigs .

cpvince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cpvince » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Should be able to handle it just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up for your intended application.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Rodster14 wrote:Does anyone have experience with this reel? I'm a Shimano guy. I have some of the new Chronarch MGL's and I really like them. I have been disappointed with my Metanium MGL. It may have a new home soon. This would be paired with an NRX and is my jig and worm rod. I am concerned that this might not be sturdy enough for 3/8-1/2 ounce jigs. Am I wrong?
When you have a METmgl and a Aldebaran together you will quickly realize that the Alde is a finesse reel. Sure you could pitch and flip with it but its not designed for that its made to cast lite baits. It does feel a little toyish cause its so lite but it really shines with some 10lb flouro on med action rod its great for weightless baits and shakyheads.

What are disappoints in the METmgl? That reel is a beast i love mine. Thet METmgl and the Alde really complement each other very well.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Is this discussion about the JDM BFS model?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 pm

I have an 09 mg7 Aldebaran
It's been tuned by Ian and YT bearings added.. I've just thrown in my ktf spool from an 50E.

I would say 12lb line or less is as far as I'd go with the Aldebaran
Whereas I flip and punch with the 50E I wouldn't think of it with the Aldebaran. The frame is light and strong but not as rigid as the 50E
That being said I would not jig fish with the Aldebaran
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible