Best aftermarket BFS spool?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best aftermarket BFS spool?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 am

Panicra MR -22
Rapala UL Crank - 26
1/16 grub -20
1/32 grub - 14.5
#1 Panther Martin- 14
1/16 Rooster Tail -19

The test was taken real quick as it was raining out. Thise are average distances in yards. I didn't really tune the reel in for the baits nor put fresh oil in critical places. The reel has stock bearings as well ( they are pretty good).

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 pm

ccass wrote:Image

Panicra MR -22
Rapala UL Crank - 26
1/16 grub -20
1/32 grub - 14.5
#1 Panther Martin- 14
1/16 Rooster Tail -19

The test was taken real quick as it was raining out. Thise are average distances in yards. I didn't really tune the reel in for the baits nor put fresh oil in critical places. The reel has stock bearings as well ( they are pretty good).
Wow! Thanks for the info. 14.5yards for 1/32 is not bad at all.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:19 pm

I forgot to add, there was minimal wind.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 pm

i've had both an avail and a yumeya mg and much preferred the yumeya in my curado 51e. i ended up selling the avail and keeping the yumeya mg and love that spool.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:23 pm

jtgibso1 wrote:i've had both an avail and a yumeya mg and much preferred the yumeya in my curado 51e. i ended up selling the avail and keeping the yumeya mg and love that spool.
Awesome to hear! I did ended up with the Yumeya spool.

Just curious, which model of the Avail spool was it and also, what did you not like about the spool?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:24 pm

ccass wrote:
kinniyoubi wrote:
ccass wrote: I haven't measured any distances so I won't guess. I have a football field right by my place so I will measure the distance with various lures. I mainly use the Rapala UL series and the Rapala CD-1. I throw spinners and jigs as well. I use a 16 Aldebaran BFS XG for my reel.
Awesome! I was really tempted to get the 15 BFS XG Limited, have you thought about getting a aftermarket spool for it? If you do some testing, please include the distance for lures around 1/16oz.
Yeah. I will take a picture of all the lures used and I'll list the distance in yards. I like the 16 better than the 15 Aldebaran. I had a problem with my line getting caught between the spool and the frame. The mag brakes have more control as well. Still gets good distance too.
I had the same problem with line getting caught between the frame and spool with the stock spool but I never experienced any problems with the KTF spool.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
jtgibso1 wrote:i've had both an avail and a yumeya mg and much preferred the yumeya in my curado 51e. i ended up selling the avail and keeping the yumeya mg and love that spool.
Awesome to hear! I did ended up with the Yumeya spool.

Just curious, which model of the Avail spool was it and also, what did you not like about the spool?
sorry, just saw your question! i believe it was the 0915, but i can't remember. frankly it felt fragile. i wanted to put some 15lb braid on it, but thought it felt so fragile it would damage the spool. it had very very little line capacity. i'm sure it could be a nice spool for someone wanted to use something really light like 4 or 6lb mono, fluoro, etc. it just wasn't for me!

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:49 pm

jtgibso1 wrote:
sorry, just saw your question! i believe it was the 0915, but i can't remember. frankly it felt fragile. i wanted to put some 15lb braid on it, but thought it felt so fragile it would damage the spool. it had very very little line capacity. i'm sure it could be a nice spool for someone wanted to use something really light like 4 or 6lb mono, fluoro, etc. it just wasn't for me!
I see! Thanks for your reply. Never knew it would be so fragile, maybe thats why people tend to go KTF?

My Yumeya spool arrived today and i'll be using ~45m of 6lb mono with it. Never used mono -only on a spool before so this will be interesting because of the stretch.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:00 am

I'd like to see an extreme BFS spool. Like 30m of 6lb or even less. I've never had a problem with braid on fragile finesse spools.

hoskope
Angler
Angler

Post by hoskope » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:13 am

I wish there was some decent tests done between the brands. In Finland where i'm from we only use braid, and i have it on my all finesse spools. Latest spool i bought was Avail 936, works great with Aldebaran Mg7.

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 am

ccass wrote:I'd like to see an extreme BFS spool. Like 30m of 6lb or even less. I've never had a problem with braid on fragile finesse spools.
Yea, that would be interesting. My yumeya spool finally came and even after spooling it up with ~45m of 6lb mono. I have tons of space left over.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:59 am

I have a KTF spool in my 50E curado and I had more but seems like I have only the 34mm yumeya spool in my D7 and Iove them both. I can't say enough about the ktf.. I have been eyeing the DIY spools but i have not gotten one.. What I can say with certainty is that I was fishing extremely deep water with the Yumeya spool and braid and I could cast very very effortlessly and far 3/16th oz wighted rigs and the control is assume. The Same withe the KTF its my Casting drop shot spool.. don't see myself ever converting from spinning to casting without it..

kinniyoubi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kinniyoubi » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 pm

goldrod wrote:I have a KTF spool in my 50E curado and I had more but seems like I have only the 34mm yumeya spool in my D7 and Iove them both. I can't say enough about the ktf.. I have been eyeing the DIY spools but i have not gotten one.. What I can say with certainty is that I was fishing extremely deep water with the Yumeya spool and braid and I could cast very very effortlessly and far 3/16th oz wighted rigs and the control is assume. The Same withe the KTF its my Casting drop shot spool.. don't see myself ever converting from spinning to casting without it..
Really cant wait to get my setup up and running ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Just curious, what will I gain/lose if I use a shallow spool on a regular setup?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:17 am

D7 with yumeya spool for me was a gain esp with braid.
I don't even use backing and I am still good. Now I should mention the 50E/KTF set up is on the cork crucial ds casting rod and I have zero complaints with the set up. It has broaden my thoughts on what I can do with the set up

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:26 pm

kinniyoubi wrote:
Just curious, what will I gain/lose if I use a shallow spool on a regular setup?
I am about to find this out. I plan on putting my 32mm Yumeya spool into a Aldebaran Mg-7 and mount it on a Poison Glorious ML 6'4" Greyhound. The line that I will test with is 8LB Berkley Big Game mono. I want to see if my casting distance with this spool will be adequate enough for 3/8oz to 1/2oz Topwater lures.