Nautilus vs X7 Extreme Mission vs Red Demon

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Nautilus vs X7 Extreme Mission vs Red Demon

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:47 am

Houndfish wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:and then I went and cut off the trigger
Oh man, I have been agonizing over having the trigger removed on my topwater rod and it's only a Avid. How was it done, just cut off and refinished?
You guys are braver than I am.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:05 am

poisonokie wrote:
I am still in the planning phase. I did take my casting reel and tape it to a TN handled spinning rod and I think a triggerless casting rod will give me the grip I want but I don't know if I am willing to risk $200 to do it. I feel like I should have just bought the same blank before SC stopped selling them and have a custom built with a triggerless grip, I bet a barebones build would not have been much more then the retail on the factory rod I might end up ruining.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

Houndfish wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
I am still in the planning phase. I did take my casting reel and tape it to a TN handled spinning rod and I think a triggerless casting rod will give me the grip I want but I don't know if I am willing to risk $200 to do it. I feel like I should have just bought the same blank before SC stopped selling them and have a custom built with a triggerless grip, I bet a barebones build would not have been much more then the retail on the factory rod I might end up ruining.
I don't see myself ever wanting a rod sans trigger, but if I did I would gradually sand it down until I liked the feel and stop as opposed to just lopping it off Lorena Bobbit style.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:18 am

poisonokie wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
I don't see myself ever wanting a rod sans trigger, but if I did I would gradually sand it down until I liked the feel and stop as opposed to just lopping it off Lorena Bobbit style.
I had thought of that but don’t even know if the trigger is hollow or soild.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 am

Houndfish wrote:
I had thought of that but don’t even know if the trigger is hollow or soild.
I think they're usually one solid molded piece. Even if it is hollow it wouldn't hurt to find out through sanding it, you know?
This is the way.

Dutch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dutch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 am

interesting read. In 2014 I was looking for a do it all rod and was almost settled on the nautilus when I 'found' the EM. Not sure why exactly, but I ended up buying the EM. Apart from the looks, which are amazing, I wasn't that overwhelmed at start. I thought it was too fast and stiff for versatility and jerks, cranks, spinnerbaits and also sensitivity could have been better, I thought. I then used it mostly only for frogging, for which I really love it. recently I have started enjoying and appreciating it more and more for bottom contact and somehow sensitivity now seems great. not sure what, if any, are the differences compared to previous use which could explain the difference. will give jerks, cranks and spinnerbaits a second try soon. cannot compare it to the nautilus, but surprised to hear the nautilus should be more sensitive. seems unlikely from the specs.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Houndfish wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:and then I went and cut off the trigger
Oh man, I have been agonizing over having the trigger removed on my topwater rod and it's only a Avid. How was it done, just cut off and refinished?
If I am remembering correctly I just cut off the bulk of it with a bandsaw and then sanded it down until it was nice and smooth. Very glad I did. There is still enough of an indent to give a grip but the trigger doesn't get in the way at all. All my other rods still have the trigger but this is my primary worm / jig rod and I don't like having to move my hand around the trigger every pitch. On more skeleton type reel seats like this one it gets in the way more.

As far as sensitivity I have had a few Phase III rods, Nautius, Eiger Northwall, and Bearing Down. And a few X7s, Super Elseil, Super Eiger, and Diablo Fast Move. To me the X7s had slightly more sensitivity than the Phase III but very close as both series are highly sensitive rods. Not enough of a sensitivity difference for it to factor into which rod to buy. Close enough that to me even the comfort of a particular reel seat would matter more than any sensitivity difference.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm

hungry_cow wrote:
If I am remembering correctly...
Google translated: I was drunk when it went down...

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:02 pm

drewlesch wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:
I just decided since its appearance was already compromised from shortening the handle I minds well go all in with putting function over form and get rid of the trigger as well. But I have left all my other rods in normal stock condition.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:57 pm

drewlesch wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:
:lol: Bandsaws and beer DO NOT MIX.
This is the way.