Nautilus vs X7 Extreme Mission vs Red Demon

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Nautilus vs X7 Extreme Mission vs Red Demon

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:43 am

I got the Nautilus last fall as an all around longer MH rod to fish bottom contact as well as single hook moving baits with the ability to do about everything else in a pinch. Basically a more moderate action and versitile NRX 893. And it is absolutely perfect, exactly as I was hoping for, but with one exception. The more I fish it the more the length of the handle bothers me. It gets in the way a bit for pitching and if I want to snap the tip down for frogs or jerkbaits. And is just a little longer than I like for general casting.

My question is would the X7 Extreme Mission or Evoluzion F5.5 Red Demon be very similar in power and action but with a bit shorter handle?

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Nautilus vs X7 Extreme Mission vs Red Demon

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 am

Edit: changed my opinion on the two rods after more usage. Nautilus is more sensitive and slightly less power than x7em.
Last edited by Bass1980 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:46 pm

I own all three of the rods you mentioned. The Nautilus does have a real long handle (I don't mind it personally) but could see how it can be cumbersome. The Red Demon definitely has a shorter, more manageable handle, but is an inch longer and feels a little more unbalanced because of these differences if that's a concern to you. It's rated a half power heavier than the nautilus and feels it too. I don't have a ton of time on the water with either to truly compare the taper under load or otherwise. The RD kicks into its backbone more abruptly, and feels stouter, while the nautilus is more gradual. I would say the X7EM is more similar to the nautilus than the red demon is in terms of action and power (both F5s) and also has a shorter handle than the nautilus. Just get all three like I did - don't have to make choices if you have them all! \:D/

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:45 am

The RD is not as sensitive or light as Nautilus. More for moving baits with regular action.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:47 am

I've only had a couple of outings with my Nautilus and X7EM, so take it for what it is worth. I liked the Nautilus so much after two outings that I bought another one. Exactly as the OP stated, a slightly more moderate and versatile 893 with a higher lure rating. I love it for making long casts with single hook moving baits as well as bottom contact baits. Loads and casts very well. Agree that the handle might be long to jerk/walk, but 7'6" is too long for me to do that anyway.

I think I've actually only fished my EM once. It appeared faster to me than the Nautilus and didn't seem to load and cast as well. I may have had too light of a lure though as I believe it was a 5/16oz finesse jig and trailer. Sensitivity was good but I thought the Nautilus was a little better (again, lure weight and line could have made a difference). I'm surprised to hear that it is more moderate under load than the Nautilus. I guess if I would have caught something I could have tested it out!!!! :D I will add that it is the most beautiful rod that I own. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it!

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 am

I guess at least we agree that the Nautilus is more sensitive than the X7EM :
Last edited by Bass1980 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:21 am

This has got me thinking. The Nautilus is absolutely perfect for what I want as a do everything longer MH rod with the slight exception of the handle length. If I can't get used to it maybe I could get it professionally shortened just a bit. Is this something Otterods could do? I seem to have seen similar projects he has done very well.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:28 am

The less traumatic solution might be to surgically lengthen your forearm. A la Ethan Hawke's character in Gattaca. Modern medicine has drastically limited the healing time and risk of infection, year or two tops.

Abu Daimano
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Abu Daimano » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 am

I would also rather arm surgery over cutting the handle of a Nautilus - I can think of no greater sin aside from a shimano on A Megabass. Maybe just get used to the extra length? People have adjusted to worse.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 am

I will gladly buy it from you if you decide to sell it ;)
I'm sure he could do something of that nature. Do consider my proposition 1st though :lol: :lol:

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:32 am

drewlesch wrote:The less traumatic solution might be to surgically lengthen your forearm. A la Ethan Hawke's character in Gattaca. Modern medicine has drastically limited the healing time and risk of infection, year or two tops.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Just saw this really old thread but wanted to add that I did end up getting the Nautilus shortened a couple seasons ago. I got it shortened a little and a little weight added in the but end to keep the balance the same. I ended up making it a full frankenrod Nautilus having him add a hook keeper and then I went and cut off the trigger as it gets in the way for me when pitching sliding my hand up and down the rod each pitch. And I have to say I am extremely happy I got this done it is now the perfect do everything MH rod. Now I can pitch and flip with ease without the but catching my arm, and it works excellent for walking topwater baits with the shorter handle. If you are a taller guy like myself this rod with a shorter handle also is really a sleeper jerkbait rod. I just flat out catch more bass on a jerkbait with the Nautilus than any rod with the "proper" jerkbait specs. It isn't quite as pretty but it just fits me like a glove and is a total joy to use. I never leave without it and use it more than any other rod. The Javelin comes very close and is a little better rod for moving baits but there just isn't isn't anything I have found that matches my franken Nautilus as far as the whole package in a rod. Light, powerful, sensitive, long casting, accurate, perfect taper to hook fish and keep them pinned. Just has more "it" than any other rod I have used. Other rods may beat it slightly in one aspect, NRX 893 in sensitivity for example, but end up falling behind in the others.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 pm

hungry_cow wrote:Just saw this really old thread but wanted to add that I did end up getting the Nautilus shortened a couple seasons ago. I got it shortened a little and a little weight added in the but end to keep the balance the same. I ended up making it a full frankenrod Nautilus having him add a hook keeper and then I went and cut off the trigger as it gets in the way for me when pitching sliding my hand up and down the rod each pitch. And I have to say I am extremely happy I got this done it is now the perfect do everything MH rod. Now I can pitch and flip with ease without the but catching my arm, and it works excellent for walking topwater baits with the shorter handle. If you are a taller guy like myself this rod with a shorter handle also is really a sleeper jerkbait rod. I just flat out catch more bass on a jerkbait with the Nautilus than any rod with the "proper" jerkbait specs. It isn't quite as pretty but it just fits me like a glove and is a total joy to use. I never leave without it and use it more than any other rod. The Javelin comes very close and is a little better rod for moving baits but there just isn't isn't anything I have found that matches my franken Nautilus as far as the whole package in a rod. Light, powerful, sensitive, long casting, accurate, perfect taper to hook fish and keep them pinned. Just has more "it" than any other rod I have used. Other rods may beat it slightly in one aspect, NRX 893 in sensitivity for example, but end up falling behind in the others.
Wow sounds like you had a lot of work done to it. Bold move removing the trigger on it... i like it =D> . Sometimes that's the only way to be satisfied. Mine broke and I miss it, but I bought a javelin to take it's place. I really miss the foam grips and reel seat on it.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 am

hungry_cow wrote:and then I went and cut off the trigger
Oh man, I have been agonizing over having the trigger removed on my topwater rod and it's only a Avid. How was it done, just cut off and refinished?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:45 am

drewlesch wrote:The less traumatic solution might be to surgically lengthen your forearm. A la Ethan Hawke's character in Gattaca. Modern medicine has drastically limited the healing time and risk of infection, year or two tops.
:lol: Did he do that in that movie? I totally forgot about that part.
This is the way.