Steez SV w/ Megabass IS BFS Spool HH BFS Bearing

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez SV w/ Megabass IS BFS Spool HH BFS Bearing

Post by reddragon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Hey Guys I just purchased this spool and am planning to throw it into my steez sv. I needed some insight on line type, # and etc. to have it work to its best potential. I currently do not have a rod for it yet, but I would love it if I could get some recommendations from the BFS pro's on this forum. A question I have been wondering about is, at what weight is this spool the most consistent, especially since it has the HH Air BFS Bearing upgrade? Also how light can this spool cast and still be effective on the water, without having to deal with backlashes every other cast? I do not want to throw anything over 3/8 oz. with this set-up, any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Rusty McFot
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez SV w/ Megabass IS BFS Spool HH BFS Bearing

Post by Rusty McFot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:37 pm

I can't comment on a Steez with the BF spool, but I have two Zonda Hedgehogs with BF spools. Both with HH Air BFS bearings.

I have them on a Destroyer X7 Super Criffhanger and a Destroyer X7 Shading-X.

I can easily cast down to 4g (1/8oz plus a little bit) all day long, with no backlashes. I usually have the mag dial around 10-13. I have them both spooled with 8lb Sniper FC.

The Super Criffhanger loads up beautifully with a 1/8 jig head and 2" soft plastic, so it's really about 4.5g. I can send that setup at least 30m (100' ish). I'm sure I could go lighter if I tried, and switched to my Majorcraft Volkey or MS-X Limited.

The performance on the Shading-X is the same, though I feel the Super Criffhanger loads up with a little more feeling.

Please excuse my ignorance with imperial units. I live in a metric world. You should all try it. It's glorious. Vive la France! :-({|= :lol:

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 pm

The spool can throw about as light as your rod allows it to. Like the post above I have a similar Zonda bfs spool. This weekend was testing 1/8oz + small plastic on a NFC HM MB663-1 blank. Rated at 1/8 -3/8. Easily was able to get 20-25 yards without fine tuning.

For bfs line I've switched to Yozuri copolymer lines (6lb) and really like it. Only slightly less sensitive than flouro but a lot more manageable and softer.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:20 pm

You will be fine going down to 1/16 oz jigs without trailer, but it honestly depends on having a solid weight. 1/16 oz jigs are much easier to cast than 3/16 oz hollow plugs. Spinning reel will fit the bill better for those.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I've yet to figure out what rod I'm going to get but I'm thinking about a 6'3-6'6 that can handle 3/8 oz. But not rated for 3/8oz. Because I fear it will have too much power when I want to throw 1/16 - 1/8 as well. The weight range I want to throw would be 1/16 - 1/4 , I wouldn't mind 1/32 but I don't think there will be any consistancy in casting and distances with that weight. Also I wouldn't mind a 7ft bfs rod but I've read that the extra length for bfs can actually decrease the distance of a cast if it doesn't load correctly with the lure?

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Hey guys so as some of you may have seen I've posted a WTB BFS rod in the classifieds. I've gotten a lot of nice rods brought up to my attention, but I think I finally know what I want to try to do with this set-up. I primarily would want to throw 1/16 crappie jigs, hair jigs, 3/16 - 1/4 small lures, small keitechs and weightless plastics. Would I be better off with a Light power rod or a ML power rod?

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:46 am

I would make the decision based on the amount of cover you throw into. For little to no cover I would go light, if it's a bit weedy I would choose ml. It's a trade off between ease of casting and controlling the fish after your hooked up. I would probably go ML if it's more of an all rounder with those baits. I have used some rods that were a little too light for the cover and have had some frustrating experiences.

This is TT so you will probably want both eventually. If it's the first time you are going to try a BFS setup maybe start closer to the middle and go lighter on your next one. You will end up with a more versatile rod that will likely get used more.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 am

Farnorth wrote:I would make the decision based on the amount of cover you throw into. For little to no cover I would go light, if it's a bit weedy I would choose ml. It's a trade off between ease of casting and controlling the fish after your hooked up. I would probably go ML if it's more of an all rounder with those baits. I have used some rods that were a little too light for the cover and have had some frustrating experiences.

This is TT so you will probably want both eventually. If it's the first time you are going to try a BFS setup maybe start closer to the middle and go lighter on your next one. You will end up with a more versatile rod that will likely get used more.
I'm so used to powering all my fish in, this is going to be a change for sure. But I do agree with a lot guy had to say.