How much are delivery fees on JDM rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How much are delivery fees on JDM rod?

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:27 am

I've bought a ton of reels overseas, but never a rod. I've heard mixed stories on experiences, so I know it can vary...but pall park what range? Is it ever free, ie just the shipping from dealer?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How much are delivery fees on JDM rod?

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:58 am

I've ordered many 2pc rods and those ship EMS. No customs or delivery fees on them. I've also ordered 6 one pc rods from jangler, Megabass, and digitaka. Those all shipped UPS. I never got dinged with any customs or UPS charges either. I've only ever paid for shipping directly to the seller at the time of checkout. Many others get pinched for every one pc rod. I'm inclined to think it depends where you live.

As a ball park, I mentally add about 20% to the final price of a rod at checkout incase I get pinched by UPS, and if it's still worth it, then I do it.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:26 am

Thanks...I probably won't ever do it, but saw a Daiwa I liked lol

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 am

Depending on the vendor, I've paid from $0-$55.
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 am

Depends where you get the rod and what shipping service. Out all the JDM rods Ive bought over the years (over 50) If its isnt free shipping, I have paid between $25-120 for shipping, and between $20-50 on duty (per rod). Rarely do I get away without paying duty. I can only remember 2-3 rods I didn't have to pay. Places like buyee/ jpan auctions sites, expect fees to be much higher.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

i have ordered 3 rods from japan (1 from each, jpangler, plat and megabass outlet) and was hit with duty on 2 of them, each time it was between $25-30. i pretty much just factor $30 extra into the price of the rod im buying to cover duty, and if it doesnt get hit, i am happier!

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Frosty wrote:I've bought a ton of reels overseas, but never a rod. I've heard mixed stories on experiences, so I know it can vary...but pall park what range? Is it ever free, ie just the shipping from dealer?
Shimreels on ebay has free shipping on rods. I ordered an Evergreen rod from him and got it within 3 or 4 days sent fedex express. Package was curved when I got it :shock: :shock: , but the rod was intact, thanks in part of the shower curtain type rod it was tied to. :lol: I've noticed a few other Japanese sellers doing the same occasionally.

Be careful using buyee. I won an auction (via yahoo.jp) and the shipping that they charged me as about $175. :evil: Had I known ahead of time...Thankfully, it was a hard to find Megabass rod that I really wanted so the great auction deal turned out to be just pretty good once I paid that much for shipping.

Sites like Samuraitackle, Japanlureshop, etc. will estimate the shipping ahead of time at least. Their shipping is usually about $60ish.

EDIT: I've never had to pay duty fees (I'm in Atlanta). Others on the site can chime in with that for you...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Buyee hit me for $200 shipping and the rod came in factory, thin walled, triangular Megabass box. My Super Trickster and Fanatista Deez came in the same tube together for $110 from bass.co.jp. Generally speaking I would expect to pay around $100 to have a one piece rod shipped from japan. Some places may be cheaper than that while others will be more expensive. Either way, I'd recommend purchasing through a reputable pro shop rather than on an auction site through an export service.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:48 am

Thanks fellas. It was an idea I was kicking around, but with those odds and those fees I'm not out. That and I can secure really strong buys on NRX and GLX locally I don't really have a reason to import. But none of us have a need for JDM, especially back in the day when the dollar was down....but most of us are cursed with the same affliction :lol:

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:13 am

High shipping cost and duty fees seem ridiculous. But when you have your eyes set on something that start to appear in your dreams and haunt you in sleeps, they really dont mean anything anymore. Same goes for the jdm rod warranty

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 am

import fees for jdm rods are relatively high (my experience $50-$200 a shipment), i typically favor buying a few rods at one time to save shipping costs, i wonder if japanese anglers ask the same question (when considering importing usdm rods) :-k

dogfightmore
Angler
Angler

Post by dogfightmore » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:47 am

Frosty wrote:I've bought a ton of reels overseas, but never a rod. I've heard mixed stories on experiences, so I know it can vary...but pall park what range? Is it ever free, ie just the shipping from dealer?
I've bought a dozen rods from Japan and the cost isn't bad. It really boils down to total cost at the end for me. I.e If Megabass/Daiwa/Shimano is offering a rod for the US market, most of the time you can get the same rod for significantly cheaper price; shipping, duty fees included from Japan- it becomes a no brainer for me. Most people who buy JDM, buy because, obviously, it's not sold on the US market. Me, I' buy from Japan strictly to save money, most of the time.
lzeil wrote:import fees for jdm rods are relatively high (my experience $50-$200 a shipment), i typically favor buying a few rods at one time to save shipping costs, i wonder if japanese anglers ask the same question (when considering importing usdm rods) :-k
What could we possibly have that's in "high demand" in Japan?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 am

dogfightmore wrote:What could we possibly have that's in "high demand" in Japan?
NRX maybe?

Peter_Chao48
Angler
Angler

Post by Peter_Chao48 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

Has anyone bought a rod from Global Rakuten Market or SamuraiBuyer or any sites like those? If so, can you tell me about the shipping charges? or the duty charges? Is it one payment that includes shipping or do they charge you again after the initial payment for the rod? They have a really good deal on a rod but I'm afraid I'll be charged a ridiculous amount. Thanks

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:27 pm

You guys buying rods shipped from Japan are hardcore! I couldn't deal with the shipping handling anxiety aspect. Let alone the costs