Why should I buy a Daiwa Zillion J-Dream?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why should I buy a Daiwa Zillion J-Dream?

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am

africanbass wrote:You need to own at least one over rated reel in your life 8-)
Agreed. Everyone needs to own a TDZ.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:04 pm

LowRange wrote:
Don't say that,the ito army and personal order mafia will sort you out :big grin:
Happiness is a sore thumb

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 pm

stingray23 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Because these were limited edition, prices for beat up used ones are way too high. If you find a j dream spool for a a reasonable price and put it in a regular zillion and increased the bearing count in the regular zillion you would have one that performed just as well. Increase the bearing count and upgrade the spool bearings in a sv103 and you would have a real performer for alot less money.

Yeah, but that J Dream sure looks good though. The aesthetics on that reel makes it look like an expensive watch. Just a really good looking reel.
They are sweet reels. I bought 2 of them when they were new. Check out the japanese auction sites. Your chances of finding one in very good condition are better.

I could never figure out which auction sites to look at. Which ones do you suggest?

This one looks in pretty decent shape on the plain old bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-ZILLION-7 ... Sw4CFYqpCs

not sure if this one is a different one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-ZILLION-7 ... Swa~BYTls-

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 am

africanbass wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Don't say that,the ito army and personal order mafia will sort you out :big grin:
Harsh!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 am

Sorry, I should have specified those are both righties. There are also other ratios out there on the bay for righties right now in fairly decent shape. I had more trouble getting a lefty.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am

It's probably the best version of one of the best reels ever, and therefore a luxury. If i had one it would probably never see the water.

I agree that you could fairly inexpensively take a regular Zillion and tune it up to make it comparable, but it won't be the same. Really, out of the box Zillions are brilliant, anyway. People used to complain about how much more the Type R version was because it wasn't that much better. Still, if you just want that handle for your standard Zillion, which was the biggest difference, it would set you back more than the price difference.

So if you are in love with the platform and have money to burn there's really no reason not to. You can probably get more reel(s) for that money, but that's not the point.
This is the way.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:03 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
stingray23 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Because these were limited edition, prices for beat up used ones are way too high. If you find a j dream spool for a a reasonable price and put it in a regular zillion and increased the bearing count in the regular zillion you would have one that performed just as well. Increase the bearing count and upgrade the spool bearings in a sv103 and you would have a real performer for alot less money.

Yeah, but that J Dream sure looks good though. The aesthetics on that reel makes it look like an expensive watch. Just a really good looking reel.
They are sweet reels. I bought 2 of them when they were new. Check out the japanese auction sites. Your chances of finding one in very good condition are better.

I could never figure out which auction sites to look at. Which ones do you suggest?

This one looks in pretty decent shape on the plain old bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-ZILLION-7 ... Sw4CFYqpCs

not sure if this one is a different one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-ZILLION-7 ... Swa~BYTls-
Those reels aren't in too bad of shape. I guess I'm picky, I refuse to pay that much for a reel that has scratches or boat rash, even if minor.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:49 am

I looked at those reels on ebay the other night. They inspired me to start this thread. If anything, I would get a better conditioned one then what is currently on ebay.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 am

Agreed. There are better ones out there.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 am

poisonokie wrote:It's probably the best version of one of the best reels ever, and therefore a luxury. If i had one it would probably never see the water.

I agree that you could fairly inexpensively take a regular Zillion and tune it up to make it comparable, but it won't be the same. Really, out of the box Zillions are brilliant, anyway. People used to complain about how much more the Type R version was because it wasn't that much better. Still, if you just want that handle for your standard Zillion, which was the biggest difference, it would set you back more than the price difference.

So if you are in love with the platform and have money to burn there's really no reason not to. You can probably get more reel(s) for that money, but that's not the point.
Well said!

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am

stingray23 wrote:

Try http://buyee.jp/yahoo/auction . I bought a BNIB J-Dream 6.3L from there.

Righties (new)
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/e208032326
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/v484101610

I couldn't find any new lefties, but if you keep an eye on it, you will find one.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 am

poisonokie wrote:It's probably the best version of one of the best reels ever, and therefore a luxury. If i had one it would probably never see the water.

I agree with if you have the money and you want to spend big bucks on a reel then go ahead. I will spend the money if I find a reel I like and it is in mint or almost mint condition, but won't spend a lot of money for one that is scratched up just because it is limited edition. I was just giving another alternative by building one with your own with parts. But like you said it is not the same as owning a sweet limited edition reel.
Last edited by spencerinstl on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 am

Cyacnba wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

Try http://buyee.jp/yahoo/auction . I bought a BNIB J-Dream 6.3L from there.

Righties (new)
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/e208032326
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/v484101610

I couldn't find any new lefties, but if you keep an eye on it, you will find one.

Thanks!

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:41 pm

buy yourself a brand new red thumb bar megabass IP79 unless you could find a great deal of J-Dream

To be honest that bad quality painting job of Japan flag does bug me.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Or find used DEPS ZDV100 which is my favorite zillion

"North" of America...

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:49 am

I have been considering picking up a mint or near mint right hand J-Dream 6.3. It seems like the cream of the crop when it comes to the Zillion platform.