Anyone own the Zillion SV TW and SV 103

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anyone own the Zillion SV TW and SV 103

Post by Frosty » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:46 am

Curious to hear how they stack up performance-wise? And how much bigger or less palmable the SV TW is? The sv103 has the classic Zillion ergos, but the SV TW has lighter weight and the new gears.

Toneyang88
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Anyone own the Zillion SV TW and SV 103

Post by Toneyang88 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:38 am

I own none, nor do I have any experience with the two. However, I did play with both at a shop that had them rigged on a demo rod. As far as ergos go, the Zillion SV TW is a bit smaller. It is also wider to accommodate the TWS. I do own the standard Zillion TWS and right away was able to tell the difference. IMO I did not notice a huge difference in height between the Zillion TWS and the Zillion.
Performance wise, I fell in love with the TWS. I guess it'll come down to a love hate thing with the TWS and a standard line guide.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:26 am

Sorry, I'm totally not helpful on this thread.

However, Frosty, it sounds like you are cooking up a master plan of acquisitions. Please do share as I love to hear others' master plans - it makes me feel better about my own delusions of grandeur. :mrgreen:

And congrats on #73!! :offtopic:

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm

I have a zillion sv tws sh and its a winner. It palms well, smooth, built well and its a casting machine once you get the brakes dialed in. Also acquired a morethan pe sv recently and it may not be as refined or smooth as the other reels in the same price range, but once the brakes are dialed in it casts like a dream with braided line. The fact that they are made in thailand doesnt bother me at all. Very solid reels

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:13 pm

saoulons wrote:Sorry, I'm totally not helpful on this thread.

However, Frosty, it sounds like you are cooking up a master plan of acquisitions. Please do share as I love to hear others' master plans - it makes me feel better about my own delusions of grandeur. :mrgreen:

Yeah it's been a hell of a ride. From perennial door mat to dominating the league-just glad we have Steph on our side! And it's like this every year I try a ton of new stuff in spring...some sticks, some doesn't, but I always have my essentials covered :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Toneyang88 wrote:I own none, nor do I have any experience with the two. However, I did play with both at a shop that had them rigged on a demo rod. As far as ergos go, the Zillion SV TW is a bit smaller. It is also wider to accommodate the TWS. I do own the standard Zillion TWS and right away was able to tell the difference. IMO I did not notice a huge difference in height between the Zillion TWS and the Zillion.
Performance wise, I fell in love with the TWS. I guess it'll come down to a love hate thing with the TWS and a standard line guide.
He's referring to the 103, not the Zillion Tws. And by no means is the Zillion SV TW smaller than the 103. The 103 doesn't have Tws.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Toneyang88 wrote:I own none, nor do I have any experience with the two. However, I did play with both at a shop that had them rigged on a demo rod. As far as ergos go, the Zillion SV TW is a bit smaller. It is also wider to accommodate the TWS. I do own the standard Zillion TWS and right away was able to tell the difference. IMO I did not notice a huge difference in height between the Zillion TWS and the Zillion.
He's referring to the 103, not the Zillion Tws. And by no means is the Zillion SV TW smaller than the 103. The 103 doesn't have Tws.
I'm pretty sure I know where your loyalties lie :lol: I ordered the SV TW today, if the ergonomics are poor, I won't even cast it-I'll just pack it up and exchange for the SV103. The nearly 8oz bothers me more than it use to. Guess I'm becoming a little fussy ](*,)

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:41 pm

hey Frosty, this is TT, you know what you have to do!! Let us know how they compare. :big grin: \:D/

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:33 am

TommyG wrote:hey Frosty, this is TT, you know what you have to do!! Let us know how they compare. :big grin: \:D/
X 2 :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 am

Frosty wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I know where your loyalties lie :lol: I ordered the SV TW today, if the ergonomics are poor, I won't even cast it-I'll just pack it up and exchange for the SV103. The nearly 8oz bothers me more than it use to. Guess I'm becoming a little fussy ](*,)
Yeah, that was my train of thought and was holding me back from purchasing the 103. But let me tell ya, right reel on the right rod and you'll forget all about it. And this is the right reel. I just got back from fishing and I totally dig this reel. Super good casting, side arm flings to get under overhangs and what not with some skipping here and there, brakes set at 3 and absolutely trouble free. I'm going to order some Air bearings and a lighter drag star from Gary tonight. I even caught my very 1st pike this morning on my 103, so it has to be a winner.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:33 am

Frosty wrote:
saoulons wrote:Sorry, I'm totally not helpful on this thread.

Yeah it's been a hell of a ride. From perennial door mat to dominating the league-just glad we have Steph on our side! And it's like this every year I try a ton of new stuff in spring...some sticks, some doesn't, but I always have my essentials covered :D
Yeah, love what Kerr said at half time "I'm really happy he's on our team". Ok, will stop random topics in this thread :D

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:51 am

HdnRibs wrote:
TommyG wrote:hey Frosty, this is TT, you know what you have to do!! Let us know how they compare. :big grin: \:D/
X 2 :lol:
Hey guys that's Bronzefly's job right :D

Hogsticker you're making me wish I'd have just ordered the 103 :crying:

And...Go Golden State!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:18 am

Frosty wrote: Hey guys that's Bronzefly's job right :D
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1578.JPG (96.68 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
One of each, mounted on 7'3" Heavy Hammer Rods... I'll be playing around with them over the next couple of weeks for sure :D

Westbankcougar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Westbankcougar » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:06 am

Interested in Bronzefly's reviews

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 am

bronzefly wrote:
Frosty wrote: Hey guys that's Bronzefly's job right :D
IMG_1578.JPG
One of each, mounted on 7'3" Heavy Hammer Rods... I'll be playing around with them over the next couple of weeks for sure :D
=D> Outstanding! Give us the 411 Gary :D