Team Daiwa Z 103H Type R vs. R+

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Team Daiwa Z 103H Type R vs. R+

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:31 am

When it comes to both reels, can someone please explain the true difference besides a slight ease of casting ability for the mainstream angler with the R+? Which reel is better and/or are they somewhat equal and cosmetically different? Where does the Ito fit in with these reels? With the NIB versions, what came with the reel aside from manual and plastic reel bag? Did oil come with these models or was it omitted since they already were Type-R tuned versions? Thank you!

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Team Daiwa Z 103H Type R vs. R+

Post by Westbankcougar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:46 am

To my understanding the TDZ-ITO is has the Type R spool with all the good looks from ITO design.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 am

Type-R have a tapered red inductor. This is the same inductor as is on the ito. The TD-Ito and Type-R are mechanically the same save for some porting on the ito. The Type-R+ has the same inductor with a ridge at the bottom of the taper that controls the spool more. They are also identical to the Type-R save for some porting. They all came with oil stock. My personal favorite spool is the R+.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am

Are spools interchangeable for both? Also, I have the opportunity to get a Type-R that is truly NIB but there is no oil and everything else comes with the reel including the plastic bag for the reel. I wasn't sure if they came with oil so I thought I would ask. Thank you!

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 am

Yes the spools are interchangeable. So many spool options with TDZ reels.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:19 am

They came with oil when new in the box, and Teal nailed it with the differences!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:24 am

The Type-R+ spool was also stock in the original Steez 103H/L
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am

So how does the Type R compare? I have an opportunity to pick up a NIB Type R (without the oil) but literally everything else is NIB so what would a good price for this reel in that condition be? Should I get a Type R+ or is this reel an awesome one? Thanks so much!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:39 am

Big-Bass wrote:So how does the Type R compare? I have an opportunity to pick up a NIB Type R (without the oil) but literally everything else is NIB so what would a good price for this reel in that condition be? Should I get a Type R+ or is this reel an awesome one? Thanks so much!
Do you want to use it or keep it on the shelf? If you want a great reel to use regularly, I'd get an R+ over a Type R. I'm not the best in the world with a Type R spool, but I'm not the worst either, and that's a tough beast to tame for me. The R+ in my opinion took the best of the Type R spool and achieved an ideal balance of user friendliness with a trained thumb and impressive capability. The R+ is a better looking reel than the standard Type R in my eyes too.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:48 pm

If given the choice between the R+ and R, I'd take the R+. It's one of my favorites for long casting and pitching with good control. The ize personal orders also come with the R+ tuned spool. My steez 103hla has a dimpled R+ spool, but it was too wild for me. With fluoro it was almost unusable, but much better with braid.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:02 am

masterbass wrote:If given the choice between the R+ and R, I'd take the R+. It's one of my favorites for long casting and pitching with good control. The ize personal orders also come with the R+ tuned spool. My steez 103hla has a dimpled R+ spool, but it was too wild for me. With fluoro it was almost unusable, but much better with braid.
It's important to note that the Steez has a different magnet setup than the TD-Z and has less magnetic force acting on the inductor. The Steez spool got a bad rap because of this while the same spool in a TD-Z is gold.

I also believe the Steez spool is A7075 Aluminum like the AOI R+ spool that is Duralumin and not Gigas like the TD-Z version, although I havent weighed a Steez 103 spool yet to see if there is a discernible difference.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:01 am

If using the stock spools I get better performance with the R+ as in my hands the extra amount of breaking and thumbing I have to use to tame the R spool more than offsets the benefit. The R+ still has great performance without as much wildness.

But if you change the spool in a type R to a more controllable one like a ZPI spool or SV spool it tames it. That is what I did with my Ito to make it more user friendly.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:42 am

Teal101 wrote:
masterbass wrote:If given the choice between the R+ and R, I'd take the R+. It's one of my favorites for long casting and pitching with good control. The ize personal orders also come with the R+ tuned spool. My steez 103hla has a dimpled R+ spool, but it was too wild for me. With fluoro it was almost unusable, but much better with braid.
It's important to note that the Steez has a different magnet setup than the TD-Z and has less magnetic force acting on the inductor. The Steez spool got a bad rap because of this while the same spool in a TD-Z is gold.

I also believe the Steez spool is A7075 Aluminum like the AOI R+ spool that is Duralumin and not Gigas like the TD-Z version, although I havent weighed a Steez 103 spool yet to see if there is a discernible difference.

The first time I tried to cast my steez 103 with fluoro, I had a backlash of monumental proportions :lol: . Ultimately, I had to cut the line off. Braid was better, though I ended up putting a 1016 in it and haven't looked back. The R+ in the tdz is almost perfect though.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:54 am

How about from a collector's standpoint? Type R or R+? Since the Type R and Ito are essentially the same performance wise and many folks out there have Ito's...why don't more people have Type R's? Do most who have an Ito change out the spool or use it stock? Is it because they (Type R's )were only made in 2002 until the R+ came out in 2004? If I get one, it will most likely reside in a reel display case. But I do want a standard TD-Z that is in working original stock order if someone has one so I could use it as a daily workhorse. Thanks for all the help and answering all my many questions!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:07 am

Last edited by Big-Bass on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.