Getting into BFS - TT Help Please

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Getting into BFS - TT Help Please

Post by papabassin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:09 am

Hey TT Members!

I am looking at getting my first BFS setup and wanted to make sure I did it right on the first go around. I have been doing quite a bit of looking and here is what I came up with as a potential setup. (P.S. I feel like I may be going to the darkside...whoops ](*,) )

Rod: 2015 MajorCraft MS-X Limited MLC-67L/BF
I also saw the thread on MajorCraft coming to the States. I saw they have a Speedstyle 6'8"+L that looks mighty nice. I could save some coin on going that direction. Does anyone have experience with either/both the Speedstyle and MS-X Limited? How much better of a stick is the MS-X Limited?

Reel: 2016 Shimano Aldebaren BFS XG
I would say my runner-up choice was the Daiwa SS Air.

Line: 7.3# Seaguar Finesse Fluoracarbon
Do I run straight fluoro? If so, does anyone put a thin layer of braid backing on? Or do I run like 10# braid and tie on a fluoro leader?

I put my budget right at $1,000. Although I am well under that, it leaves the door open for that Luxxe Oltre I have been eyeing like crazy. :lol: Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Just want to have peace of mind before pulling the trigger on these...

Thanks!
Shawn

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Getting into BFS - TT Help Please

Post by JerryC » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:29 am

Great choices and if you can save $$ on the deal then its a win win situation
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:27 am

Sounds like you're on your way to putting together a great combo. One thing that I have noticed in my BFS journey is that the path is split. Let me try and explain.

On one hand there guys out there standing on the deck of a bass boat that use BFS to roll cast and pitch small plastics and jigs sending them skipping all the way to their target. In this instance BFS usually takes the form of fast or extra fast tapers with powerful backbones paired to Daiwa reels with air brake or fixed induction rotors (inductor) and fluorocarbon line.

On the other hand there are guy out there standing on the bank trying to throw tiny hardbaits as far a possible. Their BFS usually takes the form of more moderately tapered rods and/or UL powers commonly paired to Shimano reels with very small diameter braid.

The amusing thing is that the two camps appear to be almost completely unaware of each other. As such, it is important to understand that there are two schools of thought here and what school you'll likely belong to. For instance it would be unfortunate to buy a BFS stick upon the high recommendation of a self proclaimed BFS professed expert only to discover that it's too noodly and moderate for your application or vice versa. The two paths here aren't guidelines that one has to follow but are just two patterns that I have seen emerge in BFS. You don't have to stand at the fork in the road scratching your head trying to figure out what path you want to take. You can do both. I do a bit of both and have moderate tapered rods I use to bomb tiny hardbaits as well as solid carbon tip extra fast rods with a lot of power for accurate bait placement to cover with the ability to pull fish out from under it.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:18 am

That's quite the starter BFS combo... I think the msx limited has a better blank and better guides vs the speed style. What kind of lures and how low will you be throwing?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:47 am

Like said above:

I use 2 BFS setups.

1. UL BFS-
Reel: 2016 Aldebaran BFS XG with KTF spool plus micro bearings.
Rod: Phenix Mirage UL Custom. 6'1" Moderate.
Line: 8lb Gliss
Uses: Micro Cranks and tiny panfish jigs 1/32oz - 1/16. Will also thow spinners. Pretty much the smallest of lures.

2. "Traditional" BFS-
Reel: Daiwa Alphas AIR
Rod: St Croix Legend Elite Custom. 7'0" Lite. Fast with some backbone.
Line: 7lb Sniper
Uses: Larger panfish jigs, small bass jigs (1/16ish heads), small weightless plastics, small jerkbaits. Pretty much all things between the Mirage and an NRX 852c.

I have tried plenty of different setups. The Aldebaran with the KTF spool is the best for casting the small stuff. The upgrade over the stock spool was huge, and I didn't think it could get better that the stick spool until I took the plunge. Even more contol and ease to cast light weights than the stock spool. With the Mirage and Aldebaran, I can cast a Northland 1/32oz Mimic Fry...with ease. I had to whip it with the stock spool and there wasn't much control. The KTF spool did it WAY better. Nice little roll cast flicks the lure with ease. I was considering building a solid tip for my Mirage prior to using the KTF spool because I thought the rod was the limiting factor.

The AIR/Legend Elite setup I like as well. It has a faster tip and more backbone than the Mirage. The Legend Elite is super sensitive as well. The light tip throws lures well and the backbone helps "horse" fish.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:43 pm

ccass wrote:Like said above:

I use 2 BFS setups.

1. UL BFS-
Uses: Micro Cranks and tiny panfish jigs 1/32oz - 1/16. Will also thow spinners. Pretty much the smallest of lures.

2. "Traditional" BFS-
Uses: Larger panfish jigs, small bass jigs (1/16ish heads), small weightless plastics, small jerkbaits. Pretty much all things between the Mirage and an NRX 852c.

I have tried plenty of different setups. The Aldebaran with the KTF spool is the best for casting the small stuff. The upgrade over the stock spool was huge, and I didn't think it could get better that the stick spool until I took the plunge. Even more contol and ease to cast light weights than the stock spool. With the Mirage and Aldebaran, I can cast a Northland 1/32oz Mimic Fry...with ease. I had to whip it with the stock spool and there wasn't much control. The KTF spool did it WAY better. Nice little roll cast flicks the lure with ease. I was considering building a solid tip for my Mirage prior to using the KTF spool because I thought the rod was the limiting factor.

The AIR/Legend Elite setup I like as well. It has a faster tip and more backbone than the Mirage. The Legend Elite is super sensitive as well. The light tip throws lures well and the backbone helps "horse" fish.
Do you have a link to where they are selling ktf spools for the 2016 bfs xg? Thanks!

My personal favorite combo is an bfs xg 2016 Aldebaran (5-7lb Sunline Sniper) paired with a Poison Glorious Cover trap. I have the 6'8" Speed style, and it is an awesome rod as well, have no issues with it in regards to sensitivity.

My BFS combos keep getting more and more expensive. I say go high end in the beginning so you won't have to keep upgrading later. BFS to me is much more enjoyable with the right reel and rod combo.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:42 am

LowRange wrote:On one hand there guys out there standing on the deck of a bass boat that use BFS to roll cast and pitch small plastics and jigs sending them skipping all the way to their target. In this instance BFS usually takes the form of fast or extra fast tapers with powerful backbones paired to Daiwa reels with air brake or fixed induction rotors (inductor) and fluorocarbon line.
ccass wrote: 2. "Traditional" BFS-

I am definitely seeing myself landing on this side of the spectrum...at least at first.

Thanks for the advice and explanations so far! I've learned a lot in just 24 hours! I really do appreciate it...

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 am

zodiak311 wrote:
ccass wrote:Like said above:

I use 2 BFS setups.

1. UL BFS-

2. "Traditional" BFS-

Do you have a link to where they are selling ktf spools for the 2016 bfs xg? Thanks!

My personal favorite combo is an bfs xg 2016 Aldebaran (5-7lb Sunline Sniper) paired with a Poison Glorious Cover trap. I have the 6'8" Speed style, and it is an awesome rod as well, have no issues with it in regards to sensitivity.

My BFS combos keep getting more and more expensive. I say go high end in the beginning so you won't have to keep upgrading later. BFS to me is much more enjoyable with the right reel and rod combo.
http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... S-16ALDE-P
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing