Why should I buy a Daiwa Zillion J-Dream?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Why should I buy a Daiwa Zillion J-Dream?

Post by stingray23 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 pm

I'd like to know what makes this reel so desirable? I see a lot of people love theirs and would like to know why? I have an itch...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why should I buy a Daiwa Zillion J-Dream?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:30 pm

It's just one of those reels that performs as good as it looks. And that spool is killer too.
<")))><{

tditox4
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tditox4 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Itch?.....you have j- dream fever! Lol ...better get one to get that fever in check.. What is not to like with the dream ...casts great , beautiful color and cosmetics , big 100mm handle . The only thing I changed on my 7.9R was the knobs , put on a pair of red rcs . I might install a pair of Hedgehog bearings on the spool , not sure yet.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 pm

stingray23 wrote:I'd like to know what makes this reel so desirable? I see a lot of people love theirs and would like to know why? I have an itch...
It's very smooth, has a great spool and braking profile, and it looks really cool. I have a 6.3L and love it for all of my spinner/buzz/chatterbaits and swimjigs. I use it for 3/8oz and up because of the rod it is on but it'll cast down to 1/4oz easily with the appropriate line and rod. Plus, you could pick up a DIY spool and go finesse fishing with it.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Like the others said very smooth casts very well. It has 11 bearings. The megabass IP is the same reel but doesn't come in 6.3 and you will be able to find a new one.
http://www.fishonmag.com/daiwa-zillion-j-dream/
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 pm

It must be spreading. I just had the j-dream fever really bad. Came down with the chills and everything. I let so many of these slip by over the years and I finally pulled the trigger on a near mint. I'm a lefty, so I overpaid, but I had to go to drastic measures to bring the temperature down. Just checked the tracking and it's in NJ finally on it's way to FL from Hungary of all places. I don't know if the guy sent it by boat...it's taken forever. If it functions 10/10 as claimed or as good as it looks, I'll be on the water with it on Friday.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 pm

2 words: It rocks.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:04 am

Because you can! Good luck with the hunt.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 am

You need to own at least one over rated reel in your life 8-)
Happiness is a sore thumb

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 am

How does it compare to an SV103? Thats my only real reference as that is what I have.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 am

Because these were limited edition, prices for beat up used ones are way too high. If you find a j dream spool for a a reasonable price and put it in a regular zillion and increased the bearing count in the regular zillion you would have one that performed just as well. Increase the bearing count and upgrade the spool bearings in a sv103 and you would have a real performer for alot less money.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 am

spencerinstl wrote:Because these were limited edition, prices for beat up used ones are way too high. If you find a j dream spool for a a reasonable price and put it in a regular zillion and increased the bearing count in the regular zillion you would have one that performed just as well. Increase the bearing count and upgrade the spool bearings in a sv103 and you would have a real performer for alot less money.

Yeah, but that J Dream sure looks good though. The aesthetics on that reel makes it look like an expensive watch. Just a really good looking reel.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 am

stingray23 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:Because these were limited edition, prices for beat up used ones are way too high. If you find a j dream spool for a a reasonable price and put it in a regular zillion and increased the bearing count in the regular zillion you would have one that performed just as well. Increase the bearing count and upgrade the spool bearings in a sv103 and you would have a real performer for alot less money.

Yeah, but that J Dream sure looks good though. The aesthetics on that reel makes it look like an expensive watch. Just a really good looking reel.
They are sweet reels. I bought 2 of them when they were new. Check out the japanese auction sites. Your chances of finding one in very good condition are better.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:46 am

spencerinstl wrote:
stingray23 wrote:

They are sweet reels. I bought 2 of them when they were new. Check out the japanese auction sites. Your chances of finding one in very good condition are better.

I could never figure out which auction sites to look at. Which ones do you suggest?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 am

the J dreams are buttery smooth as well. smoother than other zillions.