What replaced the Pixy?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What replaced the Pixy?

Post by reelblues » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Back in the day, I got heavy into finesse for bass. I ended up with around 15 Pixy reels, about 10 for collecting and 5 for use. I finesse fished but also put heavy line on and pitched jigs. Anyway, I retired and fish a different lake now where I almost never finesse. I sold all my NIB Pixy's a few years ago. As I slowed down, I have been selling some others, getting down to keeping 3 or so. I am surpised at how little they sell for now. I just sold a very nice one, with drag upgrade, for $100. That got me thinking, there must be something out there that is inexpensive that can do what the Pixy does. I really haven't kept up with finesse reels, or any other, for a while. So, what replaced the Pixy? The PX 68? Does Bass Pro have a reel that can cast 1/8 oz well? I'm just curious as this was the reel that got me hooked on JDM so many years ago.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What replaced the Pixy?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Nothing really. They just stopped the SV105/Alphas line. Personally think the Pixy was the better of the finesse reels compared to the newer versions.
<")))><{

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 pm

The new spools changed the landscape
Between the sv and various finesse spools,any tdz,Steez,t3 turns into a finesse machine
If you change your mind,simply pop the original spool back in :D
It's no longer about the reel,spool is everything
Happiness is a sore thumb

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am

Closest thing would be the SS Air. Great BFS reel but not too popular in the BFS community probably due to the size compared to its competition. I think they should have just make a Pixy Air instead of the SS Air

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 am

Basically Daiwa canibalized itself with the SV spools and also with trying to save money and use the same frame. Alphas and SS basically. Yup like mentioned about they should have made a Pixy Air. I'd have one if they did.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 am

In my experience the alphas sv casted 1/8oz just as well as the pixy if the line and rod was equal. Too bad it seems they are discontinuing the series. I agree they should have just made a pixy/px air. If you step up to the air series reels they will do much better than the pixy with lightweights.

As for Bass Pro, they have shifted away from most Daiwa products except the tat ct so the sv series probably isnt an option from them. Other brands that can cast an 1/8 out of the box may be limited to the shimano 15 aldebaran which casted 3-4g lures pretty well when on a rod that would load correctly, even with 10lb flouro. Then possibly the new revo alx, mgx, and mgxtreme would be able to as well but I haven't tested any of them to be sure.

A cheaper option would be to grab a tatula ct (which was at BPS last time I was there) and get a DIY spool.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:26 am

going on the current market . the Alphas Air would be closest to the pixy for size as the alphas is the same frame but in alloy. and a 1mm increase in spool diameter. and its a finesse reel

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 am

With all the shallow spool options on many different reels, it's tough to make a standalone finesse reel.
I don't think anything would replace an actual pixy.

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:12 am

Personally I think it's a great reel. I had been using a 100 series Calcutta (the silver one), which was a nice reel for it's time (and still is). The low profile and weight are what I like the most. A PX68 on a Loomis IMX CR721 is a well balanced outfit.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 am

I don't agree that the Alpha SV casts and handles as well as my 3 Pixies. I may even sell it. Doesn't have the same charisma either.

I won't be "giving " my Pixies away for $100 either.

Got one on a Megabass Hedgehog, a 721, and a Cumulus. FC Sniper Biwako ( 5lb I think) and cast 3" Dingers on a weightless wacky hook. Sometimes put them on 702 Dobyns Extreme or Corkish 2 piece or St Croix Gulfcoast wader Light.

Magnificent pieces of machinery.

Like a Rolex Watch.

The others are like Casio digitals.

There are those that say the keep time just as well for about $20. They are right.

I'm just a peculiar old dude that has to have a " relationship", an emotional attachment to a reel in order to keep it.

The new replacements leave me cold.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 am

One of the Air reels from Daiwa (T3 Air, SS Air, and the Alphas Air (only true SW safe one due to non ported spool)). If you want a true limited reel SLP offers versions of the SS and T3.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com ... FbwzIOOUGA

http://japantackle.com/casting-reels/da ... s-air.html

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 am

What replaced the Pixy? Who cares? :lol:
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:27 am

I much prefer my Alphas SV over my Pixy Type R. Just as smooth but quieter and the SV outperforms the heavy Pixy stock spool at BFS and is eaiser to skip. Sorry Pixy.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:55 am

I think you need to factor in the exchange rate. It has driven down the cost of many reels. This is great if your a buyer, not so much if your the seller.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

Nothing replaced the Pixy, and nothing is replacing the Pixies in my lineup either. The Alphas air is nice, but it does not perform like my Pixillas.
The only reel that casts lighter than the Pixy is the 16 Alderbabran BFS XG imo.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.