Metanium MGL geary feeling?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
HIfisher
Angler
Angler

Metanium MGL geary feeling?

Post by HIfisher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 pm

I've had my metanium for about a year It was purchased brand new from sansui when I was stationed in japan. Lately it's been having a "geary" feeling while I retrieve. I've used IOS factory full synthetic, shimano gear grease, hot sauce, and tried ardent reel butter. So far when I re-grease that original smoothness lasts only for a trip or two with the reel butter having the best results even while being the cheapest. I use the reel for bottom contact baits, jigs mostly so minimum retrieving is done unless I'm bringing back the jig for another cast. Besides that the reel is super smooth with clean and smooth stock bearings but having micromodule gears I feel like I'm feeling all the micro teeth. My Metanium 13 doesn't have that problem and wonder if it's because the gears are brass. Any advice or tips on restoring that butter smooth retrieve?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium MGL geary feeling?

Post by Strewth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

The 13 Met and Met MGL both have an aluminium drive gear/brass pinion gear. This is perhaps what causes the issue of gear vibration after prolonged use. My 13 Met has this problem, which can only be fixed temporarily by greasing. The brass micro module gears in the Conquests don't seem to suffer from this issue.

fishermun
Angler
Angler

Post by fishermun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:59 am

I think I've read on here that ZPI "medium" grease will help?

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 am

If you are comfortable taking the reel apart check the main gear with a magnifying glass to see if there is any abnormal wear. If so then replace both the main and pinion gears.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 am

quite often the one way clutch bearing is overlooked as a culprit for unwanted roughness in reels. I know of a case with a metanium where bearings and gears were changed and the problem ended up being the one way clutch bearing.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:05 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:quite often the one way clutch bearing is overlooked as a culprit for unwanted roughness in reels. I know of a case with a metanium where bearings and gears were changed and the problem ended up being the one way clutch bearing.
this^

The bearing under the main gear is usually a bastage in saltwater reels.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:20 pm

I replaced all the bearings, including the roller clutch bearing, and also put in a new gear set. Super smooth for a few outings and then the vibration came back. Convinced it is a 'feature' of the alloy/brass gear set. No such issue with my Conquest 100HG, which has all brass gears.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 am

So sad, after you replaced almost everything you could, it still not resolved the root cause of vibration... I guess the frame manufacturing tolerances is the only one left to blame. someone likes those feeling and calls it "connection feeling" but I am not. ](*,)

I also tried to use thick shimano grease and it only resolved the problem for a while. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I haven't broken any micro gear yet. But with my imagination, if anything little gear teeth is broken or worn out, micro gear will make you feel that "connection feeling" stronger. But I could be wrong and I hope this never comes to me.

Happy Fishing~~~~
Strewth wrote:I replaced all the bearings, including the roller clutch bearing, and also put in a new gear set. Super smooth for a few outings and then the vibration came back. Convinced it is a 'feature' of the alloy/brass gear set. No such issue with my Conquest 100HG, which has all brass gears.
Last edited by alafly on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"North" of America...

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:43 am

Hate to hear that nothing will fix the problem for you. This is one reason I speak so highly of the CI4, it has never had any of the problems the Metanium has. The gear set in my Met I use in the salt has a few imperfections in the gear teeth, and I also just cleaned a buddies Met MGL and it had the same marks on the gear teeth. I use CorrosionX grease, and they feel very smooth cranking even with the chipped gear teeth.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:35 am

Strewth wrote:I replaced all the bearings, including the roller clutch bearing, and also put in a new gear set. Super smooth for a few outings and then the vibration came back. Convinced it is a 'feature' of the alloy/brass gear set. No such issue with my Conquest 100HG, which has all brass gears.
I have a Citica 201HG that has been giving me fits. When I first used the reel it was smooth, but after a few trips the reel started to get noisy and felt very rough during the retrieve. I returned the reel to Shimano and they replaced a few bearings. When I received the reel back from Shimano the reel was smooth again for a couple of trips but it became rough again. The reel went back to Shimano again. This time the reel came back with new gears and a couple of new bearings. Like before the reel was smooth at first but then became rough again. For the third time I shipped the reel back to Shimano. The reel came back with all new bearings. Surprise, the reel was smooth but quickly became rough again. I gave up on the reel because the warranty expired. Right now it is the loudest and roughest reel that I own. I use the reel for Chatterbaits because the lures vibration hides the rough gears. I honestly think there is something out of wack with this reel that is causing all the problems.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Hate to hear that nothing will fix the problem for you. This is one reason I speak so highly of the CI4, it has never had any of the problems the Metanium has. The gear set in my Met I use in the salt has a few imperfections in the gear teeth, and I also just cleaned a buddies Met MGL and it had the same marks on the gear teeth. I use CorrosionX grease, and they feel very smooth cranking even with the chipped gear teeth.
I have tried a variety of greases - Cals, ACE2, Superlube, CorrosionX - and they all work for a short time. But the gear vibration always returns after a trip or two. No more alloy gears for me. My Scorpion XT1000 and Calais 100A are much smoother, even after years of use. I like the fact that the CI4 has brass gears, but wish it had an aluminium frame and side plates....

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:12 am

I bought a curado 70 from Japan , NIB. The reel felt geary right out of the box. I ordered a new gear set from shimano (same part # as the curado i gear set) it fixed the problem...so , whatever money I saved by ordering it from Japan was lost on the new gear set.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Shimano technical support staff has been crying behind this sad story... lol

They should give you another brand new reel when it was the first service time
joekaz wrote:
I have a Citica 201HG that has been giving me fits. When I first used the reel it was smooth, but after a few trips the reel started to get noisy and felt very rough during the retrieve. I returned the reel to Shimano and they replaced a few bearings. When I received the reel back from Shimano the reel was smooth again for a couple of trips but it became rough again. The reel went back to Shimano again. This time the reel came back with new gears and a couple of new bearings. Like before the reel was smooth at first but then became rough again. For the third time I shipped the reel back to Shimano. The reel came back with all new bearings. Surprise, the reel was smooth but quickly became rough again. I gave up on the reel because the warranty expired. Right now it is the loudest and roughest reel that I own. I use the reel for Chatterbaits because the lures vibration hides the rough gears. I honestly think there is something out of wack with this reel that is causing all the problems.
"North" of America...

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 am

alafly wrote:Shimano technical support staff has been crying behind this sad story... lol

They should give you another brand new reel when it was the first service time
joekaz wrote:
I was hoping for a new reel all three times. :( In a crazy twist my bad luck has continued. Last spring I bought a new Curado 71XG and in the fall I noticed the drag was screwed up and the retrieve was geary so a few weeks ago I sent it to Shimano. When the reel came back the drag was fixed and all the bearings were replaced. Only problem was the reel made a crazy noise when reeling under load. I sent the reel back but this time I received a new reel. Great, except this reel his rougher while reeling then the original reel. ](*,) To top it off the pinion bearing failed on my new Scorpion 71XG. (used twice) Luckily I ordered an extra bearing a month ago when the pinion bearing went bad in my Met 13. I just can't catch a break!

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbfisherman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 am

Wow that is crazy bad luck, I have used my 70XG like crazy last year. Still smooth for me! It was my by far most used reel last season. I hope your luck changes! I have a Met MGL I got new over the winter season, this may be my new star of the year, we will see. :lol: I also did get a Conquest 100, so it could be a toss up on who gets the most time on the water.