Met. MGL Micro Module Smoothness?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Met. MGL Micro Module Smoothness?

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:36 am

Strewth wrote:
y2k88 wrote:I felt mine was ever so slightly gritty but not geary.
Maybe it's the same thing on different ends of the scale.
That is an accurate description. Beats me why they don't use brass for the gears.
My Chronarch CI4 has a very geary feel to it. I sent it to a "reel tech" and wanted/asked for new gears but he didnt :doh: just cleaned lubed it but that didnt help still geary feel and noisy and a bit tight worse shape than when I sent it to him, pretty much dont use it anymore. This was in my mind when I bought the Chronarch MGL so when it started making noise I returned it promtly.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:05 am

Strewth wrote:
That is an accurate description. Beats me why they don't use brass for the gears.
Are aluminum gears cheaper to manufacture than brass?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 am

mark poulson wrote:
Strewth wrote:
Not sure, I know the higher end "duralumin" material some companies use for gears is a more expensive material though. I think there are different grades of it too though. I would also assume because aluminum is lighter it should be easier to machine, but might be harder to get perfect tolerances out of (making the reel smooth or rough). As opposed to the harder brass, which might be harder to machine, but better stays set at the desired tolerances once they are achieved.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:25 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Strewth wrote:
Not sure, I know the higher end "duralumin" material some companies use for gears is a more expensive material though. I think there are different grades of it too though. I would also assume because aluminum is lighter it should be easier to machine, but might be harder to get perfect tolerances out of (making the reel smooth or rough). As opposed to the harder brass, which might be harder to machine, but better stays set at the desired tolerances once they are achieved.
I wonder if brass is harder than aluminum, or more wear resistant, at least in gears.
Maybe that's why almost all reels use brass pinion gears. They must hold up better than aluminum pinion gears.
I have a couple of older baitcasters which seem to have both main and pinion gears out of a different metal altogether, possibly stainless.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Strewth wrote:
Everyone is obsessed with the weight of the reel, aluminum is lighter and just a few ounces can be a deal breaker for potential buyers.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm

mark poulson wrote:
I wonder if brass is harder than aluminum, or more wear resistant, at least in gears.
Maybe that's why almost all reels use brass pinion gears. They must hold up better than aluminum pinion gears.
I have a couple of older baitcasters which seem to have both main and pinion gears out of a different metal altogether, possibly stainless.
Brass is softer than aluminium but it has more tensile strength. Aluminum is usually more expensive, its also harder and more brittle. Its much easier to chip the teeth of aluminum gears. I have seen this from reels being dropped or from general abuse.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Markanthony404 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Brass is softer than aluminium but it has more tensile strength. Aluminum is usually more expensive, its also harder and more brittle. Its much easier to chip the teeth of aluminum gears. I have seen this from reels being dropped or from general abuse.
I wish they had like a skeletal style stainless gear, like an old train wheel. I would gladly take a few more ounces to have a nearly indestructible gear. I am sadly experiencing aluminum gear issues now... 2 Revo spinning reels, and my SS/SV.

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
I wish they had like a skeletal style stainless gear, like an old train wheel. I would gladly take a few more ounces to have a nearly indestructible gear. I am sadly experiencing aluminum gear issues now... 2 Revo spinning reels, and my SS/SV.
Stainless steel lasts too long, company's want us to buy new reels every few years.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:48 am

My gears felt rough in a '13 Met, swapped them out still rough. Did another full cleaning(no parts swapped out) and something worked with that one and it's been super smooth ever since. I don't know what the cause was, but it is possible to smooth them out. I really don't think it has anything to do with the gears, since my friends Met MGL main gear was corroded pretty badly, yet the reel was still smooth.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:My gears felt rough in a '13 Met, swapped them out still rough. Did another full cleaning(no parts swapped out) and something worked with that one and it's been super smooth ever since. I don't know what the cause was, but it is possible to smooth them out. I really don't think it has anything to do with the gears, since my friends Met MGL main gear was corroded pretty badly, yet the reel was still smooth.
Bearings are the only other suspect I could accuse... Maybe a batch of side plates had a tolerance fail? Just happens sometimes. I know most of my new Daiwa's have a slightly loose thumb bar, newest one is solid as can be, strange. I have been recently bragging on a Chronarch MGL I felt at Academy, not a single lever, button, or knob was even microscopically loose. Very tight sleek feeling reel, and I figure the Metanium shares these traits...

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm

So to those of you like me who were unhappy, did you sell it and go to something else? If so, what?

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:05 pm

One thing to take into account is these reels will make noise they all do Shimano Daiwa all of them. Its a mechanical device with gears and moving parts its never going to be silent and buttery smooth for ever. Iv been buying highend reels for a loong time and they are great out of the box but once broke in you start hear and feel things about the reel that can be bothersome cause out of the box it was smooth as butter. The micro module gearing is a different feel for sure.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:28 pm

illini wrote:One thing to take into account is these reels will make noise they all do Shimano Daiwa all of them. Its a mechanical device with gears and moving parts its never going to be silent and buttery smooth for ever. Iv been buying highend reels for a loong time and they are great out of the box but once broke in you start hear and feel things about the reel that can be bothersome cause out of the box it was smooth as butter. The micro module gearing is a different feel for sure.
But the point in question here is that the MM gears are super smooth in the Conquest (even after extended use), but not so smooth in the 13 Met. The major difference seems to be that the Met has an aluminium drive gear while the Conquest has a brass drive gear. Other factors come into play, of course, such as construction tolerances and frame rigidity, but my Met gears were initially very smooth and then went rough fairly quickly. Not so the Conquest, which has landed 100s of large tropical fish. I would buy a brass gear set tomorrow for the 13 met if I could find one to fit. Don't know about the Met MGL because I don't have one.

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Strewth wrote:
illini wrote:One thing to take into account is these reels will make noise they all do Shimano Daiwa all of them. Its a mechanical device with gears and moving parts its never going to be silent and buttery smooth for ever. Iv been buying highend reels for a loong time and they are great out of the box but once broke in you start hear and feel things about the reel that can be bothersome cause out of the box it was smooth as butter. The micro module gearing is a different feel for sure.
But the point in question here is that the MM gears are super smooth in the Conquest (even after extended use), but not so smooth in the 13 Met. The major difference seems to be that the Met has an aluminium drive gear while the Conquest has a brass drive gear. Other factors come into play, of course, such as construction tolerances and frame rigidity, but my Met gears were initially very smooth and then went rough fairly quickly. Not so the Conquest, which has landed 100s of large tropical fish. I would buy a brass gear set tomorrow for the 13 met if I could find one to fit. Don't know about the Met MGL because I don't have one.
Interesting! My best guess would be the brass mesh better because its brass on brass. The Met's alloy main gear and brass pinion being different metals are not meshing well and wearing differently. My Metmgl is still pretty new i just put a bearing the levelwind and that made a noticeable difference in the rotation of the reel. One thing i did notice was the gears were dry i dont think the grease sticks to the alloy like it does the brass. Same thing with the Aldebaran bone dry!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

illini wrote:
Strewth wrote:
Interesting! My best guess would be the brass mesh better because its brass on brass. The Met's alloy main gear and brass pinion being different metals are not meshing well and wearing differently. My Metmgl is still pretty new i just put a bearing the levelwind and that made a noticeable difference in the rotation of the reel. One thing i did notice was the gears were dry i dont think the grease sticks to the alloy like it does the brass. Same thing with the Aldebaran bone dry!
Does that make the argument for using some kind of a gear grease that bonds with the metal, like Hot Sauce, on aluminum gears?