Metanium MGL geary feeling?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium MGL geary feeling?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10 pm

I have a Met 13, MGL and Calcutta Conquest 2015 101hg.

Nothing I have ever owned has been as smooth as the Conquest.

Out of the 3 it goes CQ, MGL then the 13.

RideauReelr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RideauReelr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:33 pm

First post :D I have had two Metaniums...sold them. And now I have two MGLs. One is XG and the other is a regular. Both feel geary if the tension cap is tigthened beyond any side to side wiggle. I think other posters are right about the gear material. I recently bought a Chronarch MGL XG which feels much better; all brass. I will see if the gears are interchangeable between the Met and Chronarch. Slight drop in speed, but it would be worth it to get a smooth reel. If that doesnt work it I will sell again. Call me picky but for the price they should be perfect.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 am

RideauReelr wrote:First post :D I have had two Metaniums...sold them. And now I have two MGLs. One is XG and the other is a regular. Both feel geary if the tension cap is tigthened beyond any side to side wiggle. I think other posters are right about the gear material. I recently bought a Chronarch MGL XG which feels much better; all brass. I will see if the gears are interchangeable between the Met and Chronarch. Slight drop in speed, but it would be worth it to get a smooth reel. If that doesnt work it I will sell again. Call me picky but for the price they should be perfect.
Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, they will not swap. Chronarch gears are smaller than Metaniums.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
RideauReelr wrote:First post :D I have had two Metaniums...sold them. And now I have two MGLs. One is XG and the other is a regular. Both feel geary if the tension cap is tigthened beyond any side to side wiggle. I think other posters are right about the gear material. I recently bought a Chronarch MGL XG which feels much better; all brass. I will see if the gears are interchangeable between the Met and Chronarch. Slight drop in speed, but it would be worth it to get a smooth reel. If that doesnt work it I will sell again. Call me picky but for the price they should be perfect.
Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, they will not swap. Chronarch gears are smaller than Metaniums.
what about the brass gear set from the antares 12?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 pm

I have 2 mgls and 2 met13 and i use zpi medium grease and i don't have any issues , smooth as silk and i am very picky about my reels

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 pm

after using relatively limp hybrid line then moving to braid, I notice a bit more vibration in the reel when using braid but I don't equate to the gear. I have done head to head tests between the CI4 and met's bouncing light shaky heads off chunk rock and the Met will emit more vibration making it to me the superior bottom bouncing reel. If the gear or any part of the reel is not perfect, I have no doubt you would feel it through the frame more then on the CI4. How much more I guess depends on the hand as this is a dialog similar to sensitivity.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:08 am

DavidSA wrote:after using relatively limp hybrid line then moving to braid, I notice a bit more vibration in the reel when using braid but I don't equate to the gear. I have done head to head tests between the CI4 and met's bouncing light shaky heads off chunk rock and the Met will emit more vibration making it to me the superior bottom bouncing reel. If the gear or any part of the reel is not perfect, I have no doubt you would feel it through the frame more then on the CI4. How much more I guess depends on the hand as this is a dialog similar to sensitivity.
It's funny how we all see and feel things different. I've felt the CI4 frame allowed vibrations to resonate through the reel much better since it's basically made of the same material as the fishing rod. This is something I never felt before with my aluminum and magnesium reels, and something I noticed right away. The magnesium is much more dense than the CI4 material, so it would make sense to be less sensitive. I know it's not important, since the NRX rods these reels sit on leave no doubt if you had a bite or not, but worth noting.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:11 am

phatbass wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Good question, hadn't even thought about that swap. I'll break down my Antares HG soon and check that out, it would be awesome to use those gears in the Met.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:19 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
phatbass wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Good question, hadn't even thought about that swap. I'll break down my Antares HG soon and check that out, it would be awesome to use those gears in the Met.
that would be sweet if they work,and the weight difference would be no biggie. can't wait to hear back on your findings

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:46 am

Ditto. I'll order a couple of sets if the HG gears fit.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:49 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
DavidSA wrote:after using relatively limp hybrid line then moving to braid, I notice a bit more vibration in the reel when using braid but I don't equate to the gear. I have done head to head tests between the CI4 and met's bouncing light shaky heads off chunk rock and the Met will emit more vibration making it to me the superior bottom bouncing reel. If the gear or any part of the reel is not perfect, I have no doubt you would feel it through the frame more then on the CI4. How much more I guess depends on the hand as this is a dialog similar to sensitivity.
It's funny how we all see and feel things different. I've felt the CI4 frame allowed vibrations to resonate through the reel much better since it's basically made of the same material as the fishing rod. This is something I never felt before with my aluminum and magnesium reels, and something I noticed right away. The magnesium is much more dense than the CI4 material, so it would make sense to be less sensitive. I know it's not important, since the NRX rods these reels sit on leave no doubt if you had a bite or not, but worth noting.
I came across this somewhat randomly. I'd had the CI4 for months mounted on a NRX894. When I get a 13Met I mounted it on a second 894, same line, same lure and went to my local pond to test casting distance with light lures. Fish were biting pretty well and the chunk rock around the bank gave me lots of objects to bounce lures off of. After about 30 minutes, I felt distinct things from the Met combo I was not feeling or had felt on the CI4. I came back subsequent evenings that week with same and different lures.

In addition to each persons perception, the way we hold the reel could be a factor.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
phatbass wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Any chance you have had time to check into this?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 am

DavidSA wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
I came across this somewhat randomly. I'd had the CI4 for months mounted on a NRX894. When I get a 13Met I mounted it on a second 894, same line, same lure and went to my local pond to test casting distance with light lures. Fish were biting pretty well and the chunk rock around the bank gave me lots of objects to bounce lures off of. After about 30 minutes, I felt distinct things from the Met combo I was not feeling or had felt on the CI4. I came back subsequent evenings that week with same and different lures.

In addition to each persons perception, the way we hold the reel could be a factor.
Very true. You've tested them against each other quite a bit, I've only swapped back and forth a few times and wasn't dragging baits on the bottom. My results were based on fishing a jerkbait, and feeling those bites on a long pause. Your results are much more clearly defined.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
phatbass wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Any chance you have had time to check into this?
Not yet. Those freshwater only reels stay in my boat 2.5 hours away. Plan to go to the lake and bring one back with me, hopefully this weekend.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 am

JBcrankaddict wrote: Not yet. Those freshwater only reels stay in my boat 2.5 hours away. Plan to go to the lake and bring one back with me, hopefully this weekend.

Thank you sir!