Brand new Aldebaren 51 HG not smooth

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Bogman
Angler
Angler

Brand new Aldebaren 51 HG not smooth

Post by Bogman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:36 am

Hey guys I've been away form the site for a while, took a break from buying all kinds of tackle but I'm back into it it seems...

Just received an aldebaren 51 hg from japan lure shop and it is not what I was expecting at all.

I played with the reel in store before ordering and just loved it, super smooth and light, but mine is not smooth... At all. It makes a terrible sound on the retrieve that seems like parts are sliding past one another, like rubbing two pieces of plastic together.

Compared to my chronarch 51, curado e7, and others it feels and SOUNDS like absolute crap. It is very noisy. Not so nice for 400+ Canadian dollars and my first high end reel.

Of course I have no warranty and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same. I'm going to break it down and take a look and see what I can find but I'm not optimistic.

Anyone else at all have something similar happen??

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Brand new Aldebaren 51 HG not smooth

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:49 am

Mine is super smooth still after 2 years and no servicing. The gears may be dry as it seems a few shimanos have been reported as being dry lately.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:57 am

mine is smooth too after about a year. take it apart and degrease/lube.

Bogman
Angler
Angler

Post by Bogman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 am

Well at least your reels have held up.

I just broke it down, cleaned everything up and re-greased the gearset, flushed and oiled both AR bearing and spool bearings. Reel still makes the exact same sound and feels like its rubbing against something on the handle. The gearing itself is quieter now though after greasing.

Are both your reels silent when reeling or is there sort of a constant sssssshhhhhhh sound coming from the handle side? It's not all that loud if I didn't know better but when I compare it to my chronarch and curados it is A LOT louder. My chronarch 51 is silent and smooth as silk.

Really frustrated and bummed out now :evil:

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 am

It isn't the edge of the spool rubbing against the frame of the reel?

try tightening up the CC knob so there's no play and the spool

Bogman
Angler
Angler

Post by Bogman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 am

CC knob doesn't have any effect on the sound, I tried that right away to no avail. The spool isn't rubbing, makes the sound when turning the handle without the spool in. I wish it was something like that but it's just weird.

I'm thinking that the sound is just the way it is and I have to live with it. I tested a bunch of possibilities for different parts rubbing and it makes the sound no matter what. The only other possibility is the line guide sliding back and forth but I'm not breaking the reel down that far again to test it.

The reel is very smooth now from a gearing and internals perspective, but that sound is throwing me right off. When I say smooth I mean I can't even tell it has gears.

Court
Angler
Angler

Post by Court » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 am

You might look at the () shims under the handle to make sure that they were not installed like ((, that may reduce the spacing and allow sum rubbing in that area. Do you know what I'm trying to say?

Bogman
Angler
Angler

Post by Bogman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:49 am

I know exactly what you're trying to say. On this reel there is only one shim and a flat washer and I definitely have them installed correctly. I was surprised to only see one shim but I looked at the schematic and there's only one shown.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:54 am

Sounds a lot like the lower pinion bearing to me, fairly simple to replace and is usually 8x12x3.5. May have been damaged upon installation. Is it quiet when you disengge and spin the spool?

Court
Angler
Angler

Post by Court » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:01 am

Not familiar with the way the handle is secured on that reel, can you back off one turn on the handle nut? The way you describe the sound and area, it must be right there.

Bogman
Angler
Angler

Post by Bogman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am

I'm assuming the lower pinion is the inner most bearing on the pinion. If so, then yes that could be it. I didn't break the reel down that far because I didn't think of a bearing. Makes no noise when I disengage and spin the spool which makes sense I think. I will inspect the bearing and order one if need be. Thanks a lot for that I really hadn't thought a bearing could be bad.

I really explored the handle in various stages of disassembly because that was my thought too but it just can't be handle related because I had the handle completely off turning the spool with the dragstar and it still made the noise. It's gotta be something internal at this point because there's no other possible explanation.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:20 am

Hey Bogman, Keep in mind that the new SVS breaking does kinda make that sshhhh sound as you mentioned. Especially noticeable when in a quiet room. You may not have noticed it while in store as there may been ambient noise. The new Mets make a similar noise. Could be normal. Do you notice this sound while fishing and does it cast well. If it does then it could be fine. My buddy complained about the same thing and all was good in reality. Just my 2 cents

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 pm

The worst case is you spend some shipping and it should have no problem to return it to JLS.

BTW, a small video will be much better than thousands of words to understand the real problem.
Bogman wrote:Hey guys I've been away form the site for a while, took a break from buying all kinds of tackle but I'm back into it it seems...

Just received an aldebaren 51 hg from japan lure shop and it is not what I was expecting at all.

I played with the reel in store before ordering and just loved it, super smooth and light, but mine is not smooth... At all. It makes a terrible sound on the retrieve that seems like parts are sliding past one another, like rubbing two pieces of plastic together.

Compared to my chronarch 51, curado e7, and others it feels and SOUNDS like absolute crap. It is very noisy. Not so nice for 400+ Canadian dollars and my first high end reel.

Of course I have no warranty and was wondering if anyone else experienced the same. I'm going to break it down and take a look and see what I can find but I'm not optimistic.

Anyone else at all have something similar happen??
"North" of America...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 am

Some kid on youtube had a short video review of his take on an Aldebaran and it was similar to your issues. Just said it was rough and loud, straight out of the box.
His was an American model though so he claimed he was sending it back. Younger kid, might have to search Aldebaran review or something, I don't have the link for you.

Bogman
Angler
Angler

Post by Bogman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks for the the input guys, you're all awesome.

I made a video as suggested, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM5pCM4 ... e=youtu.be

For anyone who has this reel...If the sound seems normal, don't be afraid to tell me I'm going crazy, I just wasn't expecting this level of noise when all my other shimanos are practically silent.

If you don't think I'm crazy then any advice would be great. :lol: